Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Justice League has been my favorite book since the new 52 began. All the story arcs have been great with the second one Villains Journey being the weakest. I don't have any problems with characterizations, but I know everyone is different. If you are not into tie ins though you cold skip the Forever Evil tie in issues and just read Forever Evil before moving on to the Injustice arc. The ties were cool as they showed the origins of the syndicate, but if you don't want to spend the extra money then you will be fine without out it.

Also be aware that if you are buying graphic novels you will probably have to buy some monthly issues or miss some before the Trinity War graphic novels are kind of set up weird. DC lists the 2 graphic novels following Throne of Atlantis as Justice League Trinity War and Justice League vol 4 the grid, but both are the same thing more or less. Justice League Trinity war costs a bit more and collects FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2012, TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA 1-3, TRINITY OF SIN: PHANTOM STRANGER 11, JUSTICE LEAGUE 22-23, JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK 22-23, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 6-7 and CONSTANTINE 5. Basically the main chapters from the 3 Justice League books and the tie ins. Vol 4 The Grid collects JUSTICE LEAGUE #18-20, 22-23. So if you buy Trinity War you get the whole Trinity War story but miss out on issues 18-20. If you buy The Grid you miss out on the Justice League of America and Justice League Dark chapters for Trinity War. So if you can or don't mind digital I would suggest you buy the missing issues in digital if you don't want to track down the physical issues.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Everything starting from the 2nd year (especifically the Throne of Atlantis storyline) has been fantastic.

It's easily one of the best team books in terms of scale and worldbuilding.
    I agree completely and I think it just keeps getting better. The last two issues have been the most fun I've had reading comics in a long time.

Astonishing Member

Are the post-FE issues worth getting into? I'm interested in the whole Lex direction, but my main worry is that Johns will tread water for a year or so before reverting the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Are the post-FE issues worth getting into? I'm interested in the whole Lex direction, but my main worry is that Johns will tread water for a year or so before reverting the status quo.
    The arc that followed FE is mainly just getting to the how Lex managed to join the team. It also reintroduced the new Power Ring Jessica Cruz and the new Doom Patrol.
    If it took an entire arc for him to join, I think he'll stay for a while longer, LOL. That said, if JLA showed us anything is that plans change fast at DC.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That's what I see happening. I like the concept of Lex Luthor running things for our spandex wearing pals, but I'm sure johns won't go anywhere with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Definitely the Injustice League Arc is well written, and i doubt that with the whole march event looming and the amazo virus arc coming up

The first arc is good.
    The Graves arc would have been okay but when you factor in that this is the point where we jump to the present day yet all the characters still act like their 5 years earlier selves, it gets knocked down a bunch just for the pure negligence of it.
    Throne of Atlantis is great. Easily the best arc yet.
    From here until Injustice League the title is all Trinity War then Forever Evil tie-ins. I thought these were good but its totally dependent on whether you have any interest in the crossovers at all.
    The Injustice League was just okay. Has the potential to be really good considering the other plot threads going on, but Johns is doing a pretty terrible job at distributing the storytelling there, his focus is clearly on Lex and everything else is a far, far secondary priority.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-06-2014 at 06:37 PM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Start with Throne of Atlantis. Wasn't a fan of the first two arcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    First couple arcs were pretty dull, got much better with Throne of Atlantis and Forever Evil (Trinity of Sin wasn't that great though).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Everything starting from the 2nd year (especifically the Throne of Atlantis storyline) has been fantastic.
    qft

I'd recommend the first 2 arcs if you just like looking at pretty superhero art. Besides that, it starts actually getting good, writing-wise, w/ Throne of Atlantis.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

Astonishing Member

It bothers me that JL cannot break the top 10 while Harley Quinn has apparently done it for most of her 9 issue run, if not all 9 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It bothers me that JL cannot break the top 10 while Harley Quinn has apparently done it for most of her 9 issue run, if not all 9 issues.
    October 2011 = 1st - JUSTICE LEAGUE #2 - 180,709 copies
    2nd - BATMAN #2 - 172,428 copies

November 2011 = 1st - JUSTICE LEAGUE #3 - 158,700 copies
    2nd - BATMAN #3 - 150,984 copies

December 2011 = 1st - JUSTICE LEAGUE #4 - 142,248 copies
    2nd - BATMAN #4 - 133,781 copies

I didn't start with September 2011 because Justice League #1 came out at the end of August, and in August the New 52 hadn't quite started yet.

The first six issues of JL were the #1 book for the month they were published; by issue #7, it was down to #3 for the month, with the first two slots being Marvel Avengers vs X-Men books. April saw Batman go ahead of JL, but JL was still the number 3 title that month. Issue #9 was 4th in May, and it still remains strong.

By the way, Justice League #32 was the 7th best selling book in July 2014 while Harley's was tenth, so why are you saying "it bothers me that JL cannot break the top 10 while Harley Quinn has apparently done it for most of her 9 issue run"?