Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

I think that a lot of writers fear, even if just subconsciously, that if they're not constantly hitting the hight-notes of the genre then people are going to lose interest, what, with all the talk of short attention spans, the crowded media environment, and the varied forms of competition that comic books have to compete with at their price points. This has led to a number of cracks in the foundations, I think, that are ultimately unhealthy in the long term. Spidey's supporting cast is absolutely doing better than some but even so, you know?

The big problem with this run is there was a screw-up somewhere in conveying the very important plot point that Peter and MJ want to be together, but can't because of circumstances. And when something that crucial is not properly conveyed, it drags everything down with it.

They screwed up with this run. And they're not going to fix it by doubling down on this stuff that they already screwed up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think that a lot of writers fear, even if just subconsciously, that if they're not constantly hitting the hight-notes of the genre then people are going to lose interest, what, with all the talk of short attention spans, the crowded media environment, and the varied forms of competition that comic books have to compete with at their price points. This has led to a number of cracks in the foundations, I think, that are ultimately unhealthy in the long term. Spidey's supporting cast is absolutely doing better than some but even so, you know?
    Hmm, you mean in the pull to do "big" stories, rather than "true to character stories," "additive stories", or more broadly, "good stories"?

Broadly it's hard to disagree, but I do think that when you're working in the quicksand of the 616, where an average run is lucky to introduce a few bells and whistles to canon, you want your shot at ASM to broadly "matter".

I mean, if as a writer you're not aiming at unseating JMS Spidey\Ewing's Hulk\Aaron's Thor, why not? At least give it a shot; better to fail spectacularly, than not try at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Hmm, you mean in the pull to do "big" stories, rather than "true to character stories," "additive stories", or more broadly, "good stories"?

Broadly it's hard to disagree, but I do think that when you're working in the quicksand of the 616, where an average run is lucky to introduce a few bells and whistles to canon, you want your shot at ASM to broadly "matter".

I mean, if as a writer you're not aiming at unseating JMS Spidey\Ewing's Hulk\Aaron's Thor, why not? At least give it a shot; better to fail spectacularly, than not try at all.
    When we talk about remembering spider-man stories and what we liked it's often these tentpole writers that you mention here(Though Simonsens Thor and PAD's Hulk instead =). What we miss are all of these satellite titles and runs inbetween where perhaps not much happened in the way of standout stories but they where overall pretty uniform in how they portrayed the characters or some of them used different supporting characters then others. Over time this created the spider-man world, who was rather cohesive and populated.

If everyone wants to aim big and reset then what we are left with a graph with high highs and low lows. Where over time much of the foundation starts eroding. If you want longterm investment from readers you also need to build for longterm.
    Last edited by Malachi; 03-13-2023 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post

Can't be that hard if you care more about continuity/characterization than Aaron's Thor did.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

I thought this was a pretty good start / set up to this story... Good to see Peter/MJ as a couple again even if it was only as a flashback. Enter a mysterious new/old villain, I was getting Morlun vibes at the beginning before 'scribble man' was revealed. Peter was not made to look stupid/no jokes at his expense/he wasn't saved by someone else (yet) and he laid the smackdown. Good cliff hanger (dark web vibes?)

What's up with the universally positive letters page? Do they not allow negative letters to be published anymore?

JRJR- I don't understand some readers complaining about his art. He has been 'Laterday-JRJR' for some time now. His Spider-Man peak probably being the JMS era, unless you prefer the 80's look. I will say Spidey's thigh's should not be almost the exact same thickness of MJ's on the cover... This seems to be a carryover from the period when JRJR was drawing Spidey with practically stick insect proportions, which itself was a reaction to him realising he was drawing him a little too muscle bound in the late 90's. Overall it's good to have him onboard... It gives the book an air of legitimacy and there is still epic feel to his art.

