Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'm actually a bit surprised they haven't revisited that universe again. The premise is so simple yet powerful and just lends itself to an Elseworlds/alternate universe story.

But I suppose few writers actually have the creativity to do an alternate Batman who isn't necessarily darker and edgier than the mainstream version...
    Wll, Batman at the time of the story wasn't really that dark himself, so it wouldn't be impossible to do.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, Batman at the time of the story wasn't really that dark himself, so it wouldn't be impossible to do.
    True. I'm talking about contemporary writers though.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    True. I'm talking about contemporary writers though.
    Mark Russell or Kurt Busiek would be a good fit.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-23-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Incredible Member

A world where all the heroes and villains are wrestlers. Superman isn't defending the world he's defending the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. Don't really know if you go full powers or just people using the names as gimmicks.

Gene Yang did a retro take on Batman and Superman during his run in World's Finest. So I wouldn't mind having him explore his take further.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

-A current age earth in a world that older heroes didn't resurrect(Clark died in DoSM, Hal is still Paradax, Bruce and Barbara can't be active anymore,...) and the next heroes(Wally,Dick , Kyle) are old.
    I've given this a LOT of thought, like off-hand I know that John, Dinah, and Zantana are some of the only leaguers who have never died or so I've read. If I was tasked to have an ongoing elseworlds it'd be a series like this I'd call it:

Dc: Attrition
    Attrition
    Noun: 1.the action or process of gradually reducing the strength or effectiveness of someone or something through sustained attack or pressure. "the council is trying to wear down the opposition by attrition"
    Similar: wearing down wearing away weakening debilitation enfeebling sapping attenuation harassment harrying
    2. CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY (in scholastic theology) sorrow, but not contrition, for sin.

I've seen a few worlds that dc touched on where it was "What if there was no trinity" and you know I think... well I think the show would just go on. Morre importantly there are some things that would be amazing to see.
    Like how many people step up to be superman each generation. How the Batman doesn't even blink because he actually trained his replacements and (might have cloned himself Idk) how Vixen or Nightshade or any others might bring their mythology to the forefront without Diana about or maybe Donna Troy steps up. but beyond that there's a lot of crises and things that arise which would be interesting if Dick Grayson and his gang were dealing with it.
    I myself though prefer horror writing and in that often you create 10 characters with friends, family, pets, hobbies... and then kill 9 of them so its easy for me to think about. Thing is that can keep the story going quite well, and real life is kinda like that
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 02-24-2023 at 01:45 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Earth-90 – Basically, an Earth in which most of the established heroes and villains were a product of the 90's DC, or, at least post COIE, at the most of the early 2000's. Mant consider the 90's an era of excesses, of gritted teeth, big boobs and guns, and foiled variant covers. But I also thought it a time of a lot of creativity.

