Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It all feels so... un-epic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I can't stand Silk. My least favourite comic book character ever. Silk sucks.
    She is the reason I am skipping this story. Really getting angry at Marvel over their treatment of Peter. He is “supposed” to be their “Flagship Character”? Yet they treat him like slightly better then Ben Reilly and worse then Cindy Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    She is the reason I am skipping this story. Really getting angry at Marvel over their treatment of Peter. He is “supposed” to be their “Flagship Character”? Yet they treat him like slightly better then Ben Reilly and worse then Cindy Moon.
    only flagship in terms of sales not in universe
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    only flagship in terms of sales not in universe
    And popularity with the fans. I mean, remember when after Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman, Marvel tried to promote Iron Man as their new flagship hero, based on his popularity in the films? Not to mention, even if Spider-Man's not held in as high esteem in-universe as others, a number of time travelers and future-set stories reference him as the greatest hero of his era. It also says a lot of the ethos of Marvel compared to DC, at least classically, that the real heroes aren't necessarily the ones who get all the praise and accolades, but the ones who buckle down and do right even when they have nothing to gain personally or, worse, it personally costs them to do the right thing. That's what Spider-Man at his best (which I'll admit he hasn't been in years) represents, and that's why he's endured for so long, even with the mismanagement of the current editorial regime at Marvel.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 03-02-2023 at 03:40 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

So what's the big deal about?... (from Reddit, I don't really use Twitter)
    71qmtslj78la1.jpg
    eufiltlj78la1.jpg

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    So what's the big deal about?... (from Reddit, I don't really use Twitter)
    71qmtslj78la1.jpg
    eufiltlj78la1.jpg
    Shock if I know.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Shock if I know.
    I will read the reviews here. If it is good I will buy. if Cindy is treated like Wonder Woman and Peter like Ben Reilly:,Absolutely not

"Stops nobody" is standard job description for Marvel editors anyway.

Considering how this issue went, not very hopeful about my liking the next one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    "Stops nobody" is standard job description for Marvel editors anyway.

Considering how this issue went, not very hopeful about my liking the next one.
    Unless their name is Nick Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Wouldn’t really call the last 2 Spider-Verse victories DEMs considering with those, there was at least a plan that the Spiders pulled off and the plot went towards that.
    Maybe deus ex machina wasn't the right way to put it -rather whatever you would call a pattern of "villains are absolutely invincible for 90% of the arc, until late in the story when they become very vincible". Not uncommon to storytelling but how it plays out makes it feel... unearned, I guess?

Though if that rationale of how she everything played out the same without Peter is the answer, that just goes into another ripple effect of that if she was in the place of Peter than it would be impossible for them to play out the same due to key contributions that she made after coming out of the bunker.
    Morlun has been such a jobber lately that the bunker seems unnecessary.

Unless their name is Nick Spencer.
    Ain't that the truth.

I will read the reviews here. If it is good I will buy. if Cindy is treated like Wonder Woman and Peter like Ben Reilly:,Absolutely not
    Wouldn’t say she’s treated like Wonder Woman considering that the only reason her plan doesn’t get them killed is total dumb luck with a Deus ex Machina though apparently she’s the actual chosen one out of nowhere. Also Peter is basically used as a mouthpiece to endorse Sun Spider who hasn’t shown being remotely interesting as someone to have been part of the core team in this event. Really the only alternate spiders who actually did anything helpful beyond standing around were Felecia and Kraven. This team was not worth sacrificing fan favorites for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, this reminds me of how way back in Spider-Island, Slott had Mary Jane tell Peter, near the climax, that being Peter Parker was what made him special, not being Spider-Man. For one, his rewoven history sans spider-powers had him risk his own life and get a permanent injury against the burglar that would have killed Uncle Ben in his original history (and nearly killed Aunt May in this one), which earned him Flash Thompson's respect, admiration, and friendship --- as well as an in with Midtown High's inner circle of popular kids. Furthermore, even if Cindy Moon/Silk did take his place as the resident Spider-Hero of the MU, the rewoven history still established him as the brains behind (much of) her heroics, as he was still smart enough to come up with (auxiliary) web-shooters, the anti-magnetic inverter that beat the Vulture, and a radio communicator specifically attuned to the frequency of her "silk-sense" --- all things he invented and built in the original timeline after he became Spider-Man. In a nutshell, even if Peter Parker had never become Spider-Man, that inner core of who he was and who he grew into would still be there, although it would doubtlessly manifest differently, as it did here. All that being said, we've still got one more issue to go for the End of the Spider-Verse to go, so there's a great deal of likelihood that Peter will (have to) bond with that shred of the Web of Life and Destiny teleported to him by Spider-Norman and reclaim the mantle of Spider-Man.
    Well, I interpret that as Peter is the hero, not the powers. Which should mean that just giving someone else his powers doesn't mean they'd be able to replace them. Peter becomes a random tech guy, ok, but beyond that, they've effectively rendered his entire career meaningless.

Slott's always been a bad writer but holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Well, I interpret that as Peter is the hero, not the powers. Which should mean that just giving someone else his powers doesn't mean they'd be able to replace them. Peter becomes a random tech guy, ok, but beyond that, they've effectively rendered his entire career meaningless.

Slott's always been a bad writer but holy shit.
    It’s especially jarring when that had been the key takeaway from both Spider-Island and Superior. That not just anyone can be the hero that Peter is hence why he can’t just be replaced regardless of if a city’s worth of people have his powers or even if his body is taken over by another.

It’s especially jarring when that had been the key takeaway from both Spider-Island and Superior. That not just anyone can be the hero that Peter is hence why he can’t just be replaced regardless of if a city’s worth of people have his powers or even if his body is taken over by another.
    Silk still needed Peter Parker. Peter Parker never needed SIlk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Silk still needed Peter Parker. Peter Parker never needed SIlk.
    I feel like that needs emphasis more in this story, but I don't see Slott doing that. He's always had a bad habit of undermining Peter.