Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You made it further than I did, I just looked at the title and couldn't care enough to click play.
    Is that video that from that "Critical Drinker" idiot?

That guy has been raging against diversity and feminism for years now.

Honestly, I would just prefer if these guys just opened up about their bigotry instead of looking for "wokeness" which isn't a problem for Star Wars.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This^^^^^^

I don't think Andor is the greatest Star Wars story since ESB. It was good, but flawed
    Indeed, Andor was surprisingly amazing.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think enough SW fans saw Andor to ruin SW for them. At least not in the sense this author is implying. The interest just wasn't there. Andor was a nice departure but what held it back was the main character. It was very well executed and written but by the final eps-I was asking myself "What's the point?" This guy's dead right? The craftsmanship and writing that went into this show would've been better used on a living character. That being said I still prefer the Mandalorian.

Well, the "B" plot of the show is pretty much setting up Mon Mothma's leadership of the Alliance.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I thought all the Mon Mothma's family drama boring. I know those deep into Star Wars mythology were excited by this. But it was another reason the show was several episodes too long. As I said, good but flawed and in no way a new gold standard all other Star Wars will be judged.
    And as CliffHanger said, the whole, he is going to die in Rogue One thing was problematic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    No, that was JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson
    Now, now. Lucas beat them to it with the prequels and "special editions".
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now, now. Lucas beat them to it with the prequels and "special editions".
    Lol, we could do a poll, "What is Star Wars Biggest sin?"
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I ADORE the prequels, I think without those films and TCW, Star Wars would have died a long time ago and almost nobody would be talking about Star Wars today.
    Don't get me wrong, I also love the original trilogy, they are perfect movies but it's what Lucas brought to the Star Wars universe in the prequels that allowed it to live on for so long.
    But well, that's just my opinion and I know you will never change yours on this subject so....

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    And that's another unsurprising example of how amateur youtube review videos almost always suck. I'd heard more than enough of that monotone trying-too-hard-to-be-clever drivel by the time I got to him calling Kathleen Kennedy a "diversity hire" before giving up.
    That's further than I got.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    I ADORE the prequels, I think without those films and TCW, Star Wars would have died a long time ago and almost nobody would be talking about Star Wars today.
    Don't get me wrong, I also love the original trilogy, they are perfect movies but it's what Lucas brought to the Star Wars universe in the prequels that allowed it to live on for so long.
    But well, that's just my opinion and I know you will never change yours on this subject so....
    I think my biggest hang up with the prequels is the too perfect connections between everything. Darth Vader built C-3PO as a kid? Really? And 30 years later he just so happens to end up in his son's hands? Really? And it's not like he's a custom model or anything. He's a factory model droid who you could buy at a store. Lucas tried too hard to connect things that didn't need connecting. It's a sign of someone who spent too much time in his own head. Ditto the clone wars being based around Bobba Fett. I think Lucas works best when he has a handler to rein in some of his worst ideas.
    Assassinate Putin!

I think my biggest hang up with the prequels is the too perfect connections between everything. Darth Vader built C-3PO as a kid? Really? And 30 years later he just so happens to end up in his son's hands? Really? And it's not like he's a custom model or anything. He's a factory model droid who you could buy at a store. Lucas tried too hard to connect things that didn't need connecting. It's a sign of someone who spent too much time in his own head. Ditto the clone wars being based around Bobba Fett. I think Lucas works best when he has a handler to rein in some of his worst ideas.
    I really don't have any problem with the things you mention, on the contrary I love it XD

Agreed.

Personally I think the Jango stuff worked. Who better to base an army off of, than a Mandalorian bounty hunter? And it gave us a little insight/background on Boba, which was needed at the time since the guy only had like, three lines in the original films.

But most of the other connections weren't really needed. The stuff with 3P0 and R2 especially.

As for whether Star Wars would still be a thing today if the prequels hadn't been made? The franchise survived for decades with only the original films (and the novels, games, etc, that followed) and was still considered one of the best and brightest IP in sci-fi. If the prequels hadn't happened I doubt that would have changed. But there's no doubt the franchise wouldn't be nearly as big as it is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

I don't think Star Wars is "ruined".... exactly. people obviously keep watching it.

but it was originally just three films. three pretty good genre films that take up less than 7 hours of time.

now that has now been expanded to hundreds of hours.

there's no way ALL of that material can be equally exciting, well-crafted, and satisfying for a general audience.

I don't love the Star Wars brand enough to keep consuming ALL of this stuff. and they just keep making more and more of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed.

Personally I think the Jango stuff worked. Who better to base an army off of, than a Mandalorian bounty hunter? And it gave us a little insight/background on Boba, which was needed at the time since the guy only had like, three lines in the original films.

But most of the other connections weren't really needed. The stuff with 3P0 and R2 especially.

As for whether Star Wars would still be a thing today if the prequels hadn't been made? The franchise survived for decades with only the original films (and the novels, games, etc, that followed) and was still considered one of the best and brightest IP in sci-fi. If the prequels hadn't happened I doubt that would have changed. But there's no doubt the franchise wouldn't be nearly as big as it is.

It probably would be. There's still many well-loved films from the 80s and 90s that have only recently gotten franchise revivals (Karate Kid, for example, Top gun).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth