Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    [*]Karen Page's AIDS (Daredevil, 1998)- Weren't they planning a version of this story for the TV series? Junkie sex worker dies from her lifestyle is not super controversial. It actually the story a lot of conservatives would promote.

[*]Gwen Stacy's death (Amazing Spider-Man #121, 1973)- They literally did this just a few years ago in the Garfield Spidey movies...

[*]Ultimate Captain America's portrayal (Ultimates)- Well, Ult Cap is an A-hole, so yeah...

[*]The Stamford Incident, which involved a school being destroyed (Civil War)- eh, I can totally see this happening in a MCU TV series or movie...

[*]Princess Diana of Wales joins X-Statix (X-Statix, 2003, edited before publication to remove references to the real life princess, who died in 1997),,,only cuz it's a real person and yeah it didn't happen then...

[*]Norman Osborn impregnating Gwen Stacy (Sins Past)....
    [*]Shang Chi, son of Fun Manchu (Master of Kung Fu)..only cuz Marvel doesn't have the rights to that specific character. They've since worked around it.

[*]Falcon revealed to be Snap Wilson, former gangster (Captain America #186)...A lot of fans don't like it cuz it goes back to blaxploitation stereotypes, but...it could be made to work in modern times.

[*]Marcus rapes Ms. Marvel (Avengers #200)...this one, yeah...

[*]Spider-Man reacts to 9/11 (Amazing Spider-Man vol 2 #36)...???
    How would you make the Falcon thing work?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

We already have that story. It's called Luke Cage, Hero for Hire.
    "Cable was right!"

On a podcast I listened to a few years ago, the hosts brought up the implication in the 90s that Adam X was the third Summers brother via Kate Summers having been raped while she was Emperor D'Ken's slave. I believe that's why when they finally did canonize the third Summers brother plot point, it was instead claimed that he was a product of genetic engineering using Kate's cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The complaint also ignores why it was controversial. "Blaxploitation" wasn't the problem. It was retconning a past as a drug dealer and a pimp onto one of the few semi-prominent (at the time; he's a much bigger deal now) black superheroes.

I don't think that one is about Marvel not having balls, though. They legally can't use the character of Fu Manchu.
    Fu Manchu is also pretty widely considered a racist caricature anyway. So even if they could use him there really was no reason not to change him.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Speaking of the Inhumans, probably the whole Alpha Primitive concept in general.
    I agree because I've read some blogs and articles that think Jack Kirby/Marvel was promoting/encouraging Alpha Primitive concept, and never talk about how the stories pre-Disney tried to teach a bit more using characters and situations. It's like if we said Tony Stark wanted the readers to drink alcohol more. It's asinine.

Extraordinary Member

I am sure this wouldn't go over well in this day and age...

All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

I don't think that one is about Marvel not having balls, though. They legally can't use the character of Fu Manchu.
    ^^^Its more a trademark issue than PD (like DC’s Captain Marvel’s name). If they wanted to they could use him.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Fu Manchu is also pretty widely considered a racist caricature anyway. So even if they could use him there really was no reason not to change him.
    ^^^As opposed to Germans as Nazis Red Skull and Baron Zemo, Russian as a spy Black Widow, escaped convict Luke Cage, Canadian w. the powers of a hockey puck Eugene Judd, the name says it all Brother Voodoo…

I’ll drop it though. My dislike of wokeness, the double standards attached to it, and the unnecessary giving in to it usually falls on deaf ears anyway.

-shrug-

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    My dislike of wokeness, the double standards attached to it, and the unnecessary giving in to it usually falls on deaf ears anyway.
    The thing is that "wokeness" doesn't have an exact definition nowadays except what the speaker using it wants to attack at that moment. For some, "wokeness" just means black people or women appearing in a comic or movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

I mean:

Although most people seeing the panel out-of-context would probably miss DD just being tongue-in-cheek with his girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

Of course not. Today you'd have to split this into three panels. DD's dialogue up until the slap on the ass, the slap on the ass, and the "Move it, Darling" comment. Plus how long has it been since anyone's been called a male chauvinist?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

^^^As opposed to Germans as Nazis Red Skull and Baron Zemo, Russian as a spy Black Widow, escaped convict Luke Cage, Canadian w. the powers of a hockey puck Eugene Judd, the name says it all Brother Voodoo…

-shrug-
    Yeah, as opposed to all of them. None of them have the same historical baggage as a racist depiction that Fu Manchu does. And as others in this thread have already noted, Shang's father is still en evil immortal crime lord, he's just not named after or drawn like a racial caricature.

Ultimate Member

On a podcast I listened to a few years ago, the hosts brought up the implication in the 90s that Adam X was the third Summers brother via Kate Summers having been raped while she was Emperor D'Ken's slave. I believe that's why when they finally did canonize the third Summers brother plot point, it was instead claimed that he was a product of genetic engineering using Kate's cells.

The complaint also ignores why it was controversial. "Blaxploitation" wasn't the problem. It was retconning a past as a drug dealer and a pimp onto one of the few semi-prominent (at the time; he's a much bigger deal now) black superheroes.

Exactly.

It was the retcon that was the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The thing is that "wokeness" doesn't have an exact definition nowadays except what the speaker using it wants to attack at that moment. For some, "wokeness" just means black people or women appearing in a comic or movie.
    ^^^which is why I consider it hypocritical…

Yeah, as opposed to all of them. None of them have the same historical baggage as a racist depiction that Fu Manchu does. And as others in this thread have already noted, Shang's father is still en evil immortal crime lord, he's just not named after or drawn like a racial caricature.
    …because ppl pick and choose what’s offensive and don’t see the schism in that.

…because ppl pick and choose what’s offensive and don’t see the schism in that.
    Or some things are simply more offensive than others. Again, the character is fundamentally the same except for the fact that he no longer has yellow skin or a name inexorably linked to yellow peril. Anyone upset about that is, quite ironically, seemingly looking for something to be offended by.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Keep the idea that Sam was raised by a kind preacher man and that Sam rebelled and went down the wrong path. Say his criminal career was relatively brief, maybe a year or two, but he came to his senses on own. Remembered his father's teaching and realized he was living a negative lifestyle left the mob on his own rather than being chased out of town. He went to the island where he met Steve in an attempt clear his head and get a new perspective. The Red Skull's mind control was not part of any long range plan, it happened only at that one moment when he physically attacked Steve.

Invincible Member

Indeed. Marvel has been able to do that with Yellow Claw ( who was a Fu Manchu rip off) and The Mandarin ( who while not a quite a rip off was clearly influenced by Fu Manchu).