View Poll Results: When do you predict One More Day will get undone?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wells or the writer after him will undo it (mid 2020's)

3 3.80%
  • By the late 2020's

14 17.72%
  • In the 2030's

6 7.59%
  • In the 2040's

3 3.80%
  • Never / Not until Spider-Man is fully public domain

53 67.09%
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The most recurring ideas in the "If you were in charge of Spider-Man" thread were that Peter should have a stable career, a stable relationship, be a mentor to teenagers, lead the Avengers, be hyper competent at defeating villains. Comparatively, there was very little said about what the sources of conflict would be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I don't think anybody has said that on here, but I agree that some people take issue with Marvel leaning too far into those things you listed. Spidey should always have those things but I think that, post-OMD, those things have been exaggerated and there's no balance to the character.
    The problem isn't Spider-Man being broke or single - people were fine with Insomniac Pete being evicted and Peter B. being divorced and depressed - but rather the reason why the comics keep doing it.

Editorial's reason for keeping him that way is "Cuz Peter is a looooooooser!!" That's it. Not because it's hard for your average person to pay rent*, or because relationships can be tricky. It's for a reason that is (1) mean-spirited and (2) not grounded in reality whatsoever.

I promise that if Marvel wasn't mean-spirited about it, and if their reason for keeping Peter broke actually came from something relatable, most fans would accept it. And the proof is that the adaptations that do that were accepted while Post-OMD Spidey is not.

*Do the editors and writers even know how hard it is for your average New Yorker to pay rent? They keep talking about how Peter can't get married because he would have too much "stability". Uh, no married couple living in New York has "stability" these days. Especially not in the last 3 years, and especially not if they're Millennial.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-27-2023 at 06:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Editorial's reason for keeping him that way is "Cuz Peter is a looooooooser!!"
    Which editor said that?

The problem isn't Spider-Man being broke or single - people were fine with Insomniac Pete being evicted and Peter B. being divorced and depressed - but rather the reason why the comics keep doing it.

Editorial's reason for keeping him that way is "Cuz Peter is a looooooooser!!" That's it. Not because it's hard for your average person to pay rent*, or because relationships can be tricky. It's for a reason that is (1) mean-spirited and (2) not grounded in reality whatsoever.

I promise that if Marvel wasn't mean-spirited about it, and if their reason for keeping Peter broke actually came from something relatable, most fans would accept it. And the proof is that the adaptations that do that were accepted while Post-OMD Spidey is not.

*Do the editors and writers even know how hard it is for your average New Yorker to pay rent? They keep talking about how Peter can't get married because he would have too much "stability". Uh, no married couple living in New York has "stability" these days. Especially not in the last 3 years, and especially not if they're Millennial.
    They might not want to pull that thread because there's an easy answer that no one needs an expensive apartment so they can't complain if it costs so much.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    They might not want to pull that thread because there's an easy answer that no one needs an expensive apartment so they can't complain if it costs so much.
    All rent for all apartments in NYC is expensive now.

If this is what Editorial thinks (not saying they do, but you brought it up), then that would just prove my point that Marvel in general is out of touch with everyday people and readers.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-27-2023 at 09:01 AM.

All rent for all apartments in NYC is expensive now.

If this is what Editorial thinks (not saying they do), then that would just prove my point that Marvel in general is out of touch with everyday people and readers.
    Idk, man, pretty sure no one from the assistant editors, Lowe, the writers or even E.I.C is making crazy money in publishing. The halcyon days of the 1990s are far behind

They're in it for the love of the game

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Idk, man, pretty sure no one from the assistant editors, Lowe, the writers or even E.I.C is making crazy money in publishing. The halcyon days of the 1990s are far behind

They're in it for the love of the game
    They're maybe not millionaires, but it's still a heck of a lot of money compared to someone stuck paying rent.

Also, you can be in it for the love of the game and still be out of touch with people's everyday struggles.

