View Poll Results: When do you predict One More Day will get undone?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wells or the writer after him will undo it (mid 2020's)

3 3.80%
  • By the late 2020's

14 17.72%
  • In the 2030's

6 7.59%
  • In the 2040's

3 3.80%
  • Never / Not until Spider-Man is fully public domain

53 67.09%
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Looking at the poll results, I’m actually in agreement with the majority that voted. OMD as a story will likely never be undone.

MJ and Peter could end up together again somewhere down the line (I really don’t understand what’s being done right now with MJ, Spencer got them together only for MJ to somehow marry someone else ) but I don’t know if Marvel will re-install the marriage.

OMD was what…16 years ago? The character has been single longer than he’s been married (that’s taking into account his pre-marriage years) and I’m not sure Marvel’s creatives have inclination to go all the way back to bring back the marriage.

BANNED

I don't think it will happen BUT if there is any chance of it, it will be in ASM 1000. If it doesn't happen then, it never will. Talking about the marriage specifically. I will also say that if they ever reinstate the marriage, it won't be nearly as great as people think it will be. An impossible standard seems to be in place by those who want it back.

You know, even if they'll announce marriage, with how Kitty/Peter and Batman/Catwoman marriages turned out... I will believe it when I actually see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I love Ultimate, but I always thought The Spectacular Spider-Man was a superior version of what Bendis tried to do.
    The Spectacular Spider-man is a superior version of almost everything that it had time to do before it was cancelled.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Looking at the poll results, I’m actually in agreement with the majority that voted. OMD as a story will likely never be undone.

MJ and Peter could end up together again somewhere down the line (I really don’t understand what’s being done right now with MJ, Spencer got them together only for MJ to somehow marry someone else ) but I don’t know if Marvel will re-install the marriage.

OMD was what…16 years ago? The character has been single longer than he’s been married (that’s taking into account his pre-marriage years) and I’m not sure Marvel’s creatives have inclination to go all the way back to bring back the marriage.
    I think there's some misunderstanding of what it means to "undo" OMD. I doubt creatives would ever retcon away 16+ years of stories. As in Peter wakes up back in 2007 married again and the deal never happened.

My interpretation was them writing an OMD part 3 that puts the story to rest. Either Peter and Mary Jane regain their memories from the original timeline or decide to remarry on their own terms and this is written as a follow up to the initial story. (They get engaged, Mephisto attempts to intervene, tells them about their deal, etc.)

Given that they just retconned Sins Past (a story from 2004) and continually reference stories from 20 to 30+ years ago, I don't see why this is an impossibility under new creative management. Especially with the reputation that OMD has built within the fandom.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 02-25-2023 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I think there's some misunderstanding of what it means to "undo" OMD. I doubt creatives would ever retcon away 16+ years of stories. As in Peter wakes up back in 2007 married again.
    Well, they did it with 20 years of stories before, why not again? LOL

No but I agree, my idea of "undoing OMD" is having the characters become aware of the deal in the same way the reader is, confront Mephisto and somehow undo the pact so his influence is no longer over them going forward. Basically the marriage history is the true history and whatever changed because of the deal is also valid at the same time. Like the deal altered reality at that point but before that point they were married and all the knowledge is restored in the same way the readers read the comics. LIke a merging of two worlds somehow. This doesn't even mean they have to be married. It just means the marriage history becomes a valid part of their past that they can share and talk about.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 02-25-2023 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Into the Spider-Verse is based on Bendis' work on Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic where Miles Morales made his debut and his origin was told) and the Spider-Men crossover (where the Peter Parker of another universe travels to Miles' original universe) far more than it is on Spider-Verse. You don't need to downplay Bendis to promote Slott.

John Semper also introduced what we would later call the Spider-Verse in the 1990s animated Spider-Man series. The last two episodes featured the show's Spider-Man teaming up with alternate versions of himself to put a stop to another evil alternate version of himself. It was the inspiration for the Shattered Dimensions game that Slott later worked on, and the inspiration for the Spider-Verse comic event itself. You don't need to erase Semper to promote Slott.
    I mean, it's still Slott's usage of the Spider-Verse that popularized the very concept of it, similar to how how Stan Lee and Kirby the created the X-Men, but few cared about them until Claremont came around.