Vanguard of Justice –

• Breach – Major Tim Zanetti. Living trans-dimensional energy inside an almost indestructible human shaped containment suit. Super-strong, and capable of flight, surviving in hostile environments and firing high-powered radiation blasts, Breach is one of the Vanguard’s heaviest hitters.
    • Mr. Terrific – Michael Holt, possibly the world’s smartest man, and a master of several martial arts. Founding Member.
    • Dr. Light – A freak accident gave Dr. Kimiyo Hoshi absolute control over all forms of light. Although brash and arrogant, Kimiyo takes it upon herself to become Japan’s super-human protector. Her association with the Vanguard, and intellectual peers Mr. Terrific and Rampage, has served to humble a bit Kimiyo.
    • Huntress – Helena Bertinelli’s whole family was killed in a gang war attack. Daughter of a crime boss, she used her family’s resources and money to become Huntress and insure that no one else would have to go through what she did.
    • Ion – Kyle Rayner is one of dozens beings across the galaxy imbued with a mysterious power that originates at the center of the universe, unfortunately, not all of them use this incredible power as responsibly as Rayner. The green energy allows this graphic artist to literally bring his imagination to life. Founding Member.
    • Booster Gold – Michael Carter came back in time from the 25th century, with an array of sophisticated weapons, to become a famous hero in the 21st century. His suit grants him enhanced strength, allows him to fly, generate powerful force fields, and fire powerful force blasts. He also has a companion in the super-smart mobile micro-computer Skeets.
    • Alpha Centurion – Marcus Aelius. A Roman centurion who spent two thousand years away from Earth among the Virmiru, a highly advanced alien society. Aelius returned to Earth armed with advanced weapons only to learn that he was supposed to serve as a beachhead in the Virmiru’s invasion of the planet. As the Alpha Centurion, Aelius became one of the planet’s foremost defenders, and sought in the Vanguard allies to repel the forthcoming invasion.
    • Bloodwynd – Malcom Wynd is the most prominent sorcerer in this reality. A Necromancer. The Multi-Mage. The mystic gem, created with the blood of slaves, imbedded in his chest grants him access to ancient mystical energies, which he can use in a variety of ways. Founding Member.
    • Rampage – A lab accident gave scientist Kitty Faulker the ability to morph into the seven-foot powerhouse known as Rampage. Kitty has a relationship with Will Payton. Founding Member.
    • Dr. Mid-Nite – A cruel accident left Dr. Pieter Cross sightless forcing him to adopt the identity of the shadowy crusader known as Doctor Mid-Nite. Armed with a wide variety of medicine-based weapons, as well as blackout bombs and special goggles, which allow him to see in a variety of different wavelengths, Doc is one of the most respected superhero of Earth 90. Founding Member.
    • Starman – Will Payton, imbued with the power of a star. Super-strong, almost invulnerable, able to fly at fantastic speeds, to emit heat blasts of incredible intensity, and possessing limited shape-shifting abilities. Alongside Breach is arguably the most powerful member of the Vanguard, and one of the most visible and popular heroes of Earth-90. Founding Member.

Team Titan –

• Technocrat – Loosing his wife to the menace of the H’san Natall, industrialist and engineer Geoffrey Baron dedicated his fortune and his genius to build a defense against them. In the illegitimate children of the H’san Natall Baron finds the perfect weapon. A suit of armor of his own design transforms Baron into Technocrat.
    • Risk – Cody Driscoll. Super-strong, almost invulnerable, and more courage than brains.
    • Slagger – Isaiah Crockett. The most mature member of the team and able to generate unbelievable heat though his hands. Due to his affinity for science, Slagger develops a surrogate father-son relationship with Technocrat.
    • Argent – Toni Louise Monetti. Spoiled and immature, but her solid plasma constructs are a force to be reckoned with.
    • Prysm – Arguably the most powerful member of the team. Can fly, survive in all kinds of different environments and emit powerful energies through her eyes.

Independent Players –

• Manhunter – Kate Spencer. Using advanced weaponry confiscated from super-criminals themselves to wage a war on crime.
    • Azrael – Jean Paul Valley. The strong arm of the order of Saint Dumas, finding out that his masters are not all he thinks they are.
    • Zauriel – An angel descended from heaven to fight for us mortals.
    • Agent Liberty – The US government’s own super-hero. Armed with cutting-edge technology, former CIA agent Benjamin Lockwood takes on all of America’s enemies.
    • Triumph – Will McIntyre, one of the founders of the Vanguard of Justice, expelled for serious misconduct. Triumph’s control of magnetic fields gives him an array of extraordinary abilities, such as super-strength, flight, force-field generation and electrostatic blasts, making him one of Earth 90’s most powerful meta-humans.

Villains: The Power Elite, Colonel Computron, Plasmax, The Extremists (2nd Gen.), Murder Masters – (Deadline, Bomb-Blast, Cyanide, Garrote, Blade), Nero, Ephemera, Dark Nemesis, Lord Biis, the Defiler, Asmodel, Prof Melrose and his Artillery units, Jugular, Sonar.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Earth-90 – Basically, an Earth in which most of the established heroes and villains were a product of the 90's DC, or, at least post COIE, at the most of the early 2000's. Mant consider the 90's an era of excesses, of gritted teeth, big boobs and guns, and foiled variant covers. But I also thought it a time of a lot of creativity.

