Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Amazing Member

On the plus side, this moves Peter away from all the mystical crap that was a bad fit for him anyway. He's not some chosen one that was foretold in prophecies eons old or something, let Silk have all that baggage. This could be the start of getting Peter back to resembling what should be at the core of the character: An everyman trying to balance a normal life with crazy powers while trying to do good to make up for a mistake he made.

I doubt they do anything permanent about all these superfluous Spider-characters that take the uniqueness away from the original, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    No, it's not. It can lead you to meet your mom when she was your age and make her fall in love with you.
    Yeah - Marty McFly nearly erased himself because of that!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    To be fair...that is pretty in character for modern comics Peter sadly....
    I mean, it's been Slotts' thing since Superior honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    On the plus side, this moves Peter away from all the mystical crap that was a bad fit for him anyway. He's not some chosen one that was foretold in prophecies eons old or something, let Silk have all that baggage. This could be the start of getting Peter back to resembling what should be at the core of the character: An everyman trying to balance a normal life with crazy powers while trying to do good to make up for a mistake he made.

I doubt they do anything permanent about all these superfluous Spider-characters that take the uniqueness away from the original, though.
    I think it would be less of an issue had there not been such a trend of undermining or downplaying Peter as a result, routinely because of all these other Spider-Characters and Spider-Verse stories.

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post

Except it doesn’t do that at all. The entire chosen one thing had been a product of this story. The reason he was deemed the chosen one back in the original story was because he was the only one who fought an Inheritor and won, not some kind of prophecy. It had been his actions and not anything destined. And even if they did read it wrong here, Peter is still a totem and as such has that connection to everything that comes with it even if Cindy is deemed the chosen one. Though even then, Peter is still all those things you mentioned. Being a totem never changed that. It just bothers me how much Peter is just disregarded in this event simply for the sake of shock value especially since the one task they did give him in this changed 616 seems to have been rendered superfluous by Cindy getting a lucky shot on Morlun leading to them restoring the Great Web another way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Except it doesn’t do that at all. The entire chosen one thing had been a product of this story. The reason he was deemed the chosen one back in the original story was because he was the only one who fought an Inheritor and won, not some kind of prophecy. It had been his actions and not anything destined. And even if they did read it wrong here, Peter is still a totem and as such has that connection to everything that comes with it even if Cindy is deemed the chosen one. Though even then, Peter is still all those things you mentioned. Being a totem never changed that. It just bothers me how much Peter is just disregarded in this event simply for the sake of shock value especially since the one task they did give him in this changed 616 seems to have been rendered superfluous by Cindy getting a lucky shot on Morlun leading to them restoring the Great Web another way.
    Exactly. Now we have a story that states that if Peter had never been Spider-Man, it wouldn't matter because Cindy could just do whatever he did AND Uncle Ben would still be alive. Not only that, he isn't even needed to save the day in THIS story. The whole story is basically a thesis on how Peter isn't special or important at all and that everything he's done could have easily been done by somebody else. Imagine rendering everything your protagonist has ever done as utterly meaningless like Slott has just done.

Nothing Peter did matters at all. If he'd never been born, nothing would change. What an insulting, preposterous story.

Can someone please do me the kindness of telling me what was even the point of all this? I mean it's not even the end of the Spiders but just another f'ing reset that will probably lead to another yet another damn Spider-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Can someone please do me the kindness of telling me what was even the point of all this? I mean it's not even the end of the Spiders but just another f'ing reset that will probably lead to another yet another damn Spider-verse.
    annual spider-verse thing to do
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I found the whole thing with the dagger to be a total deus ex machina. The situation dropped further and further into hopelessness with each issue and now there's a sudden cop-out to quickly wrap up (that's three times out of three Spider-Verse events, I guess).
    The stuff with Peter not mattering is also annoying, but headcanon says it's simply the Web of Life refusing to snap/having some ontological inertia stuff going on while Shathra is messing with it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Exactly. Now we have a story that states that if Peter had never been Spider-Man, it wouldn't matter because Cindy could just do whatever he did AND Uncle Ben would still be alive. Not only that, he isn't even needed to save the day in THIS story. The whole story is basically a thesis on how Peter isn't special or important at all and that everything he's done could have easily been done by somebody else. Imagine rendering everything your protagonist has ever done as utterly meaningless like Slott has just done.

