Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    He definitely pussied out and it probably had a lot to do with creator of Black Lightning cursing him out over Jefferson to dare have an interest in another woman aside from boring Lynn Stewart. Tony Isabella even went as far as to say F*ck everyone on creative and had a complete melt down over it. But It's fine for her to be in a romantic relationship with Geo-Force but her throwing herself at a brotha and desiring him is a big no-no because no male black heroes are allowed to be desired. Had it been Bruce Wayne or Oliver Queen nothing would be made of it. She'd just be another notch under their belts with bo resistance. Jefferson and Tatsu not only make a ton of sense and would be great for their development, but they have enormous chemistry. My two cents
    If you think Katana hitting on Bruce or Oliver, two guys with well known love interests wouldn't get any pushback, you don't quite know fandoms well.

To bring this back to Jefferson (and black men in general while we're at it), him being presented as desirable isn't a major priority. It's a nice aspect but it really is no big deal and there are far bigger issues when it comes to handling black characters.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-06-2023 at 12:45 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    He hook up with Katana yet???
    To me, Judd Winick's Thunder felt more like a parasite than an actual daughter to Black Lightning. Just someone's OC to age up Jefferson while milking off his cred. I did like the idea of Kingdom Come's Lightning waiting in the wings after a union with Jonni Thunder. Barring that, Katana seemed like a good match for him in the classic Outsiders run.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If you think Katana hitting on Bruce or Oliver, two guys with well known love interests wouldn't get any pushback, you don't quite know fandoms well.

To bring this back to Jefferson (and black men in general while we're at it), him being presented as desirable isn't a major priority. It's a nice aspect but it really is no big deal and there are far bigger issues when it comes to handling black characters.
    You seem to have an issue with me in regards to this topic. When did I ever say it's a 'major priority'? Never. I never said there are not bigger issues with his character. Focusing on one aspect of the character as it pertains to the conversation isn't me suggesting that's all there is to him. Superhero romances are something I and many other find interesting. And yes, if Tatsu slept with Bruce or Ollie the majority of fans wouldn't care because not that many fans care about Tatsu
    -especially in comparison to those two fan bases so the backlash would be minimal at best, if any at all, but I digress.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 03-06-2023 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    To me, Judd Winick's Thunder felt more like a parasite than an actual daughter to Black Lightning. Just someone's OC to age up Jefferson while milking off his cred. I did like the idea of Kingdom Come's Lightning waiting in the wings after a union with Jonni Thunder. Barring that, Katana seemed like a good match for him in the classic Outsiders run.

Definitely agreed 100% Tbh, I don't really care for Thunder and don't find her character interesting. The TV show's version completely turned me against her.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 03-06-2023 at 03:46 PM.

Ultimate Member

Yes we know these fandoms well.

While a few would have an issue or two with Katana and Bruce or Ollie.

It's 100 TIMES worst if it was Jefferson and Katana. With 95% of the toxic aimed at Jefferson.

Like Superman Cliff Ellis has gotten to the point his fans no longer post here.
    Like Synch has gotten.
    Like T'Challa has gotten and he got it WORST than anyone else with writers OPENLY hating him for stuff they claimed he did to Storm that NEVER happened.

ANd yes you are correct there are bigger issues to deal with as we got too many folks using the few black male characters as sounding boards for their agenda.

BL 4.jpgHopefully when the Justice League comes back he'll be part of the team i think his Daughters Thunder and Lightning would make better members of the Outsiders instead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    BL 4.jpgHopefully when the Justice League comes back he'll be part of the team i think his Daughters Thunder and Lightning would make better members of the Outsiders instead.
    I'd rather Jeff be childless, with Anissa and Jennifer in limbo so that the Titans' Thunder and Lightning get more exposure for Asian American representation.

Thunder_and_lightning_gan_and_tavis_willliams.JPG

I'd rather Jeff be childless, with Anissa and Jennifer in limbo so that the Titans' Thunder and Lightning get more exposure for Asian American representation.

Tony Isabella tried that but DC still brought them back. I thought it was the right move when he made them Jefferson's cousins in Dead Cold Hands. I agree with you. I'm no fan of either of the daughters tbh.

Putting Jeff's daughters in limbo is not going to get those two more exposure. DC had largely forgotten about them before Jennifer and Anika were created.

Superman and Batman are not popular because they were desirable among women in universe. In Superman's particular case, most people don't care for him with anyone else other than Lois and Bruce's love life is often considered less interesting compared to his relationships with his family and his dynamic with his villains. Ask any Batman fan and nine times out of ten, they'll say they either don't care about who he's dating or prefer him with Catwoman. These characters' appeal has little to do with their lovelives. At most, it's just something shoppers on the internet like to argue about.

If you want Jefferson to be treated well, that is what should be focused on. Not turning him into a glorified harem anime protagonist.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-14-2023 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yes we know these fandoms well.

It's 100 TIMES worst if it was Jefferson and Katana. With 95% of the toxic aimed at Jefferson.