Sometimes one creates a thing and another popularizes it, that kind of thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This is very off-putting.

The core of Into the Spider-Verse are stories written by Bendis combined with some original material created by the movie's production team. The core story would remain the same with or without the stories written by Slott. Trying to cite the movie as an example of Slott's contributions to Spider-Man doesn't work, regardless of any addendum.
    Kevin come on.

All Lee is saying is that Slott had his infleunce on the very concept of Spider-Verse, that doesn't mean he's saying "And Bendis had 0% influence on this", it's not the damn point.

Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    He was the writer of Amazing Spider-man for over half of the century so far. It's not a surprise he has some influence. (The animated series Marvel's Spider-man particularly reuses a lot of his plots: I am not sure that's a good advertisement for his influence.)

On the other hand, Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man was I think the first successful attempt to write teenage Spider-man since Lee and Ditko aged him up. (There were aiui some unsuccessful attempts prior to that.) I am not a big fan of teenage Spider-man as a thing (they learned the wrong lesson from Ultimate's success in my opinion) but that's unquestionably one of the biggest changes to the way people think about the franchise that there's been.
    It doesn't help Ultimate itself absolutely refused to age up Spidey, he started 15 and "died" at 16, over 100 issues later... And this is supposed to be the more realistic universe lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I sort of regret supporting USM if I had known the influence it would have been to de-age Spider-Man in so much media after it's success. I think a lot of the success is because it was framed as being the relaunch of ASM for the first time since the 1960s for a new generation of readers and is plugged as "the old ASM has gone on too long, so read this instead!" Then other books followed like X-Men as if Marvel were going to do away with old 616 eventually and you better jump on board with Ultimate! And then the art and writing was extremely consistent and quality did not decline. I mean, there is no denying the quality of that book, it was VERY well done. Other teenage Spider-Man attempts like Untold Tales reprinting the classics etc, just didn't take like that one did.
    Ultimate Spidey is fun, but I detest its influence on Spider-Man...

Though that's not really its fault, it's kinda like how Kingdom Come popularized a more violent Wonder Woman, when Kingdom Come itself made it clear that Diana becoming more violent over time is a very bad thing.

We literally have no reason to assume only Holland will return. If both of them refuse, they will probably do sonething else entirely with Spider-Man (i.e. pseudo reboot or Miles Morales).

Plus, as TinkerSpider said, the MCU is too smart to leave Peter and MJ on a cliffhanger. They're not going to break the promise of reuniting them the way Quesada broke it. They're infinitely smarter than that.
    Dude, when they wrote Civil War, they had scripts without Iron Man ready just in case Downey didn't return.

Yes MCU may be smart enough to not leave that on a cliffhanger, and they're also smart enough to leave Spidey Home 3 in a way that, if Zendaya doesn't return, she can stop showing up, when you're dealing with actors in a long running movie franchise you have to do things like this.

Also really, who's Watts? Lol.

I love Ultimate, but I always thought The Spectacular Spider-Man was a superior version of what Bendis tried to do. It actually had a teen Peter who uses 21st century slang. It integrated computers and cell phones better. It had a diverse cast (the first Spider-Man iteration ever to have it). And it translated classic stories and designs from the Lee/Ditko/Romita era into a modern setting perfectly. Also, you know those age-old questions we keep debating whenever there is a reboot? (I.e. How did Peter meet Harry and Gwen in high school if they're not from Queens? Should he go to a magnet school or not? Can a 616 Green Goblin still work or should they do Demon Goblin?) Greg Weisman gave us objective answers to those questions. Better answers than even Ultimate.

The fact that Ultimate is treated as the gold standard for how to do a teen Peter in the 21st century, it feels a bit nepotistic: Ultimate was written at Marvel and by a major comics writer whom most writers doing adaptations love, so Ultimate gets to be part of the conversation anytime there is a relaunch or reboot. Spectacular was made at Sony and was made by a guy who is big in the TV industry, but not among comics writers. So his version didn't get to be part of the conversation when the MCU rebooted or whenever someone wants to reboot Spider-Man... even though it was more "modern" and Weisman thought certain things through more than Bendis did.

