Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Paul?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Default Who is Paul?

With the reveal arc about to start and spread across the next 3 months. It's time to see if we can figure out who Paul is.
    Is a random dude MJ meets?
    Is he the emissary?
    Maybe a former employee of Beyond who wanted MJ for himself?
    Mysterio?

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I believe he is The Emissary of Wayeb and clearly has either altered history or created some sort of dreamscape in which to torment Peter Parker.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Spectacular Member

With the little tidbits we’ve been given, I’d wager he’s just the guy MJ moved on with after waiting some time for Peter.

-He’s supposed to come off as warm and friendly in issue #1, even if that isn’t really portrayed well
    -He attempts to talk to Peter about unwanted calls towards MJ
    -He’s helped Peter out by getting the debt collector off his back, showing he isn’t a heartless bastard
    -He’s protected MJ from a Peter in stalker mode, if that flashback punch is being read right
    -Lowe has said it isn’t Paul who is keeping MJ from talking to Peter, so he seems rather alright with Peter besides the stalker ex stuff getting tossed around in dialogue

At the end of the day, Paul freaking sucks. But I do think he’s generally just a dude, in the same way Bobby Carr and Ollie were. Maybe he’s got some skeletons in the closet that’ll come out down the road, but I don’t think he’s some secret mercenary for Wayeb that’ll get revealed in the upcoming arc.

a man who is hated mainly cause he is sleeping with MJ
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by logo449 View Post
    With the little tidbits we’ve been given, I’d wager he’s just the guy MJ moved on with after waiting some time for Peter.

-He’s supposed to come off as warm and friendly in issue #1, even if that isn’t really portrayed well
    -He attempts to talk to Peter about unwanted calls towards MJ
    -He’s helped Peter out by getting the debt collector off his back, showing he isn’t a heartless bastard
    -He’s protected MJ from a Peter in stalker mode, if that flashback punch is being read right
    -Lowe has said it isn’t Paul who is keeping MJ from talking to Peter, so he seems rather alright with Peter besides the stalker ex stuff getting tossed around in dialogue

At the end of the day, Paul freaking sucks. But I do think he’s generally just a dude, in the same way Bobby Carr and Ollie were. Maybe he’s got some skeletons in the closet that’ll come out down the road, but I don’t think he’s some secret mercenary for Wayeb that’ll get revealed in the upcoming arc.
    That was early on in the book too. Plus it's really easy to have a new OC character out blue that like in movies and shows is revealed to be evil all of along. Or it could be the same as the debt collector. He was just randomly a serial killer. It could have been they wanted to explore him more, but in the end decided to just cut bait early. It's clear he won't make it past this arc

An in-universe representative of Marvel Editorial for why Peter and MJ can't be together.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    a man who is hated mainly cause he is sleeping with MJ
    Pretty much this.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

He's just a normal man...
    He's just an innocent man...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    He's just a normal man...
    He's just an innocent man...
    How many movies or shows or comic books have you seen that disprove this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    How many movies or shows or comic books have you seen that disprove this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr_vl62JblQ

Extraordinary Member

Could he be....spoilers:
    Mephisto??
    end of spoilers
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Incredible Member

A speed bump met to remove another character from the story. Has no personality and no point existing was the story is done

Astonishing Member

Why do all the Pauls in the Spiderverse suck? First Paul Stacy, and now this guy. No theory on who or what he is though. I’m not sure he won’t just be a normal guy like that firefighter MJ dated during Slott’s run.*

*- ah, Pedro. We barely knew ye.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 02-21-2023 at 04:21 PM.

He's Lars, Lars I tell ya!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Why do all the Pauls in the Spiderverse suck? First Paul Stacy, and now this guy. No theory on who or what he is though. I’m not sure he won’t just be a normal guy like that firefighter MJ dated during Slott’s run.*

*- ah, Pedro. We barely knew ye.
    I'm guessing future murder victim.