Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Default Are Ultimate mutants too much like inhumans? Do they work with Krakoa? MCU?

Ultimate mutants were made like inhumans and Eternals, but this might work for the MCU. How would this work with the Krakoa story?

Purists would hate it, but I think it works quite well for the MCU myself.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Purists would hate it, but I think it works quite well for the MCU myself.
    Have to agree with you here. When it comes to the MCU I don't think "They were just born this way" is going to play that well, however the UU origin fits in pretty well with MCU continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Have to agree with you here. When it comes to the MCU I don't think "They were just born this way" is going to play that well, however the UU origin fits in pretty well with MCU continuity.
    They basically re-wrote the Eternals origin by making them robots instead of Celestial tampered humans. Maybe they were saving it for something.

Astonishing Member

I mean, I don't particularly care if they have mutants be the results of deliberate Celestial tampering rather than just natural evolution, but I wouldn't want them to go the Ultimate Universe route of having them be a recent creation of genetic engineering by humans - just because that cuts out too much of the elements of mutant history that I find most interesting, like the Arakkii, Apocalypse, Selene, various other ancient mutants or societies, etc.

Besides, with Namor already introduced and pretty deliberately namedropped as a mutant in the MCU - and him already being four hundred years old - I don't think going the 'humanity made mutants in the 20th century' route really adds or streamlines anything. *Shrugs*

Yeah, I think that was a bad idea and that would be the easy way, but it would totally go against the metaphor imo. We'll see.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I hated it and hope that's not the way they go for the MCU mutants. Nothing is more powerful than mutants simply being born that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    The MCU sold a talking raccoon to audiences. I think people being born with powers will be easy enough to swallow.

It doesn't seem like the Inhumans to me, just Weapon X being a "bigger bad." Could work in the MCU but isn't necessary.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

It would very distasteful if Marvel does this after decades of using mutants as a metaphor for persecuted minorities. There's just no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It would very distasteful if Marvel does this after decades of using mutants as a metaphor for persecuted minorities. There's just no way.
    I don't know how they'd get away with that "metaphor" after doing Luke Cage, having more diverse actors, and already doing Civil War where humans fear and hated Captain America and the Hulk. Like how are they gonna sell Emma Frost to a major audience as someone who's persecuted.

It doesn't have to change mutants completely. It would just be their origin story of a third party tampering with human genetics to create super beings (inhumans/Eternals). Everything else would be the same. It might be an unexpected turn unique for the MCU since they already did the other origin story for 20 years and 16 movies/tv shows. They might make it the Celestials since they changed the Eternals origin story.

The short answer is yes. Mutants in Ultimate Marvel were way too much like Inhumans in that they were basically failed science experiments.

The longer answer is also yes, but for far greater reasons. It's a big problem because if mutants are failed science experiments, then they can't work as a metaphor for minorities and oppressed groups. A big part of the X-Men's story is that they were just born a certain way, like someone of a different race, ethnic group, or sexual orientation. But if they're failed science experiments, then that goes completely out the window. They weren't born that way. They were made that.

It makes mutants akin to someone being gay because they were exposed to pink kryptonite. It's not just backwards. It has some very troubling implications.

As such, the MCU should absolutely not take this approach to introducing mutants in any capacity. It would be antithetical to everything the X-Men and mutants represent. We already saw how bad it got when Marvel basically tried to turn the Inhumans into mutants. It would be infinitely worse if Marvel tried to basically make mutants the Inhumans.

Ultimate Marvel had a lot of horrible ideas and horrible stories. Making mutants failed science experiments was definitely among the worst, which is saying something for a series that included overt instances of incest and cannibalism. It's quite telling that mutants basically became an afterthought for Ultimate after that dumb idea came into the picture.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    The short answer is yes. Mutants in Ultimate Marvel were way too much like Inhumans in that they were basically failed science experiments.

The longer answer is also yes, but for far greater reasons. It's a big problem because if mutants are failed science experiments, then they can't work as a metaphor for minorities and oppressed groups. A big part of the X-Men's story is that they were just born a certain way, like someone of a different race, ethnic group, or sexual orientation. But if they're failed science experiments, then that goes completely out the window. They weren't born that way. They were made that.

It makes mutants akin to someone being gay because they were exposed to pink kryptonite. It's not just backwards. It has some very troubling implications.

As such, the MCU should absolutely not take this approach to introducing mutants in any capacity. It would be antithetical to everything the X-Men and mutants represent. We already saw how bad it got when Marvel basically tried to turn the Inhumans into mutants. It would be infinitely worse if Marvel tried to basically make mutants the Inhumans.

Ultimate Marvel had a lot of horrible ideas and horrible stories. Making mutants failed science experiments was definitely among the worst, which is saying something for a series that included overt instances of incest and cannibalism. It's quite telling that mutants basically became an afterthought for Ultimate after that dumb idea came into the picture.
    I mean, mutants are basically inhuman copies now, and it worked wonders. The IP is what swayed people's opinion, but people liked their concept in general. And the inhumans weren't failed experiments. They were successful. The Kree discovered an inhuman would bring down their civilization so they left.

Mutants wouldn't change because they'd still be random mutated being by their genes born from humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I mean, mutants are basically inhuman copies now, and it worked wonders. The IP is what swayed people's opinion, but people liked their concept in general. And the inhumans weren't failed experiments. They were successful. The Kree discovered an inhuman would bring down their civilization so they left.

Mutants wouldn't change because they'd still be random mutated being by their genes born from humans.
    How are mutants inhuman copies? Mutants are born with their powers. Those powers manifest at some point in their lives, sometimes earlier and sometimes later. There's no real trigger to it. Sometimes, it just happens. It also runs in families, like most other genetic traits.

Inhumans can only manifest their powers by artificial means. They need the Terrigen Mists to unlock their Inhuman DNA, which is not natural and a product of Kree science experiments. That's not the same. Not by a long shot.

In essence, one works as a metaphor for minorities and those born different. The other does not.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I don't know how they'd get away with that "metaphor" after doing Luke Cage, having more diverse actors, and already doing Civil War where humans fear and hated Captain America and the Hulk. Like how are they gonna sell Emma Frost to a major audience as someone who's persecuted.
    By using some actual diverse mutants? Black (Storm), disabled (Xavier), Jewish (Kitty), gay (Iceman), not to mention the amount of women and foreigners. The X-Men is by far the most diverse franchise Marvel has.