Extraordinary Member

Default Dynamite's Maleficent

March 2, Mt. Laurel, NJ: Dynamite is proud to announce a thrilling new title starring one of the crown jewels of the Disney Villains pantheon. The Mistress of Evil, the one and only Maleficent, invades the comic book page via multi-talented creator Soo Lee this coming May.

Maleficent first appeared in Walt Disney Animation Studios’ iconic 1959 film Sleeping Beauty. Maleficent has returned to screens in two blockbuster films and now Dynamite is pleased to reveal the debut of her first solo comic series.

Versatile creator Soo Lee (Carmilla: The First Vampire, DC/RWBY) is leading the charge on this all-new series, not only writing the story, but drawing it as well. Longtime fans will be excited to see her portrayal of one of Disney’s greatest evildoers, both visually and in channeling her voice. Queen of the Forbidden Mountain, Maleficent’s realm is shrouded in darkness and her soul is cold following a life of thwarting foolish adventurers after her powers. It’s only a matter of time until she will finally have enough, and descend upon the powerless people below, unleashing her horrible magics upon them.

“I think Maleficent is kind of an icon as a character herself,” said author and illustrator Soo Lee. “She is stylish, beautiful in her way and very powerful. Even though she’s a villain I really liked that she was a powerful woman. I mean, she transforms into a dragon! That’s pretty cool.”

This new story is meant to fit within the established character arc of Maleficent as depicted in the classic animated film, a sort of prequel peek into her past, set long before the events of Sleeping Beauty. The focus is on her as the main character of the story and her own life, not playing second fiddle to princesses and princes. Soo Lee, editor Nate Cosby, and the Disney team have worked together to deliver this stunning vision of villainy!

Lee is joined by a colorful cast of creatives in bringing this project together. She’s writing, drawing, and coloring her own tale, but is additionally joined by letterer Jeff Eckleberry. She also draws one of the covers for the book, perfectly complementing her interior art. Other covers on the series will be done by the legendary Jae Lee (Batman/Superman, Inhumans), Jennifer L. Meyer, Rebeca Puebla, and Erica D’Urso.

DISNEY VILLAINS: MALEFICENT #1 is solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors’ March 2023 Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in May 2023. Comic book fans are encouraged to preorder copies of the issue with their local comic book retailers. It will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Kindle, iBooks, Google Play, Dynamite Digital, ComicsPlus, and more!

That's really cool !

Whatever happened to the Ursula comic from a few years ago? I don't think it was ever released?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Whatever happened to the Ursula comic from a few years ago? I don't think it was ever released?
    Believe it was a covid casuality.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Curious to see how they approach this. Will it be jokey and bland, will it play fair, and straight and engaging, even compelling? A portrait of a genuinely malevolent force, and for what length of issues, enough to develop a real story and characterization, or merely episodes and one-dimensional? Curious, and mistrustful....
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Incredible Member

...very mistrustful. Maleficent wasn't helped at all by the live action films.

There was an Ursula book? Was it also from Dynamite?

Extraordinary Member

Dark Horse - it never actually came out.

Extraordinary Member

Disney Villains: Maleficent #1 Preview
    Writer: Soo Lee
    Artist: Soo Lee

Incredible Member

I was really surprised by the art in the first issue. I wonder what the sales are like for this series.

I've been very pleased with this series, so much so, I'm sorry to learn (if true) it's merely a limited series. Very well written, and beautifully illustrated.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I can't believe there's so little talk about this, as if people are shunning it for its Disney connection: BIG MISTAKE! This is a beautifully illustrated--beautifully illustrated--subtly and sparingly written series that holds back the melodrama, revealing Maleficent's detached malevolence in a look, and near-last page action, allowing drama to unfold through the artwork and reactions of those trespassing her realm. The only title I'm buying two issues of, and likely will also buy the trade, if there is one--yeah, I like it that much, even after (lord hep me) 40 years of comics reading/accumulating. Back issues are still pretty inexpensive if one chooses to go that way. And again, if one's into 'fantasy' titles, this is prime...

Extraordinary Member

Read the first few issues, the art is definitely the strength of the book, think it's safe to say it's one of the best looking books out there. As for the writing, it's fine? Might be my relative unfamiliarity with the character that is preventing some of the story beats from hitting more with me but in my opinion it's A+ art with B- writing.

Extraordinary Member

Expected, but disappointing, especially if #5 is as beautiful and entertaining as #s 1-4. If I knew how to reach Dynamite, I'd argue for a continuing series!