Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Why is it always black though? To me it just looks like to Disney and other studios diversity = black woman. Where is the "representation for the little asian girl or the little latina girl or the countless other underrepresented people? It is always black women which in itself is fine in some cases, but it needs to stop just being the default setting if they are really going for diversity.
    Disney had Asian and Native American princess leads years before they did one with a black princess

Invincible Member

Plus there's been movies like Coco, Encanto, and Turning Red starring Latino and Asian leads in recent years, so it's not like black girls are dominating the kids/family/YA animated market...if anything they're trying to catch up
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-18-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Hmm...what wouldn't they get away with nowadays? Remember when Norman Osborn killed Peter and Mary Jane's unborn child back in the 90's? I don't think that is something they could do today.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Bobby had been hinted at for years. How much foreshadowing is expected when writers like Claremont have explicitly come out and said Marvel would not let him write characters like Mystique and Destiny as obviously gay? Everyone keeps trying to move the goalposts instead of just saying "I have a problem with this character coming out of the closet because I would prefer they be straight, like 95% of the other characters." Say it with your chest.
    Even back in the very first issue of X-Men, when Jean arrives, Hank, Scott and Warren all fall for her immediately. Even Xavier will admit that he'd be interested in her if she wasn't his student. Bobby's the only one who isn't interested. Makes sense why in hindsight. At the time you could just assume it was because he was the youngest, but it makes sense in hindsight that it was actually just because he was gay. All of his later girlfriends were just a way of hiding it (Kitty Pryde was his last one if I remember right - she's since been revealed to be queer as well).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Where did you see them claim they intentionally wanted to cast someone who doesn't look like the cartoon version?
    Hmmm.... I might have gotten than mixed up with the Tinkerbell one. That... yeah.... that outright said they specifically looked for color first.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The last time I read a comic with Iceman was an X-Men Annual by Duggan. Iceman acted completely normal and the only "indication" of his sexuality was a joke when they fought Bi-Beast, so I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Someone throw up scans of how Bobby is written recently so we can put this to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    The last time I read a comic with Iceman was an X-Men Annual by Duggan. Iceman acted completely normal and the only "indication" of his sexuality was a joke when they fought Bi-Beast, so I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Someone throw up scans of how Bobby is written recently so we can put this to rest.
    The poster is probably referring to Bobby's solo series written by Sina Grace, who is queer himself. Released right after his coming out, both series plots revolve around Bobby coming to terms with his sexuality.

Bobby's typical humor was present, but through a gay lense and felt true to the community he is a part of.

It was rather refreshing to see a gay character embody an actual gay person.

Why this poster thinks they are can say derogatory statements and seemingly cutting trans people of the LGBTQ+ community is beyond me.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by postfutureshock View Post
    The poster is probably referring to Bobby's solo series written by Sina Grace, who is queer himself. Released right after his coming out, both series plots revolve around Bobby coming to terms with his sexuality.

Bobby's typical humor was present, but through a gay lense and felt true to the community he is a part of.

It was rather refreshing to see a gay character embody an actual gay person.

Why this poster thinks they are can say derogatory statements and seemingly cutting trans people of the LGBTQ+ community is beyond me.
    That was over a year ago so it feels dishonest.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'm currently reading through Claremont's New Mutants and somebody calls Dani Moonstar "chief". Holy cow nowadays I don't think even the Red Skull would say something so racist.

The Claremont X-comics were as progressive as you possibly could be for the 1980s, but because they were on the cutting edge you had a lot of stuff that nowadays are completely taboo. For instance two white civilians were transformed into Native Americans by Dani's Demon Bear and it's treated like they received some horrifying injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'm currently reading through Claremont's New Mutants and somebody calls Dani Moonstar "chief". Holy cow nowadays I don't think even the Red Skull would say something so racist.

The Claremont X-comics were as progressive as you possibly could be for the 1980s, but because they were on the cutting edge you had a lot of stuff that nowadays are completely taboo. For instance two white civilians were transformed into Native Americans by Dani's Demon Bear and it's treated like they received some horrifying injury.
    I mean... the list of reasons to call someone "chief" is.... quite long though. it's often used just as a way to say "leader".... in general.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I mean... the list of reasons to call someone "chief" is.... quite long though. it's often used just as a way to say "leader".... in general.
    Did the person call anyone else "chief" or just the Native American?

I'd also add that the list of other names to use instead is even longer than the one for using "chief."

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Did the person call anyone else "chief" or just the Native American?

I'd also add that the list of other names to use instead is even longer than the one for using "chief."
    Yeah, good questions. I have no idea.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's a bit of a shame that the best Marvel comic (Daredevil: Born Again) would be very different today.

I don't think Marvel would go for bold moves like the MAX line.
    Isn't DC's current Black line a very similar thing, though? Alternate universes with themes of violence and sexuality?

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Censorship means that you "wouldn't get away with" saying something. Either if it is hard censorship (things banned by law) or soft censorship (self-censorship by fear of rejection), the result is the same.
    The article is clickbait. If they had called it "comic book moments that were shocking", fewer people would talk about it. Many of these stories were published during an age when people like you were trying to convince us that "political correctness is running amok". Now they call it woke instead of PC, but shocking stories still get published.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Isn't DC's current Black line a very similar thing, though? Alternate universes with themes of violence and sexuality?
    Similar, yes, but the degree of sex and violence was greater with Max than it is with DC Black Label. Black Label is probably closer to the Marvel Knights imprint than it is Max.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?