Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Ah..thanks Lukmendes, and Huntsman... I would have taken that at the time "with a pinch of salt", it's the writer writing Spidey humorously, and generally adding humour to a scene..and because the humour is aimed at a robot/android no harm done eh?

But of course plenty of racism and other "isms" are expressed through "humour"...as mentioned, if it was a black person, or a woman on the end of such humour it wouldn't go down well, not then, and even less so now..

Leaving an "ism" aside, it does look like Spidey has a complex about the situation, and I find it funny...I doubt we'll ever see it mentioned again...
    I would certainly hope not, at this rate.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Ah..thanks Lukmendes, and Huntsman... I would have taken that at the time "with a pinch of salt", it's the writer writing Spidey humorously, and generally adding humour to a scene..and because the humour is aimed at a robot/android no harm done eh?

But of course plenty of racism and other "isms" are expressed through "humour"...as mentioned, if it was a black person, or a woman on the end of such humour it wouldn't go down well, not then, and even less so now..
    I understand the intention, it's just that the joke is poorly timed and not even funny, and if you think about what Spidey is implying it kinda sounds like he has something against Vision, even though he claims otherwise...

Leaving an "ism" aside, it does look like Spidey has a complex about the situation, and I find it funny...I doubt we'll ever see it mentioned again...
    Probably not, while Orlando may have been thinking about what Spidey said back in Disassembled, it was even more of a throwaway joke in Darkhold than it was back in Disassembled, to the point I had forgotten about it for a while, it was one of Wanda's threads that reminded me of this by someone pointing out Spidey did that twice lol.

I still find it notable that on the few times Spidey talked about, or with Wanda, this happened...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Spidey didn't seem to have a problem with Vision when they teamed up against Toad in the "Vision and Scarlet Witch" series either. It was just Bendis trying to force an awkward joke into his story.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Spidey didn't seem to have a problem with Vision when they teamed up against Toad in the "Vision and Scarlet Witch" series either. It was just Bendis trying to force an awkward joke into his story.
    Yeah, that would make more sense.

Even in a "fantasy" world like it's not normal to be married to a robot.

Spidey is not being "racist" but calling people about Wanda being out of mind so much that she married a robot instead a "human being".

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post

Spidey is not being "racist" but calling people about Wanda being out of mind so much that she married a robot instead a "human being".
    The whole point of Vision and Wanda's character arc, at least before John Byrne in his wisdom shot it down, is that they come to realise that despite being a robot (sorry, synthezoid), Vision is a person like any other person and Vision's romantic feelings are just like anyone else's. Even an android can cry.
    It's one of the first explicitly queer relationships in comics. (Vision is gendered male, but he's not biologically male.) To have Peter make jokes about it being weird is distasteful and out of character.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I would marry the sexiest robot in existence and have gorgeous, talented robot-babies

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    Not normal doesn't mean bad.

Y'know what else isn't normal? Marrying a god, should Spidey talk shit about any human who gets too close to a god? Hell, Spidey briefly dated Hebe, who was Hercule's wife, and that's definitely not normal.

Having an affair with an Atlantean is also not normal, so maybe next time Spidey encounters Sue he should talk shit about her having an affair with Namor instead of a human.

We shouldn't think about whether or not something is normal and consider it to be "right", and that can apply to real life too, an unusual situation isn't necessarily a bad, or a good thing, and Wanda marrying Vision, there's nothing really wrong with it.

And that's why he sounds racist, because that can imply he thinks there's something wrong with Wanda for deciding to marry Vision, and implies that Vision isn't a being with his own emotions, or that he thinks Vision is "lesser" somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I would marry the sexiest robot in existence and have gorgeous, talented robot-babies
    You talk like the sexiest robot wouldn't have a long line of suitors .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Not normal doesn't mean bad.

Y'know what else isn't normal? Marrying a god, should Spidey talk shit about any human who gets too close to a god? Hell, Spidey briefly dated Hebe, who was Hercule's wife, and that's definitely not normal.

Having an affair with an Atlantean is also not normal, so maybe next time Spidey encounters Sue he should talk shit about her having an affair with Namor instead of a human.

We shouldn't think about whether or not something is normal and consider it to be "right", and that can apply to real life too, an unusual situation isn't necessarily a bad, or a good thing, and Wanda marrying Vision, there's nothing really wrong with it.

And that's why he sounds racist, because that can imply he thinks there's something wrong with Wanda for deciding to marry Vision, and implies that Vision isn't a being with his own emotions, or that he thinks Vision is "lesser" somehow.

You talk like the sexiest robot wouldn't have a long line of suitors .
    You do sum it up quite well.