Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Fast and the Furious
    Speed
    Fast and the Furious
    Starship Troopers
    Pitch Black
    Fast and the Furious
    Class of Nuke 'Em High (Just kidding...All Troma is awesome)
    Fast and the Furious
    Lion King (Though I think all the sequels were straight to video, so that is ok)
    Phantasm (I loved the original as it was original, but it got pretty stupid)
    Hellraiser (Just a throw in so I can say)
    Fast and the Furious.
    Starship Troopers- does it count if you just forget there ever were sequels?

Kinda like Tremors. Love that first movie, can't believe there were SEVEN of them.

Fast and the Furious is another like Jurassic Park for me. Would it have been better if they stopped after 1? Maybe. But then we would have never gotten Fast Five.

I think every classic Disney movie has multiple sequels. I have Cinderella 2 and 3 sitting on my shelf because I forgot to cancel an order; I remember really like Aladdin 2: The Return of Jaffar.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Slightly different; but The Mummy and Mummy Returns should have stopped after the second one. The third not only lost Rachel Weiss, but had a huge time jump and was just a mess. The second ended on a good note for the heroes as well.
    I can't recall the source, but I read that the original concept for the franchise was for Rick and Evy O'Connell to work their way thru all of the studio's classic horror monsters.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Kingsman: The Secret Service. That first movie was just damn good that I was shocked to find out the same team did the second film considering just how horendous that turd was. It was such an embarasing sequel and did almost every single thing wrong a sequel could do. Those characters you liked from the 1st movie? All getting killed off. The location you liked? Gone. Bringing back a character who had a very definitive and final death in a totally absurd manor? Check. Introducing a bunch of new characters who were really nothing more than glorified cameos? Sure why not. Just trash on every level.

I thought they turned it around with the 3rd movie, but that mess fell apart and turned into a bad cartoon in the 2nd half.

Okay, here's my list.

Highlander: I know. Not an original pick. People have been saying this since the early 90s.

The Neverending Story: I generally pretend the sequels don't exist. 2 was forgettable, and the third was some bizarre OOC fanfiction that somehow got filmed.

The Land Before Time: It was a story effectively told in one movie. Brilliant and emotional. It didn't need a dozen direct to video sequels.

Men in Black: The second movie was forgettable. Haven't bothered with the others.

I'd include Cocoon, Speed, and Independence Day as movies that would have been better off as stand-alones, but as far as I know, they only had one sequel each, and all of those sequels were so poorly received no others were made.
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 02-28-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I disagree with a few listed so I'll try my hand.
    The fact it hasn't been mentioned yet has me curious if those here really feel the sequels for......The Purge are worth it.

I'll also say the standalone Bumblebee film was really enjoyable. The cgi/fx Cybertron intro is fantastic. I'd take a whole movie just like that. I've watched it 4/5 times.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Okay, here's my list.

Highlander: I know. Not an original pick. People have been saying this since the early 90s.

The Neverending Story: I generally pretend the sequels don't exist. 2 was forgettable, and the third was some bizarre OOC fanfiction that somehow got filmed.

The Land Before Time: It was a story effectively told in one movie. Brilliant and emotional. It didn't need a dozen direct to video sequels.

Men in Black: The second movie was forgettable. Haven't bothered with the others.

I'd include Cocoon, Speed, and Independence Day as movies that would have been better off as stand-alones, but as far as I know, they only had one sequel each, and all of those sequels were so poorly received no others were made.
    Interesting thing about the Neverending story, the sequel is actually based on the second half of the book where Bastion winds up in Fantasia after naming the Empress.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Starship Troopers- does it count if you just forget there ever were sequels?

Kinda like Tremors. Love that first movie, can't believe there were SEVEN of them.

Fast and the Furious is another like Jurassic Park for me. Would it have been better if they stopped after 1? Maybe. But then we would have never gotten Fast Five.

I think every classic Disney movie has multiple sequels. I have Cinderella 2 and 3 sitting on my shelf because I forgot to cancel an order; I remember really like Aladdin 2: The Return of Jaffar.
    But how can you argue with billions in sales from all the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Interesting thing about the Neverending story, the sequel is actually based on the second half of the book where Bastion winds up in Fantasia after naming the Empress.
    The first sequel, for all its flaws, is at least inspired from the original book.

The third movie, however, is another story entirely. The third sequel at least FEELS like it's based off of one of those silly fanfics you see on fan fiction sites where people act like either exaggerations of their canon selves (when such things happen in canon, it's what TV Tropes calls Flanderization) or just wildly out of character and start singing karaoke for no reason. It's ridiculous, self-indulgent, and doesn't work even as a parody.

All in all, I generally pretend it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 02-28-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I haven't seen Neverending Story 2 since I was a kid, but I remember that I didn't have any strong feelings against it, hence I probably liked it enough (even though teens and adults may not have liked it so much), and so that's one film where it meets like none of my standards for listing it. Meant for a sequel, sequel offered some good stuff, ended the saga well enough. I remember I liked Brandis as Bastian.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

As a fan of Poltergeist it probably worked best as a stand-alone as well.
    Agree with this. ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    This...I do love that they are exploring the whole underworld assassin guild though, but come on. One guy taking on most of the guild and is still living? I get he was good but is everyone else that inept? How did they kill anyone?
    Is he good, though? He's durable and a genius at elaborate and clever kills...but so far his "strength" seems to be getting people to owe him a favor. Even in the first one, he was pretty much dead to rights (Vigo caught him and tied him to a chair) if not for Willem DaFoe's character.

And if you stop and think about it...I don't mind the guild existing, but 90 to 99% of EVERYONE in New York is an assassin? Wha? What membership process do they have? lol And why is there a process at all to get back into the good graces of The High Table after being excommunicated?

Like I said, I watch the sequels for the spectacle and kinda turn my brain off (similar to how I did the Transporter movies), but it really should have been a one and done. Delving further into the world hinted at in the first movie could only lead to silliness as each movie tries to top the last.

Beat me too it. Plus with each chapter beginning with a letter of the alphabet in order, we now know why Xayide exists (or at least was named that).

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I disagree with a few listed so I'll try my hand.
    The fact it hasn't been mentioned yet has me curious if those here really feel the sequels for......The Purge are worth it.

I'll also say the standalone Bumblebee film was really enjoyable. The cgi/fx Cybertron intro is fantastic. I'd take a whole movie just like that. I've watched it 4/5 times.
    The sequels is where the Purge actually took advantage of its premise. It was a complete waste in the first film. All it served to do was give a reason as to why the family didn't call the cops.

Surprised no one said Christmas story yet. They made 9 of them! 9!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Surprised no one said Christmas story yet. They made 9 of them! 9!
    Robocop.

Darkman.

Both had 2 sequels, all of which outside the 2 originals are best forgotten.
    Dark does not mean deep.