Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The Ultimate Line was lightning in a bottle when the stars were perfectly aligned in that it succeeded because:
    a) it was Jemas's pet project and thus had some priority
    b) Quesada had selected good writers like Bendis and Millar to headline it
    c) And they had brought in a lot of the 2000s and post-9/11 Zeitgeist (this is especially true with UXM and Ultimates).

A lot of those conditions just aren't present anymore. DC's various failed attempts at copying this shows that it was a combination of talent, management and backing from higer-ups + luck that made it work.
    DCs earth one kinda worked they were just really inconsistent with it because of poor management and editorial over there. Just like with Ultimate and the MCU the Earth One line is influencing some of the new dc films particularly The Batman and Lanterns

Incredible Member

I haven't really been keeping up with Marvel since the 2015 Secret Wars but weren't the two universes combined with Miles becoming part of the main universe?
    Last edited by Shaggy; 02-24-2023 at 01:46 AM.

Initially, yeah, but Earth-1610 was restored like all the others by the Future Foundation. It was back by the time Spider-Men II was published.

The Ultimate Line was lightning in a bottle when the stars were perfectly aligned in that it succeeded because:
    c) And they had brought in a lot of the 2000s and post-9/11 Zeitgeist (this is especially true with UXM and Ultimates).

A lot of those conditions just aren't present anymore. DC's various failed attempts at copying this shows that it was a combination of talent, management and backing from higer-ups + luck that made it work.
    New 52 being one such attempt. Maybe if that had been an AU like Ultimate Marvel, and not a linewide reboot, it might have worked. Instead fans are still pissed off to this day about characters having their histories erased or outright being deleted. 12 years later and they're only just starting to fix the damage.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

In DC's cases made worse because depending on the book, everything was rebooted or nothing was

I will be picking this up. Wish it was a few more issues.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    In DC's cases made worse because depending on the book, everything was rebooted or nothing was
    Yeah, Batman de-aged Nightwing and Barbara Gordon, and outright erased Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain. That's since been undone of course. Green Lantern wasn't rebooted at all. Pretty much everything else was. DC made the same mistake after Crisis on Infinite Earths in the late 80s. Wonder Woman rebooted, Teen Titans did not, and as a result Wonder Girl's origin had to be retconned as she was now more experienced than Wonder Woman was - even her codename no longer made sense, so she was renamed Troia.

New 52 being an AU instead of a badly executed reboot would've worked much better than what we got. It should've been DC's Ultimate Universe. Nobody would've complained about a young Superman who dates Wonder Woman instead of being married to Lois Lane, or Cyborg being a founding Justice Leaguer with no links to the Titans, had those been AU takes and you could still read new stories about the previous versions. Heck, that's why Miles worked. They killed off Peter Parker to make way for him - but that was an AU version and you could still read about Peter in Amazing Spider-Man. DC could've done that with the black Wally West. He'd have been accepted much sooner (he's his own character now, using the nickname Ace instead) had he not been intended to replace the redheaded Wally.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-24-2023 at 04:09 PM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I will be picking this up. Wish it was a few more issues.
    I’m getting it to and I also would like it to be more issues, but lot’s of times these go on to long so there is that.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

b) Bendis and Millar became stars because of their work in Ultimate Marvel, they were not that big before it. In fact, the idea was to be fresh by having the project run by new people, not by the usual writers of always. Why do think "Ultimate Spider-Man" worked so well, and "Spider-Man: Chapter one" (same premise, just some years earlier) never got off the ground?
    c) Each era has its own zeitgeist. You can either embrace it or ignore it, both options have advantages and disadvantages. By embracing it the reader feels it close, but it can become dated when the social context changes. By ignoring it you are timeless, but you risk losing the "world outside the window" feel. In current comics from Marvel the coronavirus and the invasion of Ukraine do not exist, not even as a metaphor, are the current runs really benefited by it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    b) Bendis and Millar became stars because of their work in Ultimate Marvel
    Quesada taking risks with them paid off as opposed to Harras's safe choices like Lobdell and Mackie (https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rece...ver-do-for-us/). The point is if they had gone with Harras's choices, the project probably wouldn't have worked.

c) Each era has its own zeitgeist.
    The point is the superhero genre and the stories that Millar and Bendis were capable of telling aligned well with the general sentiments/politics of the era especially Millar's edginess/cynicism with post-9/11 America and the GWOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    In current comics from Marvel the coronavirus and the invasion of Ukraine do not exist, not even as a metaphor, are the current runs really benefited by it?
    Honestly, that makes sense. Would Putin have dared to do what he did, if he had to worry about the Avengers or X-Men showing up?

COVID though, did happen. There was a couple of prose stories on it on Marvel.com, one of them stars Ms. Marvel. It was just dealt with quicker - they have tech we don't have in the real world after all.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna
    So this is seemingly moreso a sequel to Secret Wars rather than a fullblown revival for the Ultimate Universe. I wonder if they plan to end it with an amalgamation of the two Universes? Not necessarily a reboot, but a more thorough confirmation of characters getting transplanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    oh lord plz no
    7cfiah.jpg

What's the saying? "F around and find out?" Marvel is determined to find out Ask your average DC fan where this all ends.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 02-25-2023 at 09:14 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Dear Marvel,

Please let ME create and write the Ultimate Earth version of Blue Marvel. Pretty please, with sprinkles and snow flurries on top.

I will be buying this very excited - but with this only being 4 issues it seems Hickman is just doing major opening big concept storylines - and then other writers come in and continue the full line. This is obviously what happened with his Xmen. Sure Power/House of X was incredible - but the follow thru by others not named Hickman was/is mediocre at best.

I wish Hickman wrote complete huge stories again - hes been reduced to a concept lead. Or maybe thats all he wants to do out of Marvel...
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I will be buying this very excited - but with this only being 4 issues it seems Hickman is just doing major opening big concept storylines - and then other writers come in and continue the full line. This is obviously what happened with his Xmen. Sure Power/House of X was incredible - but the follow thru by others not named Hickman was/is mediocre at best.

I wish Hickman wrote complete huge stories again - hes been reduced to a concept lead. Or maybe thats all he wants to do out of Marvel...

I feel like this is what he has pivoted to, I mean he single-handedly revitalized the X-Men back to their AAA superstar status.

But I do wish we got wierdo titles like S.H.I.E.L.D. or Secret Warriors again, I love it when he takes weird concepts and blows it out so much so that it changes the Marvel status quo, but it's so weird that no one really acknowledges it (see. Da Vinci, SHIELD or Stark & Reed's fathers)

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I feel like this is what he has pivoted to, I mean he single-handedly revitalized the X-Men back to their AAA superstar status.

But I do wish we got wierdo titles like S.H.I.E.L.D. or Secret Warriors again, I love it when he takes weird concepts and blows it out so much so that it changes the Marvel status quo, but it's so weird that no one really acknowledges it (see. Da Vinci, SHIELD or Stark & Reed's fathers)
    Man, Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. was insane, gonzo sci-fi. Absolutely spectacular stuff.

I think Bendis nibbled at it--in his very last Miles Morales story he brought in Da Vinci as the guy who was about to build a new, better S.H.I.E.L.D., but it never went anywhere