View Poll Results: When do you predict One More Day will get undone?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wells or the writer after him will undo it (mid 2020's)

3 3.80%
  • By the late 2020's

14 17.72%
  • In the 2030's

6 7.59%
  • In the 2040's

3 3.80%
  • Never / Not until Spider-Man is fully public domain

53 67.09%
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

It'll happen sometimes inbetween them undoing Gwen Stacy's death and them retconning Peter's parents as spies.

And the very next issue we'll find out who FACADE really is!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It'll happen sometimes inbetween them undoing Gwen Stacy's death and them retconning Peter's parents as spies.

Gwen Stacy came back earlier in Wells' run and was then murdered again by a Celestial, which is as it should be. Peter's parents...eh...that's never getting retconned, One More Day will get retconned first.

F.A.C.A.D.E. was the friends we made along the way.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Peter's parents being spies makes so much more sense when you realize it was Stan's commentary on The Rosenbergs, which was absolutely a big thing in Jewish communities in Stan's day.

(But Marvel will never admit Peter was Jewish.)

Astonishing Member

What is meant by "until Spider-Man is fully public domain"? Marvel will always be making new Spider-Man stories and adding new things to the mythos. There will always be decades of the most recent Spider-Man stories completely inaccessible to the public domain.

When Spider-Man and Mary Jane do become public domain Disney aren't going to allow major publishers infringe upon their non-public domain stories. Peter and Mary Jane being married is a a story development introduced in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21. You'll be waiting until 2083 for that to become public domain. If someone wants to publish a story that "undoes" One More Day, they'll have to wait until 2103 for One More Day to become public domain, otherwise they can't use anything from that story.

It's a dead end. Fan fiction already exists, enjoy that instead.

When Marvel decides they’re not worried about the long term future of the 616 Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Peter's parents being spies makes so much more sense when you realize it was Stan's commentary on The Rosenbergs, which was absolutely a big thing in Jewish communities in Stan's day.

(But Marvel will never admit Peter was Jewish.)
    This is the first time I’ve heard this theory. A complication is that they were clearly guilty.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is the first time I’ve heard this theory. A complication is that they were clearly guilty.
    Indeed. But Jewish communities didn't accept that in the 1960s, in the days Stan was writing ASM.

I think Marvel trying to put some distance between the Rosenbergs and Spider-Man is totally understandable.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 02-23-2023 at 07:06 PM.

OMD will be done when Peter decides it’s okay to be in love with his sister.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    OMD will be done when Peter decides it’s okay to be in love with his sister.
    And then he'll marry Teresa instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Never, because that would imply Marvel sees Spiderman as anything more than a brand and a marketing immortal figure that offers anything more to them than being popular to children and nerds that self insert as him in shipping.

Astonishing Member

Interesting results we got so far. Two thirds think Marvel will never budge until they literally lose monopoly on the character, while the remaining third think the chances are stronger that it might be undone in the next few years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    When it comes to major iconic heroes like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Wonder Woman... the mainstream media absolutely cares what happens when there is a major historic event.

These are all the events that were reported by the mainstream media in the last 35 years alone:

Spider-Man's wedding
    The Death of Superman
    Spider-Man's unmasking in Civil War
    Wonder Woman getting a new costume (2010)
    Superman renouncing his American citizenship
    Action Comics restarting from #1 (2011)
    The debut of Miles Morales

ASM #1000 will undoubtedly catch their attention. Not only is it Spider-Man, the company's flagship book... it will also be the first Marvel book in history to reach that number.
    This just could mean Spider-Man gets a futher reboot back to when hes a teenager, you ever thought that? Peters most iconic thing about him is the first arcs of his life as young hero and being a growing teen. Not his marriage.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    This just could mean Spider-Man gets a futher reboot back to when hes a teenager, you ever thought that? Peters most iconic thing about him is the first arcs of his life as young hero and being a growing teen. Not his marriage.
    They're not going to make ASM 1000 a hard reboot. A big "finale" to a new #1 perhaps.

Regardless, I've been saying that they should just hard reboot Amazing Spider-man for years now. Not a half-assed reboot like BND. Why bother with a sprawling continuity if the continuity is constantly ignored and/or mucked up?

If it happens (big if), I'm guessing closer to the 2040s than not. Current management is vehemently anti-marriage (so far as 616 comics are concerned), come hell or high water. If it's going to come back, I think that's going to mean some kind of corporate shakeup or a new generation of creatives taking charge. This all started because members of the brass wanted the comics to revolve around a specific version of Spider-Man, so it seems to follow that that's the only way it gets undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    When Marvel decides they’re not worried about the long term future of the 616 Spider-Man.
    Don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Interesting results we got so far. Two thirds think Marvel will never budge until they literally lose monopoly on the character, while the remaining third think the chances are stronger that it might be undone in the next few years.
    Guess that's the optimists and pessimists on the forum. To be fair to the former, the Marvel brass have repeatedly said time and again that they will not budge and that Spider-Man must remain "pure." In the case of the latter, the backlash and rejection of the post-OMD status quo still being a thing shows that Marvel's attempts to erase the marriage and move on from things haven't been totally successful and there has been an uptick of stuff that treats it with respect (saying the marriage is only an AU-worthy thing might not be much better, but more than I would've expected only a few years ago).

Long story short, I think the fans overestimate the amount of influence they have on Marvel, while Marvel's current Spider-Man agenda is based on the faulty assumption that the marriage isn't an essential element to the franchise and lore, hence why it appears that it could go either way. Mileage may vary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Don't get it.
    He's saying that whomever chooses to undo OMD must buy into the logic that marriage is bad for the book's longevity. And has therefore decided that longevity is no longer a concern when reinstating the marriage.

When in reality, those who decide to undo OMD and reinstate the marrige might just disagree with that logic in the first place. Not all creatives share the same opinions.