View Poll Results: When do you predict One More Day will get undone?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wells or the writer after him will undo it (mid 2020's)

3 3.80%
  • By the late 2020's

14 17.72%
  • In the 2030's

6 7.59%
  • In the 2040's

3 3.80%
  • Never / Not until Spider-Man is fully public domain

53 67.09%
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

The only way it will ever be undone is if Tom Holland's Spider-man gets married in the movies and has kids. You know how marvel loves their synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I disagree that it's the "better argument" or that "more stories can be told" but rather than fall down that rabbit hole...

I think we're getting to the point where trying to maintain continuity without progression is becoming unsustainable as a business model. That might be argument enough to begin aging the characters again slowly. Especially with popular legacy characters already in place. If you age the characters, then it makes little sense to keep "no marriage" as an edict.

It almost reminds me of the old style Dan DeCarlo Archie comics. Leadership tried to keep that character frozen within a particular "model" for so many years that the readership lost interest. Revamping the character with a more modern serialized approach was a huge success for that series. Right now, Peter Parker feels as though he's stuck in his own version of Dan DeCarlo Archie.
    Were the Mark Waid/ Fiona Staples Archie comics in the same universe as the Dan DeCarlo? That's more of an argument for a full reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Which "better arguments" are we talking about?
    An unmarried Spider-Man has more stories than a married Spider-Man, especially if they don't plan to give him and MJ kids.

There are older threads on this question. One way to consider it is what stories specifically require Peter & MJ to be married.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 02-25-2023 at 12:13 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Were the Mark Waid/ Fiona Staples Archie comics in the same universe as the Dan DeCarlo? That's more of an argument for a full reboot.
    I don't believe they do.

Honestly, I think a full reboot would be better than the current status quo. Though I do believe there's quite a bit of life left in an older married 616 Peter Parker serving as a mentor to younger Spider-characters (if they choose to go that route instead.) Especially since we're starting to see glimpses of that in other media. If that direction becomes stale, then reboot.

An unmarried Spider-Man has more stories than a married Spider-Man, especially if they don't plan to give him and MJ kids.

There are older threads on this question. One way to consider it is what stories specifically require Peter & MJ to be married.
    Considering the Wells run, I wonder if that is actually the case.

I don't believe they do.

Honestly, I think a full reboot would be better than the current status quo. Though I do believe there's quite a bit of life left in an older married 616 Peter Parker serving as a mentor to younger Spider-characters (if they choose to go that route instead.) Especially since we're starting to see glimpses of that in other media. If that direction becomes stale, then reboot.
    Agreed. We've seen "young single loser" Peter for a decade and a half now...and most of the stories have just gone over the same old territory repeatedly. At the end of the day...the only stories that absolutely required a single Spider-Man...involve him dating.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Urge View Post
    The only way it will ever be undone is if Tom Holland's Spider-man gets married in the movies and has kids. You know how marvel loves their synergy.
    Tom Holland's Spider-Man was a high schooler in the movies from 2016-2021. Given how the movies have played out so far, movie 4 will probably be set during his first year of college.

I can't see them marrying him and giving him kids unless it's Tom Holland's final Spider-Man film as the lead character. Then they'd probably transition over to Miles Morales.

The movies are able to give characters endings, when they choose to. The comics are intended to continue for as long as possible, the biggest characters don't have endings, they operate in a perpetual middle. Eventually the movies and TV shows will reboot and there'll be another Tony Stark, another Steve Rogers, another teenage Peter Parker.

One way to consider it is what stories specifically require Peter & MJ to be married.
    "Spider-Man Gets Divorced!"
    Last edited by Lee; 02-25-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Mighty Member

Eventually, Holland will want to move on. I think it's more likely that we'll see his death like the ultimate series.

Perhaps we'll see the marriage in the PlayStation game series or if/when Tobey's Spider-man were to return.

Astonishing Member

This is not an argument against the marriage. It's an argument in favor of Marvel rebooting everything dvery few years like DC.

You can make this argument against literally anything else that's been canon since 1962. It literally has nothing to do with the marriage.

