Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They sort of touched on Tony's drinking issues in the second movie. I don't think there's any concerns about it being inappropriate or whatever.

The China thing in general, if you're still talking about movies/TV, I'm more inclined to agree. There's marketing reasons for that. Plus if we're talking about the Uyghur situation in particular, there's the politics but also I don't think a whole lot of Americans even know what's going on there.

I'm not so sure what you feel might be controversial about "Born Again" today ( we've already seen elements show up in live action)...is it the 80's Central American war aspect?
    It's more about a supporting character who was the main romantic interest in the first five years of the title becoming a drug addicted sex worker who sells her ex-boyfriend's secret for heroin. And this is the first three pages.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Kitty using the n word to make a point??

https://www.cbr.com/you-go-your-way-...of-the-n-word/
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's more about a supporting character who was the main romantic interest in the first five years of the title becoming a drug addicted sex worker who sells her ex-boyfriend's secret for heroin. And this is the first three pages.
    On the Daredevil TV show she's already a former drug addict who's responsible for I think two deaths ( I can't remember )? It's not a stretch to suggest that that version of the character may have done sex work or traded favors for drugs. Having said that, yeah...the sex work part, if anything, would probably be the thing they would be coy about in live action.

In today's comics, I don't think it'd be that big of a deal.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Kitty using the n word to make a point??

https://www.cbr.com/you-go-your-way-...of-the-n-word/
    Ha! Now this you probably wouldn't see today in a mainstream Marvel book.

On the Daredevil TV show she's already a former drug addict who's responsible for I think two deaths ( I can't remember )? It's not a stretch to suggest that that version of the character may have done sex work or traded favors for drugs. Having said that, yeah...the sex work part, if anything, would probably be the thing they would be coy about in live action.

In today's comics, I don't think it'd be that big of a deal.
    There's a difference between a character being a former drug addict, and showing the character at rock bottom.

I'm having a tough time thinking of recent Marvel/ DC stories where a major character hits rock bottom (IE- when an issue of Green Arrow ended with him walking on Speedy and a heroin needle.)

They sort of touched on Tony's drinking issues in the second movie. I don't think there's any concerns about it being inappropriate or whatever.

The China thing in general, if you're still talking about movies/TV, I'm more inclined to agree. There's marketing reasons for that. Plus if we're talking about the Uyghur situation in particular, there's the politics but also I don't think a whole lot of Americans even know what's going on there.
    I answered the Born Again question, but as for the other stuff, they touched on Tony's drinking, but that is different from a story in which he acknowledges that he's an alcoholic.

There are two issues here. The culture has probably gotten more permissive and a bit too pro-alcohol. We don't seem to have as many mainstream works of art where a major character reckons with being an alcoholic. In the 1940s, it was the topic of a best picture winner.

The second is that Disney doesn't have the guts that Marvel did. To be fair, comic books are significantly cheaper to make than blockbuster films.

Because all these characters are part of a multi-billion dollar cinematic universe (to say nothing of TV shows, video games, etc.) there seems to be greater caution with what they're willing to do in the comics. They don't want characters to be bad role models, or buzzkills.

I think if someone wanted to tell a story about Uyghurs in the pages of Iron Man or Captain America, it could be done in an accessible way. But they don't want to do stories about China as a bad guy. From a narrative standpoint, China is an obvious story engine for all sorts of adversaries, but the people making decisions about Shanghai Disneyland could get pissed off about events in comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You did, on 22nd February.
    Yeah, I realized it after my post.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 08-02-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Moondragon, a later hero, raping Thor and turning normal innocent humans into Supervillains so Earth would be ready for Thanos.
    Those guys were never cured either. What the hell Moondragon!

Another is having the Max version of Howard the Duck parody Mickey Mouse.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's a difference between a character being a former drug addict, and showing the character at rock bottom.

I'm having a tough time thinking of recent Marvel/ DC stories where a major character hits rock bottom (IE- when an issue of Green Arrow ended with him walking on Speedy and a heroin needle.)
    As long as the character cleans up or somehow redeems themselves by the end, I don't the think the powers that be would be bothered by such a depiction. But yeah, I can think of seeing serious stories about drug addicts in recent comics but I'm not sure when the last time it's been in a Marvel/DC superhero Comic. There was a recent Icon comic where he and Rocket destroy all the narcotics in America, but it didn't really deal with the effects of drug addiction. I'll also admit though I don't keep up with all the current books, so something like we've been talking about could have happened recently and I just haven't seen it.

The second is that Disney doesn't have the guts that Marvel did. To be fair, comic books are significantly cheaper to make than blockbuster films.

Because all these characters are part of a multi-billion dollar cinematic universe (to say nothing of TV shows, video games, etc.) there seems to be greater caution with what they're willing to do in the comics. They don't want characters to be bad role models, or buzzkills.

I think if someone wanted to tell a story about Uyghurs in the pages of Iron Man or Captain America, it could be done in an accessible way. But they don't want to do stories about China as a bad guy. From a narrative standpoint, China is an obvious story engine for all sorts of adversaries, but the people making decisions about Shanghai Disneyland could get pissed off about events in comic books.
    I don't think Disney having guts is really the issue...They now and in the past have owned companies and/or distributed material that was not "family friendly," although of course the Disney name wasn't associated with those products.

I mean you're right...they definitely don't want to people to think some film they sunk $100 mil into is too depressing, but then again, so far we've been talking about them adapting code approved comics from the 80's. I don't think Disney would be too worried about most of the material that came out then.

Valid point about Cap/Iron Man freeing the Uyghurs...
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-03-2023 at 08:18 PM.