View Poll Results: When do you predict One More Day will get undone?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wells or the writer after him will undo it (mid 2020's)

3 3.80%
  • By the late 2020's

14 17.72%
  • In the 2030's

6 7.59%
  • In the 2040's

3 3.80%
  • Never / Not until Spider-Man is fully public domain

53 67.09%
Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    As of now, when do you personally think One More Day is most likely to get undone (if ever)?

Even though we know very little and can't predict the future, this might be a fun and interesting poll to look back on.

Feel free to make the best case for your answer regardless of what it is.
    Not until the OMD haters joins the Marvel Editorial team.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-26-2023 at 04:30 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Quesada for all his faults was actually pretty good at pushing the envelope and getting some unique talent on big titles to reinvigorate them. (The problem arose when he got too heavy handed with his creative direction IMO.)

You can't really 'innovate' these books when you have the same group of writers and artists cycling around for so long.
    Ironically, if it wasn't for OMD, Quesada would go down as one of the best Spider-Man Editors of all time. Even with Sins Past being a thing.

The writers and editorial that preceeded him were so bad, they actually make Quesada look reasonable by comparison. He didn't dislike MJ. He said he didn't want Peter and MJ to divorce because it would imply their relationship didn't work out... the total opposite of what Cebulski said.

Eveb his definition of "young" Spider-Man was more lenient. He seemed fine with a late teens/early 20's Spider-Man. He only seemed to have beef with a mid-20s / married Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It wasn't so great immediately pre-Clone Saga either. The whole 1990s was a rough patch for Amazing Spider-Man. Often okay, but rarely great or particularly memorable.
    I completely disagree that "the whole 1990s was a rough patch for Spider-Man".

First of all, the late 80s/early 90s is arguably the single best era of Spider-Man ever (and my favorite) with Michelinie on ASM and Conway on Spectacular and Web. These issues were all great solid Spider-Man stories full of awesome character writing and iconic villains. It's like a perfect baseline Spider-man era that I would refer any new reader to see what Spider-Man is like in his prime.

When Conway left, the side titles fell off until DeMatteis took over Spectacular which is probably the single best loved run of Spectacular Spider-Man ever with The Child Within and Harry Osborn saga. Then Michelinie honestly stayed on too long and the quality suffered (having too much symbiote involvement and Maximum Carnage) but then a miracle happened. DeMatteis took over ASM and had some of the best written/greatest ASM issues of all time including the legendary ASM 400. Had the Clone Saga been shortened I believe the quality would have continued to be great. Also, had the clone saga not happened at all with DeMatteis on ASM we may have had the single best ASM run of all time with his writing on it. However, with Marvel pushing more clones, quality declined until Ben took over. The book was actually pretty solid with Ben as the main Spider-Man through 1996.

Then post-clone saga (1997-1998) we actually had a VERY SOLID era of Spider-Man again with DeFalco on Amazing and DeMatteis back on Spectacular. Everyone seems to forget the quality of these books because of the clone saga that preceeded it.

Then admittedly at the very end in 1999 we had one bad year of Spider-Man. So overal I would say 1993, 1995, and 1999 are the only "poor" or rough years and the quality outside of that was VERY GOOD.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 02-24-2023 at 11:22 AM.

Mighty Member

Even then, Peter x MJ is more dominant outside the comics now more than ever. ITSV, Insomniac, and MCU all put huge emphasis on MJ (more than even the Raimi films did), with NWH in particular going out of its way to canonize Zendaya as the MCU MJ and to portray MJ as a constant throughout the multiverse. The same goes for ITSV and ATSV.

And that's just the relationship part. As far as Peter himself goes, Insomniac and Lord & Miller's Peter are fully grown adults in their mid 20's or older. Peter B. is married while Insomniac Peter is living with MJ in Aunt May's old house and considering a teaching job like in the JMS run. MCU Peter is still a teen in college, sure, but even he will get there eventually... and probably sooner than we think given that Tom and Zendaya are both in their mid 20's.

So even if we go by brand synergy, the comics look very off-brand right now.

Sins Past and The Other notwithstanding, I think 2000-2007 was a great time for Spider-Man comics. We had the JMS run, the Paul Jenkins run, Marvel Knights, Blue, To Have and To Hold, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, and Ultimate. Most of those were in 616 and had a married Spider-Man.

The comics in the 90's only started sucking in 1994 with the Clone Saga. The early 90's were still solid, including JMD's run. And the reason the Clone Saga and Byrne reboot sucked is because they tried to regress Spider-Man, which shows that regression and stagnation were the problem.

Also, I agree that Lowe is probably not the guy who is responsible for OMD still being in place.
    Which is why I tried to single Amazing out over other Spider-Man books.
    The early 90's were actually really good. Outside of Peter's Parents being androids, there's a lot of good stories and heart in during that time.
    I'll also argue that the Clone Saga isn't terrible, it's bloated and reeks of editorial interference, but it's the first time that editorial interference truly hurt the book.
    I'll even go so far as to say some of the post Clone Wars stuff isn't that bad. I have a lot of Nostalgia for Spider-Hunt as it's the first comic I remember reading. I haven't touched it in 20 odd years, but it's something I would love to go back to.

