Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I feel like we discussed this before and are going in circles. To sum up what I said in the past:

1. There is no reason to assume an ongoing Spider-Man comic has to have an ending. If Marvel thinks it does, that assumption is based on dated beliefs and should be questioned.

2. If someone found a way to do OMD that felt natural (meaning it was in-character for Peter and MJ and also didn't feel like a Crisis reboot), then OMD would have been fine.

3. Yes, post-OMD comics would have been fine/better if there was change and growth (like you say). But there wasn't.

4. I want the books to be character-driven again and for Peter to not feel like an action figure, which (other than a 3-year respite from Spencer), has not been the case.
    How was Spencer’s run different from the others?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    How was Spencer’s run different from the others?
    There was at least an attempt to tell a character-driven story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    There was at least an attempt to tell a character-driven story.
    I agree, like the run as a whole or not, Spencer to me clearly had one over Slott and Wells when it came to writing the characters he brought to the book as being distinct and having their own voice as oposed to just reacting to the random shennanigans writers came up with every arc.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/live/CCP79dc...e=share&t=4096

At about an hour and eight minutes into the video, ComicPop's Sal discusses the current state of Spider-Man comics. At about an hour and twenty minutes in, Sal states that he doesn't think Spider-Man is capable of being creatively satisfying anymore. That it can be like bubblegum or popcorn, but the days of creativity and innovation are over for that book.

Is he right? Is Spider-Man doomed to eternal stagnation and mediocrity?
    This is how Ive felt since OMD. What was appealing about Peter was seeing him deal with his personal life and watching it grow and evolve. He felt like a real person.

TBH I would have preferred a divorce over what we got. At least then we would see Peter deal with a real issue that plenty of people go through. Now Peter is stuck in a holding a pattern and the character is stagnant. The best we can hope for is short reprieves with temporary status quo shifts that make the book feel fresh (Superior Spiderman) or good elseworld stories.

Bring back Ultimate Peter!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca Blitzkrieg View Post
    I agree, like the run as a whole or not, Spencer to me clearly had one over Slott and Wells when it came to writing the characters he brought to the book as being distinct and having their own voice as oposed to just reacting to the random shennanigans writers came up with every arc.
    That’s literally what Spencer’s run was: characters reacting to random shenanigans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That’s literally what Spencer’s run was: characters reacting to random shenanigans.
    Might have felt that way to you, but i thought they were pretty well written even if the story got sloggy or overbooked sometimes. I binged his run in two or three big round-ups so i didn't feel that put off by what's been considered to be his more pressing pacing issues back then.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Unlike all of the other She-Hulk romance, with Parker, it would open a lot to story telling potential.
    Wow I missed this until now. So what you're saying, at least in your own worldview, is that Jen's relationships with Wyatt Wingfoot, John Jameson, Thor Odinson, and Jack of Hearts, and others all inherently suffer from lack of potential quality as compared to a Jen/Peter romance, no matter how hard a writer tries?

I feel sorry for the writers of those other relationships. All their work, automatically judged inferior to a Jen/Peter story.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Wow I missed this until now. So what you're saying, at least in your own worldview, is that Jen's relationships with Wyatt Wingfoot, John Jameson, Thor Odinson, and Jack of Hearts, and others all inherently suffer from lack of potential quality as compared to a Jen/Peter romance, no matter how hard a writer tries?

I feel sorry for the writers of those other relationships. All their work, automatically judged inferior to a Jen/Peter story.
    Nah, Darthfury78's a gem.

I'm pretty sure they have a massive tombola full of Marvel character names and, regardless of how nonsensical, will fight to the death that this month's random pick should be an integral part of Spidey's world.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Too much is tied to Jennifer's past relationships. None of She-Hulk's romance has led towards stories where the partner who also (works as both a lawyer and scientist) has a large following of readers to support the series.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 04-14-2023 at 07:34 AM.

Too much is tied to the past.
    Which a good writer can "rectify".
    None of She-Hulk's romance has led towards stories where the partner who also works as both a lawyer and scientist..
    Going off-topic with this thread, but you're limiting actually limiting Jen's partners to a lawyer/scientist? Whatever happened to out of the box suggestions for other sorts of partners who would be equally interesting.

Again, this is all in your worldview, and you are perfectly entitled to it. But it's far from the only one, and others deserve attention too.

Edit: For the sake of other posters, you added the "has a large following of readers to support the series." part afterwards.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

Astonishing Member

Which a good writer can "rectify".

Going off-topic with this thread, but you're limiting actually limiting Jen's partners to a lawyer/scientist? Whatever happened to out of the box suggestions for other sorts of partners who would be equally interesting.

Again, this is all in your worldview, and you are perfectly entitled to it. But it's far from the only one, and others deserve attention too.

Edit: For the sake of other posters, you added the "has a large following of readers to support the series." part afterwards.
    The question is has anyone of Jenn's past relationships worked as both a lawyer and scientist who has a strong following to generate strong sales figures in their own self titled series? Yes, Jenn has been with Tony Stark and a few others. But none of them has shared both the legal and scientific sides to her work detail. Gotta create a situation that no one will see coming that would get more readers to buy the She-Hulk series to match the sales figures for Amazing Spider-Man..

I honestly think most of them were just... one-time flings that were never a real romantic relationship.

And with that… we're closing the conversation on yet another inexplicable She-Hulk relationship to focus on the topic: Spider-Man.
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I wonder if Batman fans ever complain that all he ever does is hangs out with Alfred and fights Joker and Clayface

They must, right? ...Right?
    Batman fans sometimes complain about Joker showing up way too much.

She dated John Jameson? Lol.

A hypothetical Spidey/Jen story too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Nah, Darthfury78's a gem.

I'm pretty sure they have a massive tombola full of Marvel character names and, regardless of how nonsensical, will fight to the death that this month's random pick should be an integral part of Spidey's world.
    There was this one time he tried to say that Natasha should be part of Spidey's world instead of Teresa because Natasha has a deeper connection with Spidey's parents.

Natasha, who's not even implied to have met them, has a deeper connection with Spidey's parents than Teresa, who at the time was 100% confirmed to be Spidey's sister.

Was so baffling, and I'm probably never forgetting this.

The question is has anyone of Jenn's past relationships worked as both a lawyer and scientist who has a strong following to generate strong sales figures in their own self titled series? Yes, Jenn has been with Tony Stark and a few others. But none of them has shared both the legal and scientific sides to her work detail.
    Did Spidey become a lawyer while I wasn't looking?

Gotta create a situation that no one will see coming that would get more readers to buy the She-Hulk series to match the sales figures for Amazing Spider-Man..
    That's not gonna happen, Spidey sells that much because he's Spider-Man, other heroes can at best get a similar level of sales under a really good writer.

Then again, why do I bother? This must be like the third time I point this out to you lol.

Anyways, answer to this thread's question is still "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That's not gonna happen, Spidey sells that much because he's Spider-Man, other heroes can at best get a similar level of sales under a really good writer.

Then again, why do I bother? This must be like the third time I point this out to you lol.

Anyways, answer to this thread's question is still "yes".
    Spider-Man brings a large following. If Peter Parker appears as a reoccuing guest who helps Jennifer with her court cases and crime fighting upgrades(to use her gamma powers), we could see a strong sales increase for the She-Hulk series. While Spider-Man isn't needed to help She-Hulk, Peter Parker(civilian guise) could help Jennifer with some of her court cases and research. This could tie Peter with The Hulk Family where he finally get to work with Rick Jones, Betty Ross, and Bruce Banner. One branch leads to another. The lack of migration of other characters is what's killing comics in general because of the segreation of characters to their respective Editoial Department.