Vanguard of Justice –

• Breach – Major Tim Zanetti. Living trans-dimensional energy inside an almost indestructible human shaped containment suit. Super-strong, and capable of flight, surviving in hostile environments and firing high-powered radiation blasts, Breach is one of the Vanguard’s heaviest hitters.
    • Mr. Terrific – Michael Holt, possibly the world’s smartest man, and a master of several martial arts. Founding Member.
    • Dr. Light – A freak accident gave Dr. Kimiyo Hoshi absolute control over all forms of light. Although brash and arrogant, Kimiyo takes it upon herself to become Japan’s super-human protector. Her association with the Vanguard, and intellectual peers Mr. Terrific and Rampage, has served to humble a bit Kimiyo.
    • Huntress – Helena Bertinelli’s whole family was killed in a gang war attack. Daughter of a crime boss, she used her family’s resources and money to become Huntress and insure that no one else would have to go through what she did.
    • Ion – Kyle Rayner is one of dozens beings across the galaxy imbued with a mysterious power that originates at the center of the universe, unfortunately, not all of them use this incredible power as responsibly as Rayner. The green energy allows this graphic artist to literally bring his imagination to life. Founding Member.
    • Booster Gold – Michael Carter came back in time from the 25th century, with an array of sophisticated weapons, to become a famous hero in the 21st century. His suit grants him enhanced strength, allows him to fly, generate powerful force fields, and fire powerful force blasts. He also has a companion in the super-smart mobile micro-computer Skeets.
    • Alpha Centurion – Marcus Aelius. A Roman centurion who spent two thousand years away from Earth among the Virmiru, a highly advanced alien society. Aelius returned to Earth armed with advanced weapons only to learn that he was supposed to serve as a beachhead in the Virmiru’s invasion of the planet. As the Alpha Centurion, Aelius became one of the planet’s foremost defenders, and sought in the Vanguard allies to repel the forthcoming invasion.
    • Bloodwynd – Malcom Wynd is the most prominent sorcerer in this reality. A Necromancer. The Multi-Mage. The mystic gem, created with the blood of slaves, imbedded in his chest grants him access to ancient mystical energies, which he can use in a variety of ways. Founding Member.
    • Rampage – A lab accident gave scientist Kitty Faulker the ability to morph into the seven-foot powerhouse known as Rampage. Kitty has a relationship with Will Payton. Founding Member.
    • Dr. Mid-Nite – A cruel accident left Dr. Pieter Cross sightless forcing him to adopt the identity of the shadowy crusader known as Doctor Mid-Nite. Armed with a wide variety of medicine-based weapons, as well as blackout bombs and special goggles, which allow him to see in a variety of different wavelengths, Doc is one of the most respected superhero of Earth 90. Founding Member.
    • Starman – Will Payton, imbued with the power of a star. Super-strong, almost invulnerable, able to fly at fantastic speeds, to emit heat blasts of incredible intensity, and possessing limited shape-shifting abilities. Alongside Breach is arguably the most powerful member of the Vanguard, and one of the most visible and popular heroes of Earth-90. Founding Member.
    I would add Darkstar Ferrin Colos as the alien representat of an extraterrestrial force.

Team Titan –

• Technocrat – Loosing his wife to the menace of the H’san Natall, industrialist and engineer Geoffrey Baron dedicated his fortune and his genius to build a defense against them. In the illegitimate children of the H’san Natall Baron finds the perfect weapon. A suit of armor of his own design transforms Baron into Technocrat.
    • Risk – Cody Driscoll. Super-strong, almost invulnerable, and more courage than brains.
    • Slagger – Isaiah Crockett. The most mature member of the team and able to generate unbelievable heat though his hands. Due to his affinity for science, Slagger develops a surrogate father-son relationship with Technocrat.
    • Argent – Toni Louise Monetti. Spoiled and immature, but her solid plasma constructs are a force to be reckoned with.
    • Prysm – Arguably the most powerful member of the team. Can fly, survive in all kinds of different environments and emit powerful energies through her eyes.
    I had forget this team also was part of the 90s. I always saw the early 90's Titans (Dagon, Kilowatt, Redwing, Mirage, Terra 2, and Battalion) as the more 90s Titans team. Curiously, both teams shared the concept of being originated from an evil source and the Titans fighting for defeat that destiny.

