Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    It's all in the execution but I'm not opposed to the concept. Spidey as the lone, outcast, loser, screw up has been so boring. A chance for him to have to be a mature example and mentor for an aspiring hero would be a welcome change.

I don't know the context but I hope he's not revealed to be instriniscly tied to preexisting continuity, I often find when characters are reconned into the past it makes their worth feel artificially inflated. I much prefer a character whose new to the scene and not some shocking revelation that's secretly part of the story since Amazing Fantasy 14.

It'a definitely a bummer to be told "there's no room for Ben Reilly" and then be subjected to the farce like tragedy of Chasm where the character and his situation is played for laughs and then suddenly there's a Spider-Boy, but can't blame the character for that. And I understand that a clone of Spider-Man and a sidekick fulfill different roles, but it does feel like space being arbitrarily created for one character and arbitrarily removed to exclude/distort another and that's disappointing when you don't feel the Chasm story is any good.
    I just don't really trust Slott to handle it well. His Spidey in particular was a pretty ineffective screw-up at times.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    I agree with you. He absolutely doesn't.
    He's gone 60+ years without one.
    But by that logic, this will lead to stories we've never seen before.
    And if readers keep an open mind and see where those stories go, there might be fun new dynamics and surprises in store.
    I always thought Spidey's sidekicks were the people of New York City??

Spidahhhh-boy! Finally, representation for kids whose main mode of interacting with Spidey is Fortnite :P

Him, Dylan and Normie should start a band

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It's wild how this stuff we read and watched as kids just sticks with us throughout our entire lives, isn't it? Like, the Clone Saga was the stuff I grew up reading and I love it to death, no matter how bad some of it may have been. I know some people out in the world wide web are all like...

"The Clone Saga was the absolute worst! It ruined Spider-Man!"

Meanwhile, I am over here like...

"THE CLONE SAGA IS MY JAM! 90'S MARVEL 4EVAH!"

Clone Saga was a point of no return. It was a story that you shouldn't try to undo, because it becomes utterly meaningless if you do. It was the finality of everything that made the story worth reading. If you're not into that? If you want something where nothing really changes... yeah not the comic for you. but i thought it was good.

Cool design, I don't dislike the idea (althought I'd have preferred Miles for that concept when he joined the 616 universe) , and there could be an interesting dynamic between the two characters. However, I just hope the guy isn't portrayed since the beginning as a better superhero who systematically saves Peter's butt or acts disrespectful towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    Cool design, I don't dislike the idea (althought I'd have preferred Miles for that concept when he joined the 616 universe) , and there could be an interesting dynamic between the two characters. However, I just hope the guy isn't portrayed since the beginning as a better superhero who systematically saves Peter's butt or acts disrespectful towards him.
    Yeah, hopefully literally the exact opposite of Alpha personality-wise and it could be good haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Seen it. It's an old codename that's not been used for decades applied to a new character. Once you find out what that name is, you'll know why it's been dormant.
    Well, the news is out now, so I can now say why the name was dormant - Spider-Boy was previously an Amalgam Comics character meaning that DC and Marvel shared that trademark. I guess it's lapsed and now Marvel can take it for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Was there any trouble with the name, given the previous Amalgam Spider-Boy?
    That's what I assumed. Figured it must've expired, Amalgam was nearly 30 years ago after all. DC also recently introduced a new Sparrow, the name of the Tim Drake/Jubilee amalgam, as Tim's new sidekick.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-01-2023 at 03:18 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, the news is out now, so I can now say why the name was dormant - Spider-Boy was previously an Amalgam Comics character meaning that DC and Marvel shared that trademark. I guess it's lapsed and now Marvel can take it for themselves.
    ^^^Might explain the throwaway scene from Spider-man 2…:

An “out w. the old in w. the new” Easter egg for those who put it together?

If so, as a huge fan of Amalgam Spidey I find that pretty crappy, but I won’t hold it against the incoming kid!

Mighty Member

Decided to let the image sit in my subconscious for a bit before commenting. First, the costume is dope. It's different enough that he's not "Spider-man Jr" but still would look good in a big group shot. I think it's smart to make him a preteen - he's not going to be on anyone else's corner and can bounce around with different people in a different way. Obviously, characterization will matter, but I think this could be fun. I'm also hoping that the existence of Miles ensures Bailey doesn't need to get aged up anytime soon.

As a guess, that will certainly be proven wrong in a few days at most, I think Bailey will be from the Peter with no powers timeline/universe and he'll already have an established rapport with him, so he and our Peter will have a weird opening arc trying to figure each other out
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Finally got to make an account. After stewing I agree with @bob.schoonover. Also I'm intrigued with the 6 eye mask and the fact Dan said he wasn't a teen. Maybe he isn't a kid either? Some sort of weird creature would be rad, like an evolved up spider. Can't wait for the issue!

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    Speaking of Miles, it’d be interesting to see the 2 interact to see what kind of dynamic they’d have given how Miles is Peter’s protege while the new kid is his sidekick.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

i don’t know why but I get a super boy feeling from that description lol

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I hate this...I've been stupid enough to buy Spider-Man 'cause I really hoped all the spider characters and the multiverse was going to be ended..more fool me, mugged by Dan Slott again! Spider-Boy, FFS! Yes, shades of Superboy, of course...and solicit says he's always been here, he's not new or from another "verse", that old trope (where's the Sentry now, and who gives a rat's arse about Silk?)...we've got DC inspired by Marvel - see Doom Patrol ( yes do, it is good) and Marvel inspired by DC, lots of nonsense with multiverses - see Spider-Man etc and the return of Ultimate verse....urgh!

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I've refrained from joining in with all the moaning there is about ASM ( although agree with points made), this stuff in Spider-Man is catching up with me now..I mean, Peter Parker is no more, in this title, seems he's really gone (let alone Jess)..he's not coming back, replaced by Peter Palmer, another product of a different timeline/universe whatever, and yet always known by Silk...??

There's just too much anti Peter Parker sentiment going on in both Spidey titles these days...it's not on!

Come the day when enough people get pissed off about this and vote with their wallet, boycotting the titles, let's see how Marvel do without Peter Parker, THE Amazing Spider-Man!

Astonishing Member

Wait - I thought the reason for OMD and why Peter Parker must be written as a perpetual manchild in the current comics is because he must always be “young?”

But doesn’t giving him a child sidekick…age him and make him seem older?

lol
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 04-01-2023 at 01:24 PM.