But I'm not even sure why you're acting like I said they're out of touch. I made an "if" statement, and it was in response to an assumption made by Mister Mets about what Editorial thinks (in other words, not an assumption on my part here).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-27-2023 at 10:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The most recurring ideas in the "If you were in charge of Spider-Man" thread were that Peter should have a stable career, a stable relationship, be a mentor to teenagers, lead the Avengers, be hyper competent at defeating villains. Comparatively, there was very little said about what the sources of conflict would be.

That's because conflict should, but rarely does in modern Spider-Man comics, come from the characters.

Peter's internal conflict, as it was from 1962 to 2007 and still always should be, comes from the eternal struggle between Peter's responsibility to greater society as a person with great power and Peter's desire to live a normal life. Of all the criticisms one may level at JMS's run, no one has ever said it lacked conflict despite Peter being a teacher and happily married to MJ.

External conflict can come from anywhere: Doc Ock is a genocial maniac about to blow up the world. The Lizard is on a rampage. An amoral government official has outlawed superheroics. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    It's just fascinating that editorial would continue to stand behind a mandate that remains so divisive and unpopular and that the larger parent company appears to have no vested interest in maintaining. For a story that, at the end of the day, reaches only a fraction of people consuming Spider-man media. If you can allow the marriage in almost every other form, why not just allow it in 616 as you could always magic it away again in the future? That's why I just don't see this mandate lasting indefinitely if even another decade.
    I am very curious how today's announcement that Marvel Entertainment is being dissolved, with the firing of Ike Perlmutter and removal of the Marvel Entertainment execs, may or may not affect the comics. Kevin Feige already had creative oversight of Marvel, but now he's the sole captain with Dan Buckley, the publisher of the comics, reporting only to him while previously Dan also reported to Perlmutter. And it sounds like businesses like toy licensing, etc, will be put under Disney instead of being Marvel handling its own properties. Will this mean even closer synergy between the comics and Feige's Marvel Studios (keeping in mind Perlmutter tried to get Feige fired once upon a time)? And since Feige has expressed admiration for JMS's run and in ASM 900 he named Mary Jane as his love interest of choice...
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 03-29-2023 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I am very curious how today's announcement that Marvel Entertainment is being dissolved, with the firing of Ike Perlmutter and removal of the Marvel Entertainment execs, may or may not affect the comics. Kevin Feige already had creative oversight of Marvel, but now he's the sole captain with Dan Buckley, the publisher of the comics, reporting only to him while previously Dan also reported to Perlmutter. And it sounds like businesses like toy licensing, etc, will be put under Disney instead of being Marvel handling its own properties. Will this mean even closer synergy between the comics and Feige's Marvel Studios (keeping in mind Perlmutter tried to get Feige fired once upon a time)? And since Feige has expressed admiration for JMS's run and in ASM 900 he named Mary Jane as his love interest of choice...
    At the rate this is going Disney will be bankrupt and everything they own sold off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    At the rate this is going Disney will be bankrupt and everything they own sold off.
    Yeah, no. Disney is far from bankrupt.

Disney's gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2022 was $28.195B, a 12.49% increase year-over-year.

Disney net income for the twelve months ending December 31, 2022 was $3.320B, a 7.72% increase year-over-year. That's profit minus all operating expenses, taxes, etc.

Ironically, it's because of Perlmutter that Iger was forced to announce layoffs, because Perlmutter and his ally Nelson Peltz were trying to force Iger out of Disney so Iger had to announce cost cutting to get Pelz to back down.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 03-29-2023 at 04:12 PM.

Yeah, no. Disney is far from bankrupt.

Disney's gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2022 was $28.195B, a 12.49% increase year-over-year.

Disney net income for the twelve months ending December 31, 2022 was $3.320B, a 7.72% increase year-over-year. That's profit minus all operating expenses, taxes, etc.

