Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Black Lightning Appreciation Thread 2023

Can't let this month go by without showing a bit more love and appreciation to the DC's first black superhero to headline his own series!

Welcome back to the appreciation of Black Lightning - Jefferson Pierce , as well as his family, friends and all adjacent/connected characters/support crew!

Link to the previous threads

Original Thread

Last edited by C_haos; 02-28-2023 at 10:32 PM.

Justice Like Lightning .

He hook up with Katana yet???

Astonishing Member

I was really into his 90s series until it's writer and Black Lightning co-creator, Tony Isabella was fired from the series. The art, in particular, had a very urban modern feel. Sadly, the artist quit as a protest to Isabella's firing. The book limped along until cancellation after that. BL had a great look in that series -- and I still like his original look. I think ever since DC made him bald -- he hasn't had a memorable look which hurts his appeal. Even that one above on BATO seems generic.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was really into his 90s series until it's writer and Black Lightning co-creator, Tony Isabella was fired from the series. The art, in particular, had a very urban modern feel. Sadly, the artist quit as a protest to Isabella's firing. The book limped along until cancellation after that. BL had a great look in that series -- and I still like his original look. I think ever since DC made him bald -- he hasn't had a memorable look which hurts his appeal. Even that one above on BATO seems generic.
    I still love the 70's series and the outfit. It's really awesome. Haven't read the Brick city stuff.

I’ve always liked Black Lightning.
    Year after year though, this character is always be JUST SHY of greatness. So frustrating sometimes.

I hope Gunn brings him back for the Gunnverse.

BL has been noticeably absent or not so involved in recent DC events.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’ve always liked Black Lightning.
    Year after year though, this character is always be JUST SHY of greatness. So frustrating sometimes.

I really enjoyed during Hill's Outsiders run. I hope he finds a home soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    I really enjoyed during Hill's Outsiders run. I hope he finds a home soon.
    ^^^Same and same.

Give him a solo book or, give him the team back. He can shine in either scenario, provided the books don’t get woked all to hell and back and instead provide some badass adventures, build up a rogues gallery, and are given a chance to build an audience.

Do NOT put him on the JLA. That is the original good ol’ boys club. Outside the Big Seven you’re never going to have a hero REALLY shine and or get built up during their tenure.

Ultimate Member

There is another Black Lightning project in the works with Chriscross art.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    He hook up with Katana yet???
    Never gonna happen. every heroine doesn't need to be a hero's girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Never gonna happen. every heroine doesn't need to be a hero's girlfriend.
    They were clearly building towards them in Outsiders. Nobody said every single heroine has to be someone. Chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There is another Black Lightning project in the works with Chriscross art.
    Got a link to it?

There are ways to explore a character besides romance. You could bring back her surrogate relationship with Halo or have her befriend other characters. Being bereft of romantic relationships isn't an issue except for those reading for shipping reasons.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-14-2023 at 11:57 AM.

He definitely pussied out and it probably had a lot to do with creator of Black Lightning cursing him out over Jefferson to dare have an interest in another woman aside from boring Lynn Stewart. Tony Isabella even went as far as to say F*ck everyone on creative and had a complete melt down over it. But It's fine for her to be in a romantic relationship with Geo-Force but her throwing herself at a brotha and desiring him is a big no-no because no male black heroes are allowed to be desired. Had it been Bruce Wayne or Oliver Queen nothing would be made of it. She'd just be another notch under their belts with bo resistance. Jefferson and Tatsu not only make a ton of sense and would be great for their development, but they have enormous chemistry. My two cents
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-14-2023 at 11:57 AM.