Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    Attachment 130427

ULTIMATE INVASION #1 (OF 4)

JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • BRYAN HITCH (A/C) • FOIL VARIANT COVER BY BRYAN HITCH ALSO AVAILABLE
    NEGATIVE SPACE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO • VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO
    VARIANT COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS • VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    VARIANT COVER BY SARA PICHELLI • VARIANT COVER BY RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
    BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    THE TRANSFORMATION OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE BEGINS!
    Superstar creators Jonathan Hickman and Bryan Hitch team up!
    The Illuminati must form once again to stop the Maker from his plans to destroy – or perhaps rebuild – the universe, with Miles Morales at the center of it all! Bryan’s work on THE ULTIMATES helped redefine super hero comics for the 2000s - wait until you see what he and Jonathan have in store for this decade! Including new data pages by Jonathan Hickman - plus exclusive behind-the-scenes material on the world-building that has gone into this project!
    56 PGS./Rated T+ …$8.99
    NINE bucks!?!?!

sigh

May trade wait this one.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    NINE bucks!?!?!

sigh

May trade wait this one.
    yea, that's uhhh, excessive

The recently released Paul Levitz\Alan Davis joint's first issue was also 56 pages, but...

PAUL LEVITZ (W) • ALAN DAVIS (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY ALAN DAVIS • VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    STORMBREAKERS VARIANT COVER BY MARTIN COCCOLO
    56 PGS./Rated T …$5.99

I’m really not loving what I see of Hitch’s art. Something about the inking is too simple and the characters look stiff, posed. Am I the only one not loving the art?

I am interested in this. A sequel to Secret Wars or the Ultimate Universe sounds fun, despite my complaints about the art. I hope it ends with the relaunch of the Ultimate Universe.

Hitch’s art has been pretty stiff since he parted way with the inker he had back during his Authority/Ultimates days.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hitch’s art has been pretty stiff since he parted way with the inker he had back during his Authority/Ultimates days.
    He worked with Paul Neary a lot, and Hitch’s earliest Ultimates issues were with Andrew Currie.

Neary’s great. I always loved his inks over Alan Davis, too.

That might be it. Hitch might just need a different inker than himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I am interested in this. A sequel to Secret Wars or the Ultimate Universe sounds fun, despite my complaints about the art. I hope it ends with the relaunch of the Ultimate Universe.
    The link with the variant covers leaves that on the air, it's either a last look at the Ultimate Universe or the prologue to a relaunch. But then there's that other that says "wait until you see what he and Jonathan have in store for this decade! Including new data pages by Jonathan Hickman - plus exclusive behind-the-scenes material on the world-building that has gone into this project!". I doubt you would waste much world-building work if the idea is just a last look during mere 4 issues. And besides... Hickman. I doubt that Marvel would bring him just for that.

And there's also a bonus: the Multiverse is a big thing nowadays. Both with the new Phase of the MCU, and in DC Comics. Marvel is also playing with it (we have a Spider-Verse and Avengers Forever going on right now), but there's a distinct problem with them: it's all the 616 universe and expendable universes. Marvel needs something similar to Earth-2 (meaning, an alternate universe with enough unique lore to it) to really play the multiverse game. The Ultimate universe is the closest thing to it there is. There are others, yes, but none would work so well. The New Universe is about keeping fantasy to the minium, Heroes Reborn suck way too much, and the Wastelands were built around Old Man Logan and there's little point now that he's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    Attachment 130427

ULTIMATE INVASION #1 (OF 4)

JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • BRYAN HITCH (A/C) • FOIL VARIANT COVER BY BRYAN HITCH ALSO AVAILABLE
    NEGATIVE SPACE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO •VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO
    VARIANT COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS • VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    VARIANT COVER BY SARA PICHELLI • VARIANT COVER BY RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
    BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    THE TRANSFORMATION OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE BEGINS!
    1990s Marvel called. It told me to tell current Marvel that it's current comic book cover problem is even worse than the one it had. It's been where your at right now and is willing to help you. No pressure.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

"The Transformation of the Marvel Universe begins" tagline was used.

Hickman said this " we wanted this to be something that could really only exist in the comic space: a new way of thinking about, and enjoying, a new version of the Marvel Universe."

Maybe what Hickman meant by inverted means instead of stand alone Ultimate Universe, it's part of or inside the Marvel Universe...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    yea, that's uhhh, excessive

The recently released Paul Levitz\Alan Davis joint's first issue was also 56 pages, but...

PAUL LEVITZ (W) • ALAN DAVIS (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY ALAN DAVIS • VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    STORMBREAKERS VARIANT COVER BY MARTIN COCCOLO
    56 PGS./Rated T …$5.99
    That's quite a difference. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I loved Hitch's work on Hawkman. That was gorgeous!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Helvetica font costs extra

Didn't even notice the $9 price but I guess Marvel knows at this point that as long as Hickman's name is on a project the fans will buy it no matter the price. Hickman has reached a status that his name makes any series a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Didn't even notice the $9 price but I guess Marvel knows at this point that as long as Hickman's name is on a project the fans will buy it no matter the price. Hickman has reached a status that his name makes any series a big deal.
    I wouldn’t go that far, but Hickman can write a pretty damn good comic.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Helvetica font costs extra
    More for sans serif? Ha!

Astonishing Member

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    ohh Magik?

Has she ever been in the Ultimate Universe?