Justice League has been my favorite book since the new 52 began. All the story arcs have been great with the second one Villains Journey being the weakest. I don't have any problems with characterizations, but I know everyone is different. If you are not into tie ins though you cold skip the Forever Evil tie in issues and just read Forever Evil before moving on to the Injustice arc. The ties were cool as they showed the origins of the syndicate, but if you don't want to spend the extra money then you will be fine without out it.

Also be aware that if you are buying graphic novels you will probably have to buy some monthly issues or miss some before the Trinity War graphic novels are kind of set up weird. DC lists the 2 graphic novels following Throne of Atlantis as Justice League Trinity War and Justice League vol 4 the grid, but both are the same thing more or less. Justice League Trinity war costs a bit more and collects FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2012, TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA 1-3, TRINITY OF SIN: PHANTOM STRANGER 11, JUSTICE LEAGUE 22-23, JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK 22-23, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 6-7 and CONSTANTINE 5. Basically the main chapters from the 3 Justice League books and the tie ins. Vol 4 The Grid collects JUSTICE LEAGUE #18-20, 22-23. So if you buy Trinity War you get the whole Trinity War story but miss out on issues 18-20. If you buy The Grid you miss out on the Justice League of America and Justice League Dark chapters for Trinity War. So if you can or don't mind digital I would suggest you buy the missing issues in digital if you don't want to track down the physical issues.