Look, if you really think Marvel should do reboots in the vein of DC, fair enough. But if someone only applies this argument to MJ and the marriage, it's reasonable to assume they're just masquerading a personal preference as a somehow objectively better reality. "This is a objectively better for the character in the long run, and it's a total coincidence that it aligns up with my personal tastes." Yeah... most people aren't going to buy that.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-25-2023 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    This is not an argument against the marriage. It's an argument in favor of Marvel rebooting everything dvery few years like DC.

You can make this argument against literally anything else that's been canon since 1962. It literally has nothing to do with the marriage.
    I disagree! Peter and MJ as exes with history are compelling. More compelling, then them building up to a first love, as rebooting would have it.

Wanting to continue with the post-OMD status quo doesn't mean wiping the history Peter and MJ have. Far from it! Even in-story, Peter and MJ remember it all happening. And them dating\loving other people does nothing to tarnish that history.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I disagree! Peter and MJ as exes with history are compelling. More compelling, then them building up to a first love, as rebooting would have it.

Wanting to continue with the post-OMD status quo doesn't mean wiping the history Peter and MJ have. Far from it! Even in-story, Peter and MJ remember it all happening. And them dating\loving other people does nothing to tarnish that history.
    They literally had to use magic to separate them. Three times.

It's not an organic status quo.

Just in case he didn't return for the third Captain America film. He was always going to return for the last two Avengers films. They signed his new contract after the success of the first Avengers.
    Hm... Alright, thanks for the correction.

After NWH came out, only Holland said he wasn't sure if he was going to return. Zendaya never said anything like that, and there is no reason to think she did.
    Just because she didn't say anything publicly, doesn't mean that her leaving isn't a possibility.

If she decides she doesn't wanna come back, then the movies can not use her and be fine.

They didn't end NWH like that out of some exclusive accommodation or consideration for Zendaya.
    I mean, they still ended it in a way that her and Ganke don't have to be used in the next movie, or even never show up again.

It's not the first time Marvel movies end in a way that could leave some flexibility over whether or not the character will be used again afterwards or not.

The director of Homecoming/FFH/NWH.
    Ah, well, guess it means that if I watch the next movies I shouldn't expect much...

It had some influence, sure, but not on par with Ultimate. And for no other reason I can think of except, honestly, a bit of nepotism and bias due to it being written by Bendis (no offense to him) and done at Marvel instead of Sony.

I'm talking about the "Peter" part of Ultimate here. Miles is a different story.
    Oh I'm not saying it's comparable to Ultimate, just that it actually had some influence, though it's really minor compared to other stuff.

That's my point. They either come back together or leave together. And if they leave, you bring in Miles Morales or do a pseudo-reboot and recast the roles.

The least likely possibility is keeping Holland's Peter but writing MJ out of the narrative like in BND. Especially not so that "Peter can date other women" like the BND guys wanted.
    I mean, Zendaya is her own person, if Holland comes back she's not obligated to come back too.

My theory is that if there is enough momentum at Marvel editorial to get rid of the marriage, it would make sense to do it as soon as possible.

Otherwise, the situation may change in a few years. Editors may change departments, and people in publishing could get fired. For a major change, you often need the stars to align, because if the people in charge are divided, the likeliest outcome is that they'll stick with the current status quo.
    Well even that would depend on how "urgent" that is, if they feel like they have to get rid of it, but don't have to prioritize it then there's no need to rush, and leaving it for some event or milestone isn't that far fetched with that in mind.

I suspect there will be more internal divisions about undoing One More Day if the gameplan is to keep Amazing Spider-Man going indefinitely with Peter Parker as the lead.

Some pros may think marriage is better as a story engine, but it seems unlikely they'll persuade the others. Especially since the better argument is that there are more stories to be told with an unmarried Spider-Man.
    Honestly the most major change is who Spidey is dating, but considering that who he's dating is barely given that much attention to since he has no social life, yeah... A marriage or lack of it doesn't change the stories themselves that much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Urge View Post
    Even that isn't a guarantee, Marvel hasn't really tried to do synergy with Spidey that much with MCU's stuff.