Seems a little unfair.
    Spectacular also has influences on some stuff (Which GodzillaMendoza points out here) but nobody ever talks about those.

Admitedly I didn't know about any of these, (Save for the Shocker one, and I didn't make the connection), so I was surprised at seeing 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    You know, even if they'll announce marriage, with how Kitty/Peter and Batman/Catwoman marriages turned out... I will believe it when I actually see it.
    If they ever announce that Spidey and MJ will be getting married again, if I'm still around, I'll be the annoying one who once in a while will remind everyone of these events as evidence to not trust Marvel's promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The Spectacular Spider-man is a superior version of almost everything that it had time to do before it was cancelled.
    And it's still the superior version of pretty much anything that came after.

Like, seriously, I watched the entire thing 5 times, and I'm not someone who tends to rewatch entire shows, much less that many times, it's so great.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-25-2023 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Dude, when they wrote Civil War, they had scripts without Iron Man ready just in case Downey didn't return.
    Just in case he didn't return for the third Captain America film. He was always going to return for the last two Avengers films. They signed his new contract after the success of the first Avengers.

Yes MCU may be smart enough to not leave that on a cliffhanger, and they're also smart enough to leave Spidey Home 3 in a way that, if Zendaya doesn't return, she can stop showing up, when you're dealing with actors in a long running movie franchise you have to do things like this.
    After NWH came out, only Holland said he wasn't sure if he was going to return. Zendaya never said anything like that, and there is no reason to think she did. They didn't end NWH like that out of some exclusive accommodation or consideration for Zendaya.

Also really, who's Watts? Lol.
    The director of Homecoming/FFH/NWH.

Spectacular also has influences on some stuff (Which GodzillaMendoza points out here) but nobody ever talks about those.

Admitedly I didn't know about any of these, (Save for the Shocker one, and I didn't make the connection), so I was surprised at seeing 'em.
    It had some influence, sure, but not on par with Ultimate. And for no other reason I can think of except, honestly, a bit of nepotism and bias due to it being written by Bendis (no offense to him) and done at Marvel instead of Sony.

I'm talking about the "Peter" part of Ultimate here. Miles is a different story.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-25-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Just in case he didn't return for the third Captain America film. He was always going to return for the last two Avengers films. They signed his new contract after the success of the first Avengers.

After NWH came out, only Holland said he wasn't sure if he was going to return. Zendaya never said anything like that, and there is no reason to think she did. They didn't end NWH like that out of some exclusive accommodation or consideration for Zendaya.

The director of Homecoming/FFH/NWH.
    If Holland didn't want to show up for another trilogy I doubt Zendaya would have come back to her role to finish her story with another recasted Peter Parker
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    If Holland didn't want to show up for another trilogy I doubt Zendaya would have come back to her role to finish her story with another recasted Peter Parker
    That's my point. They either come back together or leave together. And if they leave, you bring in Miles Morales or do a pseudo-reboot and recast the roles.

The least likely possibility is keeping Holland's Peter but writing MJ out of the narrative like in BND. Especially not so that "Peter can date other women" like the BND guys wanted.

I think there's some misunderstanding of what it means to "undo" OMD. I doubt creatives would ever retcon away 16+ years of stories. As in Peter wakes up back in 2007 married again and the deal never happened.

My interpretation was them writing an OMD part 3 that puts the story to rest. Either Peter and Mary Jane regain their memories from the original timeline or decide to remarry on their own terms and this is written as a follow up to the initial story. (They get engaged, Mephisto attempts to intervene, tells them about their deal, etc.)

