Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's notable both from the promo images for this and the general discussions surrounding the UU, that it's mostly remembered and represented by the Ultimates and Ultimate Spiderman and that's likely what will be focused on from here on out. So it seems unlikely the Ultimate X-men are any sort of known quantity anymore, or have been for a while. Which also makes it unlikely Marvel will invest much stock in reviving them in any capacity either.

The story of the Ult. X-men has for all intendents and purpose concluded in the utter failure of their mission and goals. Which to be fair is actualy a valid concept for an alternate universe.
    But what's left is a metaphorical hopeless dystopian wasteland and if there is going to be another hero team of mutants in the ult. universe, they will have to be new or underused characters under a different name, banner and mission than anything which would be associated with the core identity of the X-men.

Come to think of it. There has not been an Ultimate Magik, Cannonball, Karma, Moonstar, Warpath (actualy no Thunderbird either), Sunspot or Magma. Neither has there been a version of Jubilee, Chamber, M, Husk, Synch, Skin or Banshee.

So they actualy have plenty of material for an Ult. New Mutants and Generation X which could be presented as trying to achieve what the X-men failed at.

Maybe even bring in Thunderbird as the designated old anti-hero loner with a heart of gold to take Wolverine's spot.
    We have had House Of X in the 616 universe and a House Of X 92 so I wouldn't be surprised if we see it in the Ultimate universe. Even Professor X mentioned the multiverse in a recent comic so I'm even more convinced we are going to see it in the Ultimate universe.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think Ultimate X-Men overall had some VERY strong creative teams who put in some excellent work.

Millar & the Kuberts, Vaughan & Immonen, Kirkman & friends, and then the extremely underrated and overlooked Nick Spencer and Brian Wood runs. The main issue for me is that the original 616 characters are still so strong and relevant that I never really felt the need to read alternative version adventures of them outside of movies, videogames and animated series. Ultimate X-Men has been a very long What If? for me, where you can do some stuff you wouldn't be able to do in the mainline comics, but ultimately just an alternate reality take which became increasingly hard to invest in.

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    We have had House Of X in the 616 universe and a House Of X 92 so I wouldn't be surprised if we see it in the Ultimate universe. Even Professor X mentioned the multiverse in a recent comic so I'm even more convinced we are going to see it in the Ultimate universe.
    Not only that, but I still maintain that it has something to do with how they're going to introduce mutants in the MCU and creating some synergy there. Hickman is that guy that they bring into their major franchises to kind of revitalize them and churn out some big idea stories which can be adapted to the big screen. A lot of his Avengers work went into the latter parts of the Infinity Saga, and I have no doubt that his 2015 Secret Wars is going to form more of the basis for the Avengers: Secret Wars film than the original 1984 version. My gut tells me they looked at his recent work on the X books, starting with House of X/Powers of X where he set up this nation state of Krakoa and the whole concept of Moira X, and said it's too ambitious and doesn't align with what Kevin Feige and the studio heads are thinking in terms of how they want to bring the mutants to the big screen. They seem to want to lean heavily into the most popular incarnation of the franchise, which is the 90s version operating out of the school.

So my gut tells me that the mutants will be a very big part of this new Ultimate U, and somehow it's going to tie into their plans for the Multiverse Saga and how it will lead to mutants in the MCU. Haven't quite figured it out yet, and I could definitely be wrong about that. But it's a gut feeling.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    I really don't mean to derail the thread, but how did the Krakoan era become a fiasco? From what I've read, people where nuts about it when it started, now I just hear people complaining about it(like me). One person in this forum said 'all the goodwill for Krakoa has burned away'. It couldn't be just because of Percy's X-Force(though I'm sure that contributed it). If it's too much to explain for this thread, I could make a separate one.

Well, take it with a grain of salt because I was always one of the ones who hated this era with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. But the most consistent discontent I see comes down to Hickman laying a bunch of groundwork and then either not following up on it, dragging it out too long or not having satisfying/interesting conclusions too it. A lot of his initial work was darker and more cynical, and then he seemingly didn't keep the other writers on the same page even before he bounced. This left a lot of this supposedly more interconnected era feeling really disjointed. There are more smaller sticking points, but this is already dangerously off topic.

To bring it back to the topic, the way he handled his X era gives me little hope for this project. Multiverse stories with this many characters can quickly become disjointed messes, and the way he handled Moira has been headache inducing. Plus, I prefer my comics with a sense of optimism, which Hickman struggles with, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    My gut tells me they looked at his recent work on the X books, starting with House of X/Powers of X where he set up this nation state of Krakoa and the whole concept of Moira X, and said it's too ambitious and doesn't align with what Kevin Feige and the studio heads are thinking in terms of how they want to bring the mutants to the big screen. They seem to want to lean heavily into the most popular incarnation of the franchise, which is the 90s version operating out of the school.
    If they only looked at the recent books starting in the Krakoa era, that means they means they've only seen Beast as a villain. Does this mean he'll be one in the movie, too? That's what I've been afraid of, that Cebulski let Percy do this because they were ready to make Beast a villain permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    To bring it back to the topic, the way he handled his X era gives me little hope for this project. Multiverse stories with this many characters can quickly become disjointed messes, and the way he handled Moira has been headache inducing. Plus, I prefer my comics with a sense of optimism, which Hickman struggles with, too.
    Yeah, I'm sorry for derailing. I have little enthusiasm for this project even though I liked the UU. Everything seems to be so dark and miserable, and sometimes gory too(which I really dislike).
    Last edited by Mungho; 03-01-2023 at 09:24 AM.
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Not only that, but I still maintain that it has something to do with how they're going to introduce mutants in the MCU and creating some synergy there. Hickman is that guy that they bring into their major franchises to kind of revitalize them and churn out some big idea stories which can be adapted to the big screen. A lot of his Avengers work went into the latter parts of the Infinity Saga, and I have no doubt that his 2015 Secret Wars is going to form more of the basis for the Avengers: Secret Wars film than the original 1984 version. My gut tells me they looked at his recent work on the X books, starting with House of X/Powers of X where he set up this nation state of Krakoa and the whole concept of Moira X, and said it's too ambitious and doesn't align with what Kevin Feige and the studio heads are thinking in terms of how they want to bring the mutants to the big screen. They seem to want to lean heavily into the most popular incarnation of the franchise, which is the 90s version operating out of the school.

So my gut tells me that the mutants will be a very big part of this new Ultimate U, and somehow it's going to tie into their plans for the Multiverse Saga and how it will lead to mutants in the MCU. Haven't quite figured it out yet, and I could definitely be wrong about that. But it's a gut feeling.
    He wants something that can only be in a comic space that's inverted. With fall of X next and Hickman back, I can't help but think he's doing the final arc and the X-Men are going to end up in the Ultimate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    He wants something that can only be in a comic space that's inverted. With fall of X next and Hickman back, I can't help but think he's doing the final arc and the X-Men are going to end up in the Ultimate universe.
    Not saying that’s definitely it, but I’m thinking along these same lines.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

I know discussion of this news has died down. But I made a video on this news in which I react, speculate, and discuss this news. I meant to finish this sooner, but better late than never.

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.