Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. They're like Neanderthals. Mutants are not Homo Sapiens, they're Homo Superior - but they're still humans, just like Neanderthals were. Neanderthals apparently went extinct because they bred with Homo Sapiens. Of course Homo Superior can also breed with Homo Sapiens - the child might have the X gene and be Homo Superior, or it might not and would be Homo Sapiens. So unless someone's powers (i.e. a healing factor) prevented it, there's no reason mutants would be immune from AIDS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interb...s#Neanderthals
    Very good summary!

I wonder if characters with healing powers like Wolverine, Sabretooth, Hulk or Deadpool would be immune?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Very good summary!

I wonder if characters with healing powers like Wolverine, Sabretooth, Hulk or Deadpool would be immune?
    Back in Hulk #420 when Jim Wilson was in the late stages of AIDS, he asked for a transfusion of Bruce's gamma radiated blood on the hopes that might cure him. There was no mention of if that would actually work though, either factual (according to funnybook science) or even speculative.

It's a DC book, but Midnighter claims to have beaten AIDS in a week.

These are pretty much moot points as the sliding timescale now puts Marvel stories at a point where HIV and AIDS treatments are far more advanced than they were decades ago.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    Why were you condoning censorship in an earlier response and now supporting it? The “controversial books” being removed are because they feature LGBTQ people and minorities, that is not being politically neutral, the existence of LGBTQ people and minorities is not politically it’s a reality, and removing books for featuring those people is the only censorship I’ve been seeing. People existing is not a political issue, and if it is to you, that just means it’s already coming from a reactionary conservative standpoint

I respectfully disagree with you, I feel that that books are almost always removed from schools for the wrong reasons, because they feature a specific type of person that racists and homophobes get mad about.
    As far as I know, the books removed from schools in Florida are not removed because they feature minorities, but because they promote the Critical Race Theory. Yes, I fully support removing conspiracy theories from schools, public education must not be used for indoctrination. And that's not censorship: those books are still available at local bookstores for those who want to buy and read them. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights says that "Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children". It also says that education "shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups", and the CRT promotes resentment instead. You still have the right to be resented about anything if you want, but not in school.

This doesn't go anywhere anyway, so let's go back to comic examples.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    As far as I know, the books removed from schools in Florida are not removed because they feature minorities, but because they promote the Critical Race Theory. Yes, I fully support removing conspiracy theories from schools, public education must not be used for indoctrination. And that's not censorship: those books are still available at local bookstores for those who want to buy and read them. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights says that "Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children". It also says that education "shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups", and the CRT promotes resentment instead. You still have the right to be resented about anything if you want, but not in school.

This doesn't go anywhere anyway, so let's go back to comic examples.
    They don't teach critical race theory outside of university elective classes. They're brainwashing/gaslighting people like you because they know you won't actually study what it is, and the Right created this issue/conflict to win elections because they don't have any actual policy that will improve people's lives. It's easier to invent an issue that doesn't exist, like this one, because politicians can do anything and it would look like they're doing something. I don't know how people can trust politicians so much as to believe them when they're attacking several minorities, and then support government censorship because they were scared into believing they were teaching it to children.

First they went for the LGBTQI+ community, then the African American community, what's next?

Here's another image that wouldn't fly today

Of course, going against the Nazis nowadays is for free, but that cover was made in 1941. Nowadays, it would require Cap to deck someone else, someone who is abusing his military strength to invade and annex its weaker neighbors just because... like the Nazis did back then. But no, Cap is too busy with some ancient conspiracy and fighting nobodies in the prehistoric age to be bothered to do something about that.

Of course, going against the Nazis nowadays is for free, but that cover was made in 1941. Nowadays, it would require Cap to deck someone else, someone who is abusing his military strength to invade and annex its weaker neighbors just because... like the Nazis did back then. But no, Cap is too busy with some ancient conspiracy and fighting nobodies in the prehistoric age to be bothered to do something about that.
    I sort of agree with this. I’d love to see Steve Rogers slugging Putin in the face. It’d be the best thing Marvel published in possibly the last 40 years or so.

True. The Hitler image is considered OK now as seen in 2020's:

But even in 1941, the imagery of Cap punching a foreign head of state was criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Doctor Doom: the son of a Gypsy witch who sold her soul to the devil, ultimately leading to Doom himself becoming a Gypsy warlock, clad in armor with Soviet rivets in a country that is a stereotype of Eastern Europe. No way Doom gets created in the modern era.
    Doom is no Communist and certainly not a Soviet. There was even a Super Villain Team-Up storyline about how he was nominally US-aligned against the Soviets, which actually made sense at the time, given that he’s supposed to be an absolute monarch in Central and Eastern Europe. The Soviets didn’t love monarchies.

Also, Doom’s Gypsy or Romani people are presented, and rightly so given the real history, as victims of persecution.

No one objects to a fictional country that represents, well, no one, really. Any European microstate that you could think of bears no resemblance to Latveria at all, unless Marvel decides to make Latveria a tax shelter for billionaires and Russian oligarchs. No nationality objects to Doctor Doom or Latveria, because it is so fictional.
    Last edited by Brian B; 02-28-2023 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    …But even in 1941, the imagery of Cap punching a foreign head of state was criticized.
    Who objected? The Bund? Nazis? Those would not be serious objections. Those were anti-American and anti-democratic fascists.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Captain America being ANTIFAscist.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Kitty Pryde using the n word two or three times and maggot (with the f not m).
    In what issues was Kitty ever depicted using that kind of language?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    In what issues was Kitty ever depicted using that kind of language?
    Marvel Graphic Novel 5
    Uncanny X-Men 196
    New Mutants 45

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Who objected? The Bund? Nazis? Those would not be serious objections. Those were anti-American and anti-democratic fascists.
    IIRC, the conflict was between those who wanted to join the Allies (because defending democracy, because US allies were under attack, etc) vs. those who wanted to stay neutral (because it was a far away European war that may never reach the US). Of course, that was before Pearl Harbor: at that point side 2 ceased to exist, and all Americans were pro-Allies. Also note that the Holocaust was known, but the full extension that it took was not fully known until the concentration camps were liberated. Before that point people did not take much issue with mass killings, our modern sensibilities are in fact a result of the collective horror caused by the realization of the extent of the Holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Captain America being ANTIFAscist.
    Except for special short-term cases that were undone or ignored afterwards and done just for the OOC twist (such as Secret Empire and What If?) Captain America has always been antifacist.

IIRC, the conflict was between those who wanted to join the Allies (because defending democracy, because US allies were under attack, etc) vs. those who wanted to stay neutral (because it was a far away European war that may never reach the US). Of course, that was before Pearl Harbor: at that point side 2 ceased to exist, and all Americans were pro-Allies. Also note that the Holocaust was known, but the full extension that it took was not fully known until the concentration camps were liberated. Before that point people did not take much issue with mass killings, our modern sensibilities are in fact a result of the collective horror caused by the realization of the extent of the Holocaust.
    So, it was the Bund is what you’re saying. Yeah, those people don’t count.