Given that they just retconned Sins Past (a story from 2004) and continually reference stories from 20 to 30+ years ago, I don't see why this is an impossibility under new creative management. Especially with the reputation that OMD has built within the fandom.
    This is likely the way it would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You're not looking at it objectively. Mister Negative, Screwball, Yuri Watanabe and Anti-Venom all crossed over into video games and other media. FEAST crossed over into the movies and video games. Dan has worked on the video games. Agent Venom crossed over into animation. The most recent Spider-Man cartoon borrowed so much from his run (the Horizon Labs cast, Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Island, Screwball etc.) that they brought him on as a consultant, it was to his run on the comics what the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon was to Bendis' comics. His comics run set-up a whole bunch of spin-offs, including Agent Venom, Kaine Scarlet Spider, Silk, Renew Your Vows, Spider-Gwen, Web Warriors, Edge of Spider-Verse, Spider-Punk and a new Morbius series. The Spider-Verse movies wouldn't exist in the form they do if it weren't for his Spider-Verse comics. Silk is getting a TV series. Alternate costumes introduced in his series keep on getting made into action figures and video game skins. Superior Spider-Man was a huge hit for Marvel Comics, that storyline alone would have secured his legacy on the series.

Like it or not, Dan Slott's body of work has had an impact on the Spider-Man series.
    Yep, dude had an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Slott also brought back Spidey's science side and exaggerated it with the weird tech he had once in a while, and that's definitely influenced at least PS4 Spidey (It even has a situation on the Black Cat DLC where he can't use web shooters because of some EMP device, a similar thing happened with Spidey's tech when he confronted Norman during vol 4), and normalized him having suits that are more than just a regular costume, which's also part of PS4 Spidey.

Also would making Flash into Venom count? I'm not sure if Slott is the one who came up with it, but it probably debuted in his ASM run... And that at the very least showed up in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

Because milestones can be gimmicks to have such developments to begin with.

Your theory would also imply that Marvel would want to get rid of it ASAP, which, is not something they do, only if they realize after publication that something was a terrible idea and they have to reverse it ASAP (Like Xorneto on the X-Men side), which's, definitely not the case with OMD, 'cause they actually respect it, a lot.
    My theory is that if there is enough momentum at Marvel editorial to get rid of the marriage, it would make sense to do it as soon as possible.

Otherwise, the situation may change in a few years. Editors may change departments, and people in publishing could get fired. For a major change, you often need the stars to align, because if the people in charge are divided, the likeliest outcome is that they'll stick with the current status quo.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

He's saying that whomever chooses to undo OMD must buy into the logic that marriage is bad for the book's longevity. And has therefore decided that longevity is no longer a concern when reinstating the marriage.

When in reality, those who decide to undo OMD and reinstate the marrige might just disagree with that logic in the first place. Not all creatives share the same opinions.
    I suspect there will be more internal divisions about undoing One More Day if the gameplan is to keep Amazing Spider-Man going indefinitely with Peter Parker as the lead.

Some pros may think marriage is better as a story engine, but it seems unlikely they'll persuade the others. Especially since the better argument is that there are more stories to be told with an unmarried Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Some pros may think marriage is better as a story engine, but it seems unlikely they'll persuade the others. Especially since the better argument is that there are more stories to be told with an unmarried Spider-Man.
    Which "better arguments" are we talking about?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I suspect there will be more internal divisions about undoing One More Day if the gameplan is to keep Amazing Spider-Man going indefinitely with Peter Parker as the lead.

I disagree that it's the "better argument" or that "more stories can be told" but rather than fall down that rabbit hole...

I think we're getting to the point where trying to maintain continuity without progression is becoming unsustainable as a business model. That might be argument enough to begin aging the characters again slowly. Especially with popular legacy characters already in place. If you age the characters, then it makes little sense to keep "no marriage" as an edict.

It almost reminds me of the old style Dan DeCarlo Archie comics. Leadership tried to keep that character frozen within a particular "model" for so many years that the readership lost interest. Revamping the character with a more modern serialized approach was a huge success for that series. Right now, Peter Parker feels as though he's stuck in his own version of Dan DeCarlo Archie.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 02-25-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Which "better arguments" are we talking about?
    Yeah, there have been many counter-arguments offered to that.

Arguabky the only thing "better" about it is that the people who adhere to it are in power.