Ironically, it's because of Perlmutter that Iger was forced to announce layoffs, because Perlmutter and his ally Nelson Peltz were trying to force Iger out of Disney so Iger had to announce cost cutting to get Pelz to back down.
    Oh, yeah, they're not bankrupt yet, but.... They've taken unprecedented steps to stay solvent.

Fantastic Member

Post-OMD Spidey has remained one of Marvel’s best-selling comics for fifteen years. So where’s this proof you speak of?

Oh, yeah, they're not bankrupt yet, but.... They've taken unprecedented steps to stay solvent.

Disney is beating every other studio in Hollywood and it isnt close.

If you think Disney is hurting thats because they are pretty much everyone else's primary target because they are the only guys making ANY money post 2020. Its not a coincidence every site on the internet is game to run hit pieces with anonymous nobodies in vfx all of a sudden.

The entertainment industry is hurting BAD right now.

I assume that depends on who set the policy to mandate the OMD retcon be maintained indefinitely, how many supporters are left after the restructuring vs. hypothetical marriage supporters and all that. There's also Dan Slott's old claims on that semi-infamous thread that there was a something in place that made it impossible for the marriage to ever come back no matter who was in charge of things. Assuming that wasn't just hyperbole, how does the mystery thing factor in and do the changes throw this up in the air, too.

Unless we get evidence otherwise, I seriously doubt the marriage is coming back anytime soon; keeping 616 Spider-Man unmarried seems to be a sacred cow among those in charge (to the point that what the fans want isn't even part of the calculus) and I don't get the impression that that many other people working on the franchise mind the retcon. Call me a pessimist on this point.

Also, I wouldn't take Feige's professed fondness for MJ as Spider-Man's significant other as proof in and of itself that Marvel will stop trying to keep them apart, undo the OMD retcon, restore the marriage, or whatever combination thereof; most of the pro-OMD Marvel brass and creative have claimed to like MJ, just not as what she evolved into. It could, but I don't think we can assume anything.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

They really aren't. They not even close to taking unprecedented steps. These steps are very much precedented. They're pretty much taken out straight from the Big Corporate Handbook 101.

Disney is still working through consolidations from the Fox merger, plus adjusting to a post-pandemic world - like a whole host of other companies globally right now.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I assume that depends on who set the policy to mandate the OMD retcon be maintained indefinitely, how many supporters are left after the restructuring vs. hypothetical marriage supporters and all that. There's also Dan Slott's old claims on that semi-infamous thread that there was a something in place that made it impossible for the marriage to ever come back no matter who was in charge of things. Assuming that wasn't just hyperbole, how does the mystery thing factor in and do the changes throw this up in the air, too.
    If Bob Iger wanted Spider-Man married, it would happen tomorrow. There is no such thing as an in-perpetuity corporate policy. Companies are made of people. Those people change. Those people also have a fidiciary responsibility to the shareholders which means adjusting policies as necessary to fit the zeitgeist and the audience.

Once upon a time, the people in charge wanted Spider-Man married. Then once upon another time, the people in charge didn't want him married. Time marches forward; there will be other once upon a times and other people in charge and they will make their own decisions.

That's assuming Disney continues to print new monthly comics, that is. The former Marvel Entertainment group's revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to their other lines of revenue. I would love to see Marvel's net income, especially just for comics. And paper costs only continue to rise.

Unless we get evidence otherwise, I seriously doubt the marriage is coming back anytime soon; keeping 616 Spider-Man unmarried seems to be a sacred cow among those in charge (to the point that what the fans want isn't even part of the calculus) and I don't get the impression that that many other people working on the franchise mind the retcon. Call me a pessimist on this point.
    Perch - who seems to have access to insiders - has a very interesting video addressing this, especially around the 12 minute mark. Don't know how true this is, but...putting it out there. It feels right to me, but that's just a feeling.

Also, I agree with you.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 03-30-2023 at 06:52 PM.