But the era between 96-01 isn't really as well regarded. It's a forgotten era for Spider-Man outside the fact the reboot exists and Bryne's Chapter One.
    That being said, some of the best things in Spider-Man were starting to happen outside Amazing and I'll say the era from 01-07 was a great time to be a Spider-Man fan.
    Ultimate, JMS, Peter David, Paul Jenkins, Mark Millar... all great runs on the Character. I wish we had that kind of powerhouse today where we have Slott and Wells. And I don't think either of them are doing a terrible job, they are just doing assignment work. We've seen them both do great work before, I just think that Spider-Man is a character that management could be a little hands off with.

If we're talking synergy, the movies just had Peter OMIT his MJ away and swing away a throbbing bachelor. Synergy, galore!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    If we're talking synergy, the movies just had Peter OMIT his MJ away and swing away a throbbing bachelor. Synergy, galore!
    There is no way they're getting rid of Zendaya.

Best case, they reunite by the fourth film. Worst case, they reunite in the fifth but it will be obvious by the fourth film that they're getting back together.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-24-2023 at 02:50 PM.

You have more faith in movie producers than I do.
    Also, Zendaya may want to move on. (I hope she doesn't.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    You have more faith in movie producers than I do.
    Also, Zendaya may want to move on. (I hope she doesn't.)
    It's not a matter of faith. Even if we think purely in corporatist cynical terms, there is zero rationale to discard one of the biggest stars right now. Definitely not for the BND idea of "Peter must date other women."

If Zendaya moves on, it will probably be whenever Holland moves on too. And at that point, I think they'll do something else with Spider-Man entirely (i.e. a pseudo-reboot or they'll bring in Miles Morales).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-24-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Astonishing Member

I love how 15 years after OMD, Bendis and JMS are still the most influential Spider-Man writers of the 21st century.
    Dan Slott is up there. A lot of comics spun off of his run, a lot of concepts and characters he introduced have crossed over to other media.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I completely disagree that "the whole 1990s was a rough patch for Spider-Man".
    I said Amazing Spider-Man.

I would like to think "# 1000" as many others in this thread, but... I am not holding my breath. # 900 was just awful and nobody cared about it being major milestone. Not quite 1000, but still.

Astonishing Member

Best case, they reunite by the fourth film. Worst case, they reunite in the fifth but it will be obvious by the fourth film that they're getting back together.

Sony has already said they expect to bring back Watts, Holland and Zendaya.

Tom Rothman, head of Sony, also said he wants the whole gang back, including Zendaya.

And of course she's coming back. The story promises she will. She outright puts the promise into words:

MJ
    You better. If you don’t, I’m just
    gonna figure it out. I’ve done it
    before, I can do it again.

I think reading ASM has broken people's story senses LOL. The reason why OMD is such an unsatisfying story is because it, too, made a story promise: Peter and MJ will find a way to overcome Mephisto's magic and be together again. But of course, Marvel keeps that promise broken. That's why people will never really get over OMD - it's an incomplete story and the third act has yet to be written.

The MCU won't make the same mistake. They are far too genre-savvy and trope-savvy.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 02-24-2023 at 03:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post

Sony has already said they expect to bring back Watts, Holland and Zendaya.

Tom Rothman, head of Sony, also said he wants the whole gang back, including Zendaya.

And of course she's coming back. The story promises she will. She outright puts the promise into words:

MJ
    You better. If you don’t, I’m just
    gonna figure it out. I’ve done it
    before, I can do it again.

I think reading ASM has broken people's story senses LOL. The reason why OMD is such an unsatisfying story is because it, too, made a story promise: Peter and MJ will find a way to overcome Mephisto's magic and be together again. But of course, Marvel keeps that promise broken. That's why people will never really get over OMD - it's an incomplete story and the third act has yet to be written.

The MCU won't make the same mistake. They are far too genre-savvy and trope-savvy.
    This.

Also, for all of MCU Spider-Man's flaws, neither Feige nor Sony seem to be pro-OMD. Both clearly have no problem with an older Spider-Man or with MJ being in the picture.

It seems like only Marvel Editorial has a dog in that fight. That's how you get ridiculous company contradictions like Marvel Entertainment putting out a Valentine Day's video of Peter and MJ while the Wells run is going on.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-24-2023 at 03:45 PM.

unless MCU is planning on doing a complete reboot in the near future they will age up Peter Parker character and when they are done he will be transition out
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

I said Amazing Spider-Man.
    Ah ok, I was thinking of Spider-Man comics as a collective. Yeah I think a big part of that is the constant crossovers that started to take place in much of that decade and needed collaboration with other authors. ASM couldn't just exist and breathe on its own since the story was being told in 3 other titles. And I guess I agree a bit. I found the Spectacular more appealing than ASM for much of that decade, for example. Though I did enjoy ASM under DeMatteis and DeFalco even though it was short lived.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I asked a professional.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.