Too bad I can't read this story all in one go. It looks like all the big stuff is gonna go down in #25 & #26. #26 says something about being 'the most shocking issue ever' on the cover. So are they gonna kill MJ off? I hope not, it seems like an obvious outcome, but maybe because it would be shocking they can get away with hinting it's going to happen... It's not like it would lose any impact if we saw it coming. But this is sorta the rut ASM has been in since Dan Slott- relying on 'shocking events' instead of the book relying on good writing.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Mackie/Byrne already killed off Mary Jane in the late nineties, so it would have to be more shocking than that. Assuming that the hype is telling the truth. (What, hype exaggerating? Surely not.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

https://twitter.com/nick_lowe_/statu...987013120?s=20

To summarize most of the qrts and comments so far:

>Lowe makes snarky comment towards fans who are unhappy with ASM
    >Essentially admits he only cares about number sales
    >Ignores the fact that second printings don't make the books any less bad
    >Doesn't realize the fact that him having to talk about the series like this means that the bad press isn't as small of an issue as he'd like to believe
    >2nd printing is released like, months after instead of being closer to release which clearly must say something
    >Refuses to address any actual criticism
    >Makes himself look like an ass (though in his defense a lot of people have been an ass to him so I can't entirely fault him)
    >Leaves

Lol. Lmao. Rofl, even.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post

To summarize most of the qrts and comments so far:

>Essentially admits he only cares about number sales
    >Ignores the fact that second printings don't make the books any less bad
    >Doesn't realize the fact that him having to talk about the series like this means that the bad press isn't as small of an issue as he'd like to believe
    >2nd printing is released like, months after instead of being closer to release which clearly must say something
    >Refuses to address any actual criticism
    >Makes himself look like an ass (though in his defense a lot of people have been an ass to him so I can't entirely fault him)
    >Leaves

Lol. Lmao. Rofl, even.
    You got all that from that one short tweet?? Man, I'd love to read your write up of the Gettysburg Address

" >LOL, Lincoln doesn't even know how to say eighty-seven years.
    > Doesn't even acknowledge how much we hate his stupid hat.
    > Only ten sentences? James Buchanan would've written a longer speech than that.
    > Why doesn't he bring up any of the Confederacy's good points?
    > Makes himself look like an ass (though in his defense he is trying to end a civil war that has cost countless lives and is tearing the nation apart)
    > Leaves "

If your knock is that Nick Lowe didn't address any of your criticisms in his short tweet announcing second prints on sale, I don't think you get what his actual job is, or what degree of power folks here have over him.

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    You got all that from that one short tweet?? Man, I'd love to read your write up of the Gettysburg Address

" >LOL, Lincoln doesn't even know how to say eighty-seven years.
    > Doesn't even acknowledge how much we hate his stupid hat.
    > Only ten sentences? James Buchanan would've written a longer speech than that.
    > Why doesn't he bring up any of the Confederacy's good points?
    > Makes himself look like an ass (though in his defense he is trying to end a civil war that has cost countless lives and is tearing the nation apart)
    > Leaves "

If your knock is that Nick Lowe didn't address any of your criticisms in his short tweet announcing second prints on sale, I don't think you get what his actual job is, or what degree of power folks here have over him.
    I literally said I was summarizing the comments and quotes I saw.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Mackie/Byrne already killed off Mary Jane in the late nineties, so it would have to be more shocking than that. Assuming that the hype is telling the truth. (What, hype exaggerating? Surely not.)
    Not read those issues since they came out, from what I remember a passenger jet exploded (or did it go missing?) that MJ was supposed be aboard. Point is, we never saw her demise and neither Peter nor the audience believed she was dead. If Wells/JRJR kill her off in-panel that would be much more decisive. It would also be in incredibly bad taste and desperate. I hope the editorial/Wells will not sink that low.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I take it you didn't read the comments?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    That is embarrassing, but more importantly, it shows that he's hearing criticism to the level that he feels the need to comment on it. Honestly, I thought the bulk would be in weird little microcosms like this here forum, but apparently there's a larger voice than just us.

Yikes.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!