Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yeah, this preview is definitely not getting me excited about the next issue. Why do so many Marvel writers have such a low opinion of Gambit's skills and powers? Yeah, I'm sure they are both still powerless in this scene and Black Panther is a strong, very skilled fighter, and I know this is just the first bit of the fight, but I am just so over Gambit being a pushover and getting beat up all the time. The writers seem to have no problem with all the rest of the iconic and popular characters being uber competent and awesome most of the time that is for sure. Thank goodness for Claremont's Gambit series and especially his still going X-Treme X-Men series(loving that one so much so far). He and Kelly Thompson seem to be the only ones at Marvel right now that think Gambit has a brain and is at all capable in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I've noticed that how good a fighter Gambit is can sometimes depend on how the writer appears to view his powers. Some people seem to be of the opinion that Gambit's H2H fighting skills are a result of his enhanced agility and dexterity. I think that some others view his H2H abilities are more natural and learned from training. I go with the idea that his H2H and fighting skills are the result of training. This writer may feel differently.

This will likely be Sandmans_Raven's cue to point out that it has actually been explained on panel how much of Gambit's fighting skills are learned and how much come from his mutant agility.
    Definitely learned. Gambit did just fine during his stint without powers in X-Treme X-Men. You can see two examples in this post of his skills on display while powerless(sparring with Storm, and beating Bishop)-
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5959275

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Eden was pretty absent in some of BP's Events. He wasn't' seen During Doom War or the Adversary Event. Even in the Current BP Story Arc, Eden is nowhere to be found. I agree he is a Loyal Friend. But I wouldn't peg him to be his Bestfriend. And if he is? I haven't seen that Relationship.

Since when BP doesn't like Gambit? That's first i've heard of that.

I've also thought his H2H skills were by a result of his Training not by his Mutant powers. Honestly, I've never really took that into consideration that it might be a possibility. NOW, seeing this Writer believes that's the case is really DISAPPOITNG.

Agreed. I'd rank him second too Logan as well. Gambit can whoop some Ass now.
    It's only some speculation on my part that this writer believes that Gambit's fighting skills are a result of his mutation. She may very well believe that Gambit is a great fighter and Gambit will get to put in a good showing against the Panther after the preview pages

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Yeah, this preview is definitely not getting me excited about the next issue. Why do so many Marvel writers have such a low opinion of Gambit's skills and powers? Yeah, I'm sure they are both still powerless in this scene and Black Panther is a strong, very skilled fighter, and I know this is just the first bit of the fight, but I am just so over Gambit being a pushover and getting beat up all the time. The writers seem to have no problem with all the rest of the iconic and popular characters being uber competent and awesome most of the time that is for sure. Thank goodness for Claremont's Gambit series and especially his still going X-Treme X-Men series(loving that one so much so far). He and Kelly Thompson seem to be the only ones at Marvel right now that think Gambit has a brain and is at all capable in battle.

Definitely learned. Gambit did just fine during his stint without powers in X-Treme X-Men. You can see two examples in this post of his skills on display while powerless(sparring with Storm, and beating Bishop)-
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5959275
    Ah, I didn't like X-Treme X-Men and stopped reading it. I had not been aware of that story. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    It's only some speculation on my part that this writer believes that Gambit's fighting skills are a result of his mutation. She may very well believe that Gambit is a great fighter and Gambit will get to put in a good showing against the Panther after the preview pages
    OH ok. I get you. Well, I hope so too. Fingers Crossed.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Well i stand corrected am and growing and learning life lessons. lol. Just because you SHOW up whenever somebody needs you doesn't mean your they friend or they going to come looking for you when you go missing. You just they supporting cast. like damn. lmao. ^_^
    I like Manifold but we’re not gonna pretend his relationship with T’Challa isn’t contrived and underdeveloped lmao. Now let’s give him some more dialogue and put him on that date with Shuri before we start calling him his closest friend. But it would be sweet I guess if T’Challa said he was taking time from whatever he’s doing to search for Eden. Not even on Avengers business, just because that’s his friend. If the creator isn’t even writing Rogue and Gambit with that kind of personality I’m not expecting that for BP or Eden lol.

Even though #1 was a disappointment for me, I’m still hesitant to blame Phillips when this story was clearly already drafted by editorial before she was even hired. And that room hates Gambit - and, with the exception of Duggan, dislike and/or are ambivalent to Rogue. If the powerless thing sticks, it’s because a favorite trope of those dudes is usually to de-power or nerf her rather than try to display her powers in creative ways (or even dream up a more interesting threat for her), and Remy is collateral damage.

But while lazy writers are fond of it, there are also writers like Claremont and Thompson who use de-powering stories to mine emotional depth and creative street level fight scenes. Fingers (tentatively) crossed for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Since when BP doesn't like Gambit? That's first i've heard of that.
    If true, it’s because Storm is Remy’s bestie. He’s definitely threatened T’Challa on her behalf after that whole mess between them, as a loyal friend would.

A reader elsewhere said that T'Challa and Eden were held in another galaxy and survived being under the control of an emperor for many years together. They said that experience seemed to make them close but I'm not familiar with that story.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Cool. More inept Gambit. Really makes me want to buy issue 2
    T’Challa landed the first hit. I wouldn’t say that alone makes Gambit incompetent. T’Challa comes across worse in this preview for being the aggressor. Dude is a king and a diplomat, he’s the last person who should be resorting to a “punch first, ask questions later” mentality. Unless he’s being mind-controlled as well...
    Last edited by Dipter; 03-03-2023 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I like Manifold but we’re not gonna pretend his relationship with T’Challa isn’t contrived and underdeveloped lmao. Now let’s give him some more dialogue and put him on that date with Shuri before we start calling him his closest friend. But it would be sweet I guess if T’Challa said he was taking time from whatever he’s doing to search for Eden. Not even on Avengers business, just because that’s his friend. If the creator isn’t even writing Rogue and Gambit with that kind of personality I’m not expecting that for BP or Eden lol.
    I mean your not wrong. I was more seeing it from manifold side and reading between the lines. I feel like if he read that he would been like "f#) this, i'm done being dat dude uber. Call Brother Voodo next time you need a damn teleporter" but then the s.o.s would go off he would show up with back up again. lol.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterhood Of Mutants View Post
    Even though #1 was a disappointment for me, I’m still hesitant to blame Phillips when this story was clearly already drafted by editorial before she was even hired. And that room hates Gambit - and, with the exception of Duggan, dislike and/or are ambivalent to Rogue. If the powerless thing sticks, it’s because a favorite trope of those dudes is usually to de-power or nerf her rather than try to display her powers in creative ways (or even dream up a more interesting threat for her), and Remy is collateral damage.

But while lazy writers are fond of it, there are also writers like Claremont and Thompson who use de-powering stories to mine emotional depth and creative street level fight scenes. Fingers (tentatively) crossed for the latter.

If true, it’s because Storm is Remy’s bestie. He’s definitely threatened T’Challa on her behalf after that whole mess between them, as a loyal friend would.
    I’m tempted to believe you that this is editorial. It’s too consistent across all the writers to be one writer

SMH, even without his powers Gambit is capable of taking on guys like Bishop so no Black Panther should not be just throwing him around. And the fact Rogue has to save him again is pathetic. The dude is being written like a Damsel in Distress. Phillips has to be trolling at this point. What makes this so jarring is how competent even without powers that Gambit looks in XXM and Captain Marvel.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I must say reading to this thread and then the Black Panther one is kinda funny. Opinions are so wildly different lol.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Prostrate face-down on the ground, my thoughts: are we having a pages-long argument about who can beat who in a fight? I’m having flashbacks to 1989, my little brother arguing about how the Undertaker could take everyone in the WWF. Yes, even Ultimate Warrior.

If I had something nice to say I’d say I kinda like the no trench look, I think Gambit’s top is a little Nightwing-esque and accentuates his shoulders, which is scientifically the hottest part of a man.

Resuming face-down posture: am I talking about costumes now? What has become of me…

At least Manifold is cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Uh what is BP standing on in that 2nd panel lol.

But yea, it seems so strange to push this story on a writer who might not have been up to date or that invested in the characters.

People like Leah Williams and Kelly Thompson are right there, who have expressed interest in writing more stories with them time and again, and consistently put them in cameos or have them guest-star in books they are working on.

Last edited by ChronoRogue; 03-04-2023 at 01:22 AM.