Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Okay cool. Do you have an answer for my question though?

Astonishing Member

No, because I don't care. I think this business of "Oh no, Dan has changed the conversation, he's made us negative, oh no" is baloney. The pre-emptive negativity was already in this thread and just about every other thread about any new Spider-Man comic.

Fantastic Member

I think it’s less your lack of care and more you not having an answer that would let you continue to pretend people’s negativity and pessimism for this new character/run is unreasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    He wasn't commenting on the character, he was commenting on the culture of this message board. For example, your reaction was "Maybe he's lying about this new character". That's starting at a place of negativity before knowing a single thing about the character or their story.
    As said before, you can't please everyone. And yeah, I think it's very safe to say that there are going to be users who will dismiss or hate on whatever Dan Slott does simply because of the virtue of it being written by Dan Slott (esp. considering how there are a fair share of users here who are not fans of his work for one reason or another).

However, the point is why even bring it up in the first place, esp. if you'd like people to approach it with an open mind? Haters are going to hate, but, as Star Wars tells us, our focus determines our reality. People should be free to post what they want (so long as rules are followed); I just don't see how framing this new thing with the potential negative reception helps. Does that make any sense?

For example, your reaction was "Maybe he's lying about this new character". That's starting at a place of negativity before knowing a single thing about the character or their story.
    Straw man. Yes, I am pretty open that I'm not a fan of Slott's writing style or his interpretation of the character (and that I really don't like the inherent status quo the post-OMD variant of Spider-Man is built on). However, the point was that I was wondering if we're seeing misdirection to preserve a surprise, which is not a negative starting point. (The "lying" part was just a Doctor Who joke, given Slott's known fondness for the show. Just ignore that, if it's gumming things up.) Heck, if memory serves, the only negative thing I've posted is wondering if the reveal will live up to the hype, which is pretty darn mild "negativity."
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

No, because I don't care. I think this business of "Oh no, Dan has changed the conversation, he's made us negative, oh no" is baloney. The pre-emptive negativity was already in this thread and just about every other thread about any new Spider-Man comic.
    I think it goes beyond Spider-Man. There are corners of every kind of fandom that get stuck in a negative zone.
    And if they don't get exactly what they want, they feel perfectly justified in throwing basic civility out the window and acting in ways that they themselves would find unacceptable in any other arena.

For example, I've seen someone be very vocal online about how abhorrent they find the Snydercult's actions.

Yet that same person behaves just like them when he engages with (or tag) people from the Spider-Man office or Spider-Man creative teams.

Recently, when a Spider-Man editor started up a positivity thread wishing everyone a happy new comic book day, that poster jumped into the thread and said:
    "Hopefully this is followed by 'Happy competent editorial day' but I'm not holding my breath."

I am 100% certain that same poster would have gone after a Snydercult member for saying anything like that to James Gunn, but they themselves have a blind eye to their own actions when they're acting in the same way to the Spider-Man office.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 03-24-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Can she work visually without Marcos Martin?
    There's no denying that Marcos really made Paper Doll come to life on the page-- in all her wonderful weirdness!

Did you ever read the Paper Doll story in WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #7 by Joe Casey and Jim Mahfood?
    Jim Mahfood is a legendary artist and I loved seeing his interpretation of the character in that issue.

I think my old pal, Giuseppe Camuncoli, would draw an excellent Piper! Same for Valerio Schiti! Rachael Stott would kill doing a Paper Doll story! Can you imagine what Alan Davis would do with Paper Doll?

With every issue that I get to work with Mark Bagley on SPIDER-MAN, I'm more and more convinced that he can do ANYTHING! So there's a good chance we could see her pop up in the pages of SPIDER-MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I’m sure she can, just maybe not as well. Marcos Martin is kind of a once in a lifetime talent
    Marcos is one of my favorite people to work with. EVER. He's mainly working on creator owned work now. EVERYONE should check out his book, FRIDAY-- with one of the greatest comic book writers of all-time, Ed Brubaker! It is PHENOMENAL!

I feel very fortunate that Marcos enjoys collaborating with me. And even more fortunate that he came back for my last issue of ASM. And that he came back again to do a MARVEL #1000 page with me. And the two-pager in ASM #900. And, weirdly enough, a short story in CONAN: THE BARBARIAN #25...
    I called him up one day and said, "Dude. They asked me if I wanted to do a Conan story. Me? A Conan story? How bizarre is that?" And Marcos was like, "I'd do a Conan story with you."
    I am sure that each one of those assignments slowed down FRIDAY. So I am VERY sorry for that. We've talked about stuff we'd like to do after he's done. So-- fingers crossed-- we can get to that someday. He really is amazing! And I'd be honored to work on any character or any project-- just to keep telling stories with him!
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 03-24-2023 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    I think my old pal, Giuseppe Camuncoli, would draw an excellent Piper! Same for Valerio Schiti! Rachael Stott