Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Didn't some of the Spidey books in the 2000's have a mature (or whatever the comic equivalent of PG-13 is at least) label on them?

I don't think there needs to be an "R" rated Spidey movie, but depending on the needs of the story, I am not against the idea either. And the quality of Spider-man writing certainly doesn't benefit from being made accessible to toddlers. (Looking at you, God awful cgi "Spidey and his Amazing Friends" Disney Jr. series.)
    PG-13 is fine. I'm okay with comics and movies going as far as No Way Home did.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think "R-rated superheroes" only really work in a deconstructive context, poking at and magnifying the flaws, failings, and contradictions of the genre --- often to show that in "real life," superheroes would have a more negative than positive impact on humanity and society at large, especially juxtaposed with an overall negative view of human beings. Ultimately, though, as much as the superhero genre can be and is flawed, it still works, at least to me, as an aspirational guide for how to use power, ideally, for the good of other people and the betterment of society, not merely for the sake of self-gratification. Hell, Spider-Man is more-or-less a perfect example of that; he tried to use his power for his own benefit, let it go to his head, and it cost him the life of one of the few people in his life that loved and supported him wholeheartedly, so he dedicated himself instead to serving and protecting others as a means to atone for what his previous irresponsibility with that power had (however indirectly) wrought.
    Well, like romance, you should only use basic ideas of the message, but understand that the world is slightly more complex than that, otherwise you may do criminal shit lol.

Anyways, we need an R rated Spidey movie/game so he can be a hardcore character who does edgy shit like pirating comic books.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, like romance, you should only use basic ideas of the message, but understand that the world is slightly more complex than that, otherwise you may do criminal shit lol.

Anyways, we need an R rated Spidey movie/game so he can be a hardcore character who does edgy shit like pirating comic books.
    Ha, good one. Otherwise, yeah, you raise a good point. And technically, "R-rated Spider-Man" would be more like Deadpool, at least the movie version played by Ryan Reynolds. Hell, the comics sometimes play with that perception of Deadpool as "Ninja Spider-Man with swords who kills people and swears and breaks the Fourth Wall," at least for laughs.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

“Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I don't see the need for an R-rated Spider-Man. If anything, "No Way Home" was even more PG than the Soney Spider-Man, as he went to extraordinary lengths to save even his villains, whereas Soney Spider-Man was almost casual about killing Electro. And while he wasn't generally casual about killing, he certainly wasn't the sort to go to extraordinary lengths to save villains. "No Way Home" has possibly the most old-school noble portrayal of a superhero ever, and it worked completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Thats a funny way if saying for kids and pg, theres a reason most anti heroes like Wolverine, Deadpool and Venom gave to be toned down to accmadated a story with Spider-Man in it.
    Antiheroes like those three get toned down because Marvel usually wants to sell their products to a wider audience. None of the X-Men shows had Wolverine stabbing or maiming organics with his claws and Spider-Man wasn't a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Ha, good one.
    Thanks.

Otherwise, yeah, you raise a good point. And technically, "R-rated Spider-Man" would be more like Deadpool, at least the movie version played by Ryan Reynolds. Hell, the comics sometimes play with that perception of Deadpool as "Ninja Spider-Man with swords who kills people and swears and breaks the Fourth Wall," at least for laughs.
    Not necessarily, it just means that we can have more sex and violence, so say, Venom eating brains, Carnage living up to his name, Billy Connors getting Zeb Welled, it just means it's a Spidey story that can have higher level of violence, and maybe we can see glimpses of Spidey fucking MJ or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

And the quality of Spider-man writing certainly doesn't benefit from being made accessible to toddlers. (Looking at you, God awful cgi "Spidey and his Amazing Friends" Disney Jr. series.)
    Quality writing for small children is its own thing. There are rare examples of things that are quality writing for both small children and adults but they're rare. (I have no opinion either way on Spidey and his Amazing Friends.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Thanks.

Not necessarily, it just means that we can have more sex and violence, so say, Venom eating brains, Carnage living up to his name, Billy Connors getting Zeb Welled, it just means it's a Spidey story that can have higher level of violence, and maybe we can see glimpses of Spidey fucking MJ or whatever.
    Oh, you mean like back in the early days of the marriage where even though they couldn't explicitly show anything due to the Comics Code Authority, it was very clear that Peter and MJ were very passionate about each other? Yeah, I could see that. As for Carnage living up to his name . . . I'm still rather amused that 90s TAS had him empowered by Dormammu to drain people of their lifeforce so they wouldn't have to show him gruesomely murdering people. At least Kasady was still a sadistic monster even before getting the symbiote, with Robbie even claiming, "He's done things even the [presumably New York] Post wouldn't print!" That said, you're very welcome.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Quality writing for small children is its own thing. There are rare examples of things that are quality writing for both small children and adults but they're rare. (I have no opinion either way on Spidey and his Amazing Friends.)
    Come back here after you've binged 20 episodes in row.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Come back here after you've binged 20 episodes in row.
    I have binge watched my share of tv aimed at toddlers.
    (Thank Lord Reith for CBeebies.

Squirrels: How can we undo Wells' run?
    Narrator: Duggie can help. He's got his Getting Peter and MJ Back Together badge!
    Duggie: Ah woof.)
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 02-28-2023 at 03:45 AM.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi