Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default New 52 Justice League, is it any good?

I've read a few of the issues here and there and they were decent, but I was wondering about the series as a whole so far.

I was thinking of picking up some hardcovers now that Forever Evil is out. So I guess I'm asking for opinions if the series is worth it or not. Thanks!

In my opinion, absolutely. I love it right from Origin all the way up to Injustice coming out now (in singles). I dug Trinity War and really enjoyed Forever Evil (despite it being marred by obscene delays).

However, I don't think I'm the majority on that.

Personally I didnt enjoy the first arc apart from the art, I was very annoyed about some story elements early on so I dropped the book and wished i could wipe the memories from my mind.

Time passed, and comments in these forums indicated quite heavily that things had improved quite a bit during the second year, when a crossover with Aquaman's book was taking place; but I didn't feel the urge to check that out. Afterwards Trinity War came along, and it crossed over with all the Justice League books; of which I was only reading Dark at the time and it annoyed me to no end yet again making me skip the issues involved.

But then, it was revealed that the Crime Sndicate was going to be the main focus of Forever Evil, and since Im a sucker for alternate universes I got reeled right back in; and I was pleasantly surprised finding myself quite enjoying the main event and the main JL book that tied into it. So I decided to keep on reading afterwards, and Im liking what has come after FE so far; Luthor brings and interesting dynamic to a otherwise standard fare superhero book and thats good enough for me to keep up with until the current state of affairs runs its course, which I guess will happen with the big event thats been hinted at coming during the spring of next year.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the book has been alot better since Forever Evil started. The Crime Syndicate stories were great and so was the Cyborg spotlight issue with the Metal Men. I have really been enjoying the book since with Luthor, Captain Cold, and Shazam being part of the cast too.

BANNED

yeah it's good. i've enjoyed it from the beginning.

I think its one of the most consistently best written titles of the New 52.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Personally I didnt enjoy the first arc apart from the art, I was very annoyed about some story elements early on so I dropped the book and wished i could wipe the memories from my mind.

Time passed, and comments in these forums indicated quite heavily that things had improved quite a bit during the second year, when a crossover with Aquaman's book was taking place; but I didn't feel the urge to check that out. Afterwards Trinity War came along, and it crossed over with all the Justice League books; of which I was only reading Dark at the time and it annoyed me to no end yet again making me skip the issues involved.

But then, it was revealed that the Crime Sndicate was going to be the main focus of Forever Evil, and since Im a sucker for alternate universes I got reeled right back in; and I was pleasantly surprised finding myself quite enjoying the main event and the main JL book that tied into it. So I decided to keep on reading afterwards, and Im liking what has come after FE so far; Luthor brings and interesting dynamic to a otherwise standard fare superhero book and thats good enough for me to keep up with until the current state of affairs runs its course, which I guess will happen with the big event thats been hinted at coming during the spring of next year.
    These are my EXACT same thoughts on JL. I guess great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebiggins View Post
    These are my EXACT same thoughts on JL. I guess great minds think alike.
    *Internet fist bump*

Always cool to meet like minded folks

Amazing Member

Forever Evil tie-ins it's the way to start, before that I found it kinda meh.

Start with Throne of Atlantis. Wasn't a fan of the first two arcs.

I'm in the minority I guess (what a surprise) . . . I normally love superhero groups, but I bought and read the first twelve issues hoping it would get better, but it didn't.

I keep hoping Geoff Johns will leave that book and take up another assignment, but no such luck so far.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm in the minority I guess (what a surprise) . . . I normally love superhero groups, but I bought and read the first twelve issues hoping it would get better, but it didn't.

I keep hoping Geoff Johns will leave that book and take up another assignment, but no such luck so far.
    So do I, but it's gonna take a while; Johns is the highest profile writer for DC, JL is the highest profile title. Johns has also been trying to be the guy who sets the tone for adaptations for a few years now (which is sort of part of his job as CCO), and there is a JL movie coming out. So, at least untill, I"d say, a year or two after that movie is out, I'd say Johns is there,

The book did improve after it's first year, though. But not enough for me to actually think it's good; average stuff, and it bothers me conceptually (in the sense that I don't like to see the JL acting as rookies).

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    . . . and it bothers me conceptually (in the sense that I don't like to see the JL acting as rookies).
    For a story about the origin of the Justice League set when the heroes were still early in their new careers, you can get away with them acting like rookies. But once they all have more experience, it doesn't make any sense and becomes almost offensive.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It has been a great book, especially since the Throne of Atlantis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I have enjoyed the book, for the most part, but I think something is keeping this title from being great.