Default Flash & Green Lantern Elseworlds

I notice that Flash and Green Lantern don't have as much Elseworlds as Superman and Batman do.

Why do you think that is? They often appear as guest stars in other characters Elseworlds or stuff like the one where Bruce Wayne got a GL ring but I can't recall or find a solo Elseworld starring either GL or Flash. What do you think is that reason why? Is the concept not flexible enough?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Well, it's really only because Flash and Green Lantern aren't as popular as Batman and Superman.

Although I guess you could count Flashpoint as a Flash elseworld.

I think there is any issue of there being multiple GLs and Flashes as well. Fans of less used characters wouldn't be happy that their favourite remains on bench, while Hal is getting elseworlds stories.

Astonishing Member

Because Elseworlds books are an added investment, and DC has often tended to put money only on more Batman and Superman stuff (more Batman than Superman)

Jokes apart, I suppose with Flash, given how time-travel and alternate universes are a pretty integral part of his mythos anyway, very often the 'Elseworlds' stories get told in the normal course.

That said, here are a few Elseworld ideas I'd love to see explored with these characters:

1. Iris West stops by her tardy boyfriend Barry Allen's lab during a lightning storm, and gets struck by the lightning and chemicals instead. From just being a crusading reporter, she also becomes the superhero known as the Flash, without Barry's knowledge...at least to begin with.

2. Instead of destroying the GLC and stealing the power of the central power battery to become Parallax and rebuild Coast City, Hal ends up deposing the Guardians and taking over the GLC, reshaping it into a more militaristic and interventionist force to prevent what happened to Coast City happening anywhere else in the universe.

With GL, variations on the concept is usually what's explored, rather than variations on any particular established Lantern. Earth One GL is the biggest example of Hal being used, otherwise you get things like GL: Legacy. (and maybe Far Sector - was that originally meant to be in the DCU or did that happen later when it became successful?)

Incredible Member

There's a Flash's elseworlds named Flashpoint, from 1999.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I was always disappointed there weren't more. Aside from being more popular, I think Batman and Superman are more mythical; they represent broad themes and echo lots of figures in western civilization. So when you give them a creative twist, it makes a literary or social statement.

Barry and Hal (or Kyle, John, and Wally) are the most human members of the league. They can definitely take on mythical qualities, but they invoke science and modernity.

That said, that's no reason not to have them in Elseworlds. In fact, leaning into the sci-fi approach opens up a whole different set of creative statements and themes to explore. But I do agree that Flash already explores multiverses in the ordinary course of monthly issues. I just wish solid and intentional Flash Elseworld stories were done more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    There's a Flash's elseworlds named Flashpoint, from 1999.
    I really enjoyed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I was always disappointed there weren't more. Aside from being more popular, I think Batman and Superman are more mythical; they represent broad themes and echo lots of figures in western civilization. So when you give them a creative twist, it makes a literary or social statement.

Barry and Hal (or Kyle, John, and Wally) are the most human members of the league. They can definitely take on mythical qualities, but they invoke science and modernity.
    ^^^Wow. Great post.
    I remember really enjoying Kyle and Wally as part of the Big Seven, as they brought both a generational aspect and human quality to the team.