Like Superman Cliff Ellis has gotten to the point his fans no longer post here.
    Like Synch has gotten.
    Like T'Challa has gotten and he got it WORST than anyone else with writers OPENLY hating him for stuff they claimed he did to Storm that NEVER happened.

ANd yes you are correct there are bigger issues to deal with as we got too many folks using the few black male characters as sounding boards for their agenda.
    Unless you are Wally West and Linda Park*, white and non-white pairing draw far more backlash than two characters of the same race or two minority characters of different races.

Comic fans don't care enough about Jeff and Tatsu to get mad at them hooking up. The only person that appears to have been mad about it was Tony Isabella who hates anything done with Jefferson that isn't by him.

Tatsu hooking up with Bruce and Oliver would have gotten infinitely more hate than if she'd slept with Jeff. Especially given what tends to be done with women of color that get involved with those two.

* Even then, I suspect Wally and Linda would get hate from the usual suspects if they were created today.

BANNED

Putting Jeff's daughters in limbo is not going to get those two more exposure. DC had largely forgotten about them before Jennifer and Anika were created.
    DC is full of characters who are unfamiliar to the general public or even comic readers, but some of whom get a resurgence. This can be said of Plastic Man when he reappeared in Morrison's League, or Fire who was created in 1979 but achieved greater fame in the late 80s. Taking out the Thunder and Lightning sisters would definitely provide more opportunity for the brothers.

Superman and Batman are not popular because they were desirable among women in universe. In Superman's particular case, most people don't care for him with anyone else other than Lois and Bruce's love life is often considered less interesting compared to his relationships with his family and his dynamic with his villains. Ask any Batman fan and nine times out of ten, they'll say they either don't care about who he's dating or prefer him with Catwoman. These characters' appeal has little to do with their lovelives. At most, it's just something shoppers on the internet like to argue about.

If you want Jefferson to be treated well, that is what should be focused on. Not turning him into a glorified harem anime protagonist.
    This is hardly Jefferson Muyo! we're talking about. Before Superman went steady with Lois, he had a number of potential female suitors. Batman obviously has a few memorable names like Selina Kyle, Vicki Vale, Silver St. Cloud, Talia, Nocturna, et cetera.

Unless you are Wally West and Linda Park*, white and non-white pairing draw far more backlash than two characters of the same race or two minority characters of different races.

Comic fans don't care enough about Jeff and Tatsu to get mad at them hooking up. The only person that appears to have been mad about it was Tony Isabella who hates anything done with Jefferson that isn't by him.

Tatsu hooking up with Bruce and Oliver would have gotten infinitely more hate than if she'd slept with Jeff. Especially given what tends to be done with women of color that get involved with those two.

* Even then, I suspect Wally and Linda would get hate from the usual suspects if they were created today.
    I think race has far less to do with it than tenure and the ladies who enjoy said tenure happening to be white. Ladies like Shondra Kinsolving (black) and Vesper Fairchild or Sasha Bordeaux (white) are unlikely to be as accepted as serious romances for Bruce Wayne compared to the previously mentioned ladies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Don't know I think pairing Ollie with any other Woman than Black Canary, will be pretty controversial at this point.

DC is full of characters who are unfamiliar to the general public or even comic readers, but some of whom get a resurgence. This can be said of Plastic Man when he reappeared in Morrison's League, or Fire who was created in 1979 but achieved greater fame in the late 80s. Taking out the Thunder and Lightning sisters would definitely provide more opportunity for the brothers.
    Plastic Man and Fire got their resurgence through appearances in popular books and consistent use afterwards. They didn't require putting other characters in limbo. Traditionally, doing such a thing has not resulted in a character gaining a resurgence (and the Vietnamese Thunder and Lightning weren't all that popular to begin with).

The only thing keeping the Vietnamese Thunder and Lightning brothers is DC's own lack of interest in them. Hell, the Pierce sisters have been in limbo for years and the Vietnamese characters have been seen nowhere in sight.

This is hardly Jefferson Muyo! we're talking about. Before Superman went steady with Lois, he had a number of potential female suitors. Batman obviously has a few memorable names like Selina Kyle, Vicki Vale, Silver St. Cloud, Talia, Nocturna, et cetera.
    Most people don't know or care about Superman's other suitors besides Lois Lane. The only one of Batman's other girlfriends besides Selina that is actually memorable is Talia (and often for the wrong reasons). Most fans don't care for Vicki or Silver and the former was considered the weakest part of the first Burton Batman film.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I do love me some Black Lightning. Loved the Outsiders back in the day, and the recent title wasn't half bad either!
    Jeff has always gotten the rough end of the pineapple though. His time in the Justice League was when the book was at one of it's lowest ebbs and mostly went unnoticed.
    I had no issue with he & Katana getting together. I thought it was very well handled and both characters were portrayed showing enormous respect for each other, making the relationship romantic seemed the logical next step.

I also pretty much loved the TV show, but would be very happy if the kids went away and the wife had an 'ex' in front of it.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.