Niffleheim

Default Marvel Launches 20th Century Studios Imprint

The publisher plans to house Aliens, Predator and Planet of the Apes Comics under the new banner

Planet of the Apes writer is David F. Walker, artist David Wachter and cover artist Joshua Cassara

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235339668/
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

hopefully they can go deeper with the 20th Century Fox catalog for more properties to revive.
    X-Files.. other stuff?

Niffleheim

Independence Day is right there most of the books will be extraterrestrial centric
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hopefully they can go deeper with the 20th Century Fox catalog for more properties to revive.
    X-Files.. other stuff?
    What about a revival of Simpsons Comics? The original series from Bongo that ran since almost the start of the show's run ended a few years ago (the company now only maintains digital back issue availability), so it's up for grabs.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Good on them for finally labeling the imprint--it's a catchy headline.

My trepidation--if one can even call it that--is that these syphon creatives out of doing cape comics. Then again, if Marvel didn't hold the Star Wars license, folks like Gillen and Aaron would be doing Star Wars comics at Titan or Dark Horse or somewhere else.

Another worry is that Marvel is using that Disney muscle to monopolize the licensed comics market, which bodes poorly for end-product quality. Indies are struggling and shuttering (cough Aftershock cough), and DC has downsized to where Marvel probs doesn't have to worry about ever being #2 on the sales charts until at least 2025.

It ain't midnight yet, but those clouds gathering on the horizon are mighty dark, boys

This makes a lot of sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Good on them for finally labeling the imprint--it's a catchy headline.

My trepidation--if one can even call it that--is that these syphon creatives out of doing cape comics. Then again, if Marvel didn't hold the Star Wars license, folks like Gillen and Aaron would be doing Star Wars comics at Titan or Dark Horse or somewhere else.
    Not really. Look at the top creatives on the SW Dark Horse stuff (Truman, Blackman, Ostrander and JJM). These are good writers, but SW was not a draw for the cream of the industry. We only had guys like Aaron and Gillen on there because the higher ups at Marvel considered it a high priority project due to the purchase of LFL by Disney and the Sequel Trilogy and Disney's (aka Iger's) attempt at making SW into the next MCU. Once you got Paniccia as the editor on the SW books, it became clear SW was no longer a high priority project at Marvel. The High Republic stuff and the Story Group's increased involvement are probably all connected.

Again these projects are really dependent on the quality of writers/editorial staff invested there and whether the execs above them see it a "big thing" to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-04-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Scream Queens season 3, please? I doubt Disney would be willing to unleash the full power of Chanel Oberlin, but I'm dying for a continuation that doesn't completely suck, like season 2. I'd love to see a SQ book that channels some of the camp from Elvira's comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What about a revival of Simpsons Comics? The original series from Bongo that ran since almost the start of the show's run ended a few years ago (the company now only maintains digital back issue availability), so it's up for grabs.
    I loved Bongo. Maybe we can get Futurama comics in preparation for its re-re-re-revival.
    Last edited by Rift; 03-04-2023 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Yeah, Bongo used to do those too. They'd been publishing Simpsons, Futurama, and for some reason SpongeBob SquarePants (which is owned by Paramount, not 20th Century, Bongo was originally only meant to exist to do Matt Groening's stuff), but it all stopped about four years ago - the UK reprint of Simpsons Comics by Titan still exists, but it had to go all reprint as they ran out of new material during the pandemic - and I believe is less frequent now (the pandemic was probably originally to blame for that), they never say when the next issue is out any more and the quarterly triple packs (either two Simpsons and one Futurama or three Simpsons) they sold in WHSmith to get rid of leftover stock at half price are gone. If I remember it right, first they cancelled Bart Simpson, then Futurama Comics, then both Simpsons Comics and SpongeBob's comic vanished at the same time.

I know Marvel doesn't often do humour comics, but why outsource them? If they bring back the Simpsons and Futurama comics, they might as well be under Marvel's new 20th Century Studios imprint. I'm actually surprised Disney hasn't moved their other stuff to Marvel (from IDW).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-05-2023 at 06:28 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's great when they confine all the comics I'm not interested in to a specific section.