Nothing Peter did matters at all. If he'd never been born, nothing would change. What an insulting, preposterous story.
    Funny enough, this reminds me of how way back in Spider-Island, Slott had Mary Jane tell Peter, near the climax, that being Peter Parker was what made him special, not being Spider-Man. For one, his rewoven history sans spider-powers had him risk his own life and get a permanent injury against the burglar that would have killed Uncle Ben in his original history (and nearly killed Aunt May in this one), which earned him Flash Thompson's respect, admiration, and friendship --- as well as an in with Midtown High's inner circle of popular kids. Furthermore, even if Cindy Moon/Silk did take his place as the resident Spider-Hero of the MU, the rewoven history still established him as the brains behind (much of) her heroics, as he was still smart enough to come up with (auxiliary) web-shooters, the anti-magnetic inverter that beat the Vulture, and a radio communicator specifically attuned to the frequency of her "silk-sense" --- all things he invented and built in the original timeline after he became Spider-Man. In a nutshell, even if Peter Parker had never become Spider-Man, that inner core of who he was and who he grew into would still be there, although it would doubtlessly manifest differently, as it did here. All that being said, we've still got one more issue to go for the End of the Spider-Verse to go, so there's a great deal of likelihood that Peter will (have to) bond with that shred of the Web of Life and Destiny teleported to him by Spider-Norman and reclaim the mantle of Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I found the whole thing with the dagger to be a total deus ex machina. The situation dropped further and further into hopelessness with each issue and now there's a sudden cop-out to quickly wrap up (that's three times out of three Spider-Verse events, I guess).
    The stuff with Peter not mattering is also annoying, but headcanon says it's simply the Web of Life refusing to snap/having some ontological inertia stuff going on while Shathra is messing with it.
    Wouldn’t really call the last 2 Spider-Verse victories DEMs considering with those, there was at least a plan that the Spiders pulled off and the plot went towards that. This on the other hand was just flat out an asspull that nothing in the story even hinted at. Now had the story essentially revealed that there was another champion a la the original Star Wars trilogy with Leia it’d be one thing that could also be rationalized by how she and Peter are tied by the spider bite. But no, it’s a matter that they were mistaken in who was actually the chosen one.

Though if that rationale of how she everything played out the same without Peter is the answer, that just goes into another ripple effect of that if she was in the place of Peter than it would be impossible for them to play out the same due to key contributions that she made after coming out of the bunker.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Slott manages to make Peter's existence even more pointless and superfluous to build up Silk in this issue. Slott's version of Peter literally has no reason to exist since Cindy can replace him and accomplish everything he did and more. Just ridiculous.
    I can't stand Silk. My least favourite comic book character ever. Silk sucks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why am I not surprised?
    Ditto. Silk is a terrible character.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'm fine with Silk, she's just far better the farther away she is from Spider-Man/Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I like Silk, I just hate the way that Slott handled this plot point. It quite literally came out of left field especially when Cindy being the Bride hasn’t even been mentioned since the first Spider-Verse yet supposedly she’s essentially the most important totem.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I like Silk, I just hate the way that Slott handled this plot point. It quite literally came out of left field especially when Cindy being the Bride hasn’t even been mentioned since the first Spider-Verse yet supposedly she’s essentially the most important totem.
    Yeah i'd say Slott's Silk is pretty bad. He kind of has the same issue Geoff Johns' characterization of Jason Todd in "Three Jokers" had. Cindy is a character who's been adopted and given characterization by other writers these past 8 years and you really see none of this incorporated in this book because Slott is writing as if he's picking up where he left off way back in 2014 lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.