Independent Players –

• Manhunter – Kate Spencer. Using advanced weaponry confiscated from super-criminals themselves to wage a war on crime.
    • Azrael – Jean Paul Valley. The strong arm of the order of Saint Dumas, finding out that his masters are not all he thinks they are.
    • Zauriel – An angel descended from heaven to fight for us mortals.
    • Agent Liberty – The US government’s own super-hero. Armed with cutting-edge technology, former CIA agent Benjamin Lockwood takes on all of America’s enemies.
    • Triumph – Will McIntyre, one of the founders of the Vanguard of Justice, expelled for serious misconduct. Triumph’s control of magnetic fields gives him an array of extraordinary abilities, such as super-strength, flight, force-field generation and electrostatic blasts, making him one of Earth 90’s most powerful meta-humans.
    Maybe there are space for the half Vuldarian Warrior, and the champion of the Q Order, Aztek.

Villains: The Power Elite, Colonel Computron, Plasmax, The Extremists (2nd Gen.), Murder Masters – (Deadline, Bomb-Blast, Cyanide, Garrote, Blade), Nero, Ephemera, Dark Nemesis, Lord Biis, the Defiler, Asmodel, Prof Melrose and his Artillery units, Jugular, Sonar.

Peace
    Good job, sir, good job.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 02-24-2023 at 03:01 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Easy for me combine the Wildstorm era of 1999 to 2009 with the Justice Society of America from 2007 to pre 52 and you would have my favourite universe. Imagine the fun discovering that Elijah Snow was a secret sponsor of the JSA in the 40's for example plus picture Power girl as liaison for Stormwatch & JSA,it has so much potential
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 02-25-2023 at 08:10 AM.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

It's been done in animation, but a feudal Japan version of the DCU akin to "Dark Knights of Steel." It can still be fantastical, but still keeping within the general theme, throw in some anime-inspired mystical stuff, etc.

A fantasy world, but with the already magical characters reinvented as sci-fi ones for contrast.

When Steve Trevor crashes onto Themyscira, the first thing Diana does when finding him is scan him with her tricorder.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    A fantasy world, but with the already magical characters reinvented as sci-fi ones for contrast.

When Steve Trevor crashes onto Themyscira, the first thing Diana does when finding him is scan him with her tricorder.
    Ooh, the notion of 'Paradise Island' being hidden from the world by super-technology, and inhabited by women who had access to alien technology back in ancient Grecian times and safeguarded it (and the advanced medical tech that made them more or less immortal, through nanotech, which has been super-charged in Diana to enhance her strength and reflexes as well) is super cool!

And there could be a world that has that idea in reverse. Tech based characters like Captain Cold and Weather Wizard could be occultists, or dabblers who have stumbled upon / located powerful mystical relics with powers over cold or weather, with some being fledgling magicians, specialized in the sorts of magic that their tech represented, and others being entirely dependent on their magical talismans.

Instead of alien / ultra-tech battlesuit, Lex Luthor could be a ruthless collector of occult artifacts, and finally stumble upon (or have crafted by a legion of lesser spellcrafters forced / extorted into working for him?) who wears a magical suit of armor (perhaps even plundered from Atlantean relics?) with various magical powers, instead. (Elemental crystals and talismans of air allow flight, stone allow great strength and toughness, fire allows fiery blasts, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post

So would Superman be an angel or an demigod?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's been done in animation, but a feudal Japan version of the DCU akin to "Dark Knights of Steel." It can still be fantastical, but still keeping within the general theme, throw in some anime-inspired mystical stuff, etc.
    That was a different version of the Bat Family, for sure. And one of the few to include all 4 main sons.

Combining DC with anime in general has a lot of potential. The Batman one was fun, and it worked (even with the big basket on Jason, and poor Damian's haircut). And it could lead to crossovers like what Marvel did with Attack on Titan.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    So would Superman be an angel or an demigod?
    'Warrior Angel,' like in the Smallville comic, could be amusing. Just stop dancing around the religious savior metaphors, and grab it by the throat!