Eventually, Holland will want to move on. I think it's more likely that we'll see his death like the ultimate series.
    He did say that if he's still playing Spider-Man when he's 30, that maybe he should think better of his life decisions, that really made me think he was gonna quit.

Perhaps we'll see the marriage in the PlayStation game series or if/when Tobey's Spider-man were to return.
    I wonder if the last one would happen lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Just because she didn't say anything publicly, doesn't mean that her leaving isn't a possibility.
    Anything is possible. This isn't an argument that disproves my point that there is no reason to think they'll write out MJ in favor of some other love interest.

If she decides she doesn't wanna come back, then the movies can not use her and be fine.

I mean, Zendaya is her own person, if Holland comes back she's not obligated to come back too.
    I feel that you're shifting the goalposts. "The movies will be fine and she doesn't have to come back if she doesn't want to" is a completely different argument from the fact that the MCU (as of now) is framing MJ as "the one" for Peter.

If somehow only Holland comes back and the MCU has to change course, that would not take away from my point that the comics in 2023 looked off-brand in intentions from the MCU as well as from every other current adaptation.

They didn't end NWH like that out of some exclusive accommodation or consideration for Zendaya.
    I mean, they still ended it in a way that her and Ganke don't have to be used in the next movie, or even never show up again.

It's not the first time Marvel movies end in a way that could leave some flexibility over whether or not the character will be used again afterwards or not.
    Regardless of whether or not Zendaya comes back (and to that I still say there's no reason to think she won't), the intent with NWH's ending was clearly to reunite them. The MCU is too savvy and trope-conscious to intentionally leave a cliffhanger like that unresolved.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post

The thing is 616 Peter's story is a serialized story with progression. To have 40 years of progression and then to just press the pause button indefinitely: that's not an approach that works long term. There's only so long that you can depict the same exact dynamic and history between Peter and MJ ( with constant making up and breaking up) without any progression before the whole thing becomes stale. With marriage, you can show the characters aging and reaching new milestones/ taking on new responsibilities in adulthood. You can show status quos evolving organically with time as characters age and with changing family dynamics (shifts in occupation related to age, loved ones passing on, and children being a prime example.)

If Peter's love life is a blank slate as in a full reboot, you're not beholden to anything. You can have him date Black Cat or MJ or whomever and not have to worry about what happened in the 80s and whether or not that makes sense in a story written 40 years later.

A serialized story with progression probably can't last forever (at least if you intend to use the same protagonist) but neither can a story with a fixed status quo. Reboots really are the best answer long term and are probably inevitable even at Marvel. They just don't have to do them as often as DC.

Anything is possible. This isn't an argument that disproves my point that there is no reason to think they'll write out MJ in favor of some other love interest.
    I never mentioned another love interest, all I'm saying is that if they don't want to use her they're free to not use her without it looking too weird.

I feel that you're shifting the goalposts. "The movies will be fine and she doesn't have to come back if she doesn't want to" is a completely different argument from the fact that the MCU (as of now) is framing MJ as "the one" for Peter.
    I mean, "Zendaya doesn't have to come back and the movies will be fine" has been my point all along, no idea why you think I'm shifting goal posts.

If somehow only Holland comes back and the MCU has to change course, that would not take away from my point that the comics in 2023 looked off-brand in intentions from the MCU as well as from every other current adaptation.
    My point isn't about what the movies are doing compared to the comics (Something I didn't even talk about), all this time my point was about Zendaya alone and that if she doesn't come back after Spidey Home 3, it'd be fine enough with the way it ended.

Regardless of whether or not Zendaya comes back (and to that I still say there's no reason to think she won't), the intent with NWH's ending was clearly to reunite them. The MCU is too savvy and trope-conscious to intentionally leave a cliffhanger like that unresolved.
    Yeah, and if Zendaya decides to not come back, it will remain unresolved unless someone else gets to play Michelle.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

The problem is that while the sales numbers are seemingly there, the actual brand quality and the vibe around Amazing Spider-Man is at a real low. It's gotten to the point where creators don't want to work on Spider-Man because of these negative factors despite the fact that it's one of the top performing comics in the industry.