View Poll Results: When do you predict One More Day will get undone?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wells or the writer after him will undo it (mid 2020's)

3 3.80%
  • By the late 2020's

14 17.72%
  • In the 2030's

6 7.59%
  • In the 2040's

3 3.80%
  • Never / Not until Spider-Man is fully public domain

53 67.09%
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    undone meaning what exactly? Secret ID is no more, Aunt May dead Peter and MJ back together the answer is no
    hear-hear!

If we're talking "Spidey vs Mephisto," sure, yeah, 2032. Mark yer calendars!

There is more chance on creating a Zendaya version of MJ and putting her as Peter's lover than undoing OMD and let him be married with Mary Jane Watson.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    undone meaning what exactly? Secret ID is no more, Aunt May dead Peter and MJ back together the answer is no
    Undone in the sense that there is no edict preventing a writer from writing Peter as a married man and with his pre-OMD level of maturity.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-23-2023 at 01:16 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's a reasonable assumption based on the reasons I mentioned.

Pressure for ASM 1000 to succeed goes beyond just Spider-Man Editorial. No doubt it will be a mainstream event. Mainstream media will talk about it.
    Absolutely nothing of importance will happen in ASM 1000, it's gonna be the usual short-story collection we get all the time from the big two. Also no the mainstream media will not care about it, comics are completely irrelevant to them.

Put me down as never, i just don't think Disney/Marvel want a married Spider-Man as default version. There will be AUs and flashback stories but 616 Spider-Man will be basically the same when i'm on my death bed in a couple of decades (hopefully)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrap View Post
    Absolutely nothing of importance will happen in ASM 1000, it's gonna be the usual short-story collection we get all the time from the big two. Also no the mainstream media will not care about it, comics are completely irrelevant to them.
    When it comes to major iconic heroes like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wonder Woman... the mainstream media absolutely cares what happens when there is a major historic event.

These are all the events that were reported by the mainstream media in the last 35 years alone:

Spider-Man's wedding
    The Death of Superman
    Spider-Man's unmasking in Civil War
    Wonder Woman getting a new costume (2010)
    Superman renouncing his American citizenship
    Action Comics restarting from #1 (2011)
    The debut of Miles Morales

ASM #1000 will undoubtedly catch their attention. Not only is it Spider-Man, the company's flagship book... it will also be the first Marvel book in history to reach that number.

When it comes to major iconic heroes like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wonder Woman... the mainstream media absolutely cares what happens when there is a major historic event.

These are all the events that were reported by the mainstream media in the last 35 years alone:

Spider-Man's wedding
    The Death of Superman

ASM #1000 will undoubtedly catch their attention. Not only is it Spider-Man, the company's flagship book... it will also be the first Marvel book in history to reach that number.
    Plus the FAR more popular games and movies have Peter and MJ together (with a kid no less!). The comics aren't really the default version anymore, due to their relatively small audience compared to the Playstation games and movies. The comics are the only Spider media hanging on to this "young single loser" portrayal.

Spectacular Member

Spider-Man's wedding
    The Death of Superman
    Superman renouncing his American citizenship

Getting a press release and repeating it on air doesn't count as mainstream news, that's just fluff. Your local pumpkin festival gets more coverage than any those things you mentioned. ASM 1000 will not be mainstream news, you sound more delusional than Marvel marketing

Mighty Member

So much pessimism lol. Never? Really? Not even 20+ years from now when all of these creators are in their 70s, 80s, and up?

makes me wonder if I'm being overly optimistic in my estimation lmao

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrap View Post
    Getting a press release and repeating it on air doesn't count as mainstream news, that's just fluff. Your local pumpkin festival gets more coverage than any those things you mentioned. ASM 1000 will not be mainstream news, you sound more delusional than Marvel marketing
    If CNN and The New York Times don't count as mainstream news, then there is no such thing as mainstream news.

Look, maybe you unironically think that Marvel is as bad as Hitler... but even Hitler cared if the 1936 Olympics were good and looked good in front of the whole world. Marvel will care if a book they know CNN and The New York Times will talk about (even if just briefly) is decent and readable.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

If CNN and The New York Times don't count as mainstream news, then there is no such thing as mainstream news.

Look, maybe you unironically think that Marvel is as bad as Hitler... but even Hitler cared if the 1936 Olympics were good and looked good in front of the whole world. Marvel will care if a book they know CNN and The New York Times will talk about (even if just briefly) is decent and readable.
    I mean they even had a story on the national news when Otto "killed" Peter and that Peter Parker had died. When Cap was killed, didn't see much of anything

Plus when they got married there were newspaper articles and a wedding at Shea Stadium

Mighty Member

The Spider-man wedding had a feature in the New York Times if I'm not mistaken. That's no small potatoes. As far as 1000, idk if it'll get that much mainstream coverage. If they're smart they'll push for it.

Astonishing Member

I'm voting never, in the hopes that I am wrong.

Regardless, AF 15/Spider-Man enters the public domain in 2058, and ASM 42/Mary Jane will enter the public domain in 2061. That's not really all that long from now, in the scheme of things. There will still be trademark limitations, but as we're seeing with the Winnie the Pooh horror film, one can still use use identifying costumes/appearances. And I'm still waiting for a definitive fan work to take hold of the public consciousness, which I have no doubt will happen eventually.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    makes me wonder if I'm being overly optimistic in my estimation lmao
    Sometimes cynicism masquerades as realism. When it does that, it's more based on confirmation bias than on any sort of objective look at the situation.

I mean, yes it's a fact that current Editorial won't budge on OMD and that they get away with it. But that's not the only fact we know and have access to. Like the fact that Marvek likes brand synergy, seems to be struggling to find pro-OMD writers outside of the BND generation, and the fact that Wells further tarnished the BND Brand and caused them to lose complete control of the narrative (which no company wants - if for reasons not other than maintaining power). Coupled that with factors like ASM 1000 coming up and the mainstream media having eyes on that (reminder:Editorial gets away with OMD because the mainstream doesn't know about it)... all of this paints a complicated picture and doesn't rule out anything.

After what I read yesterday i am officially done with Spidey. MJ and Peter was one of the greatest love stories I have enjoyed in comics. But to say 'like a sister" is Horrible and just downright wrong IMO. The writers have tore down this relationship for a while now.
    Last edited by IN-a-Synch; 02-24-2023 at 06:21 AM.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    After what I read yesterday i am officially done with Spidey. MJ and Peter was one of the greatest love stories I have enjoyed in comics. But to say like a sister is Horrible and just downright wrong IMO. The writers have tore down this relationship for a while now.
    I'm right with you and have been for a while after end of Spencer's run let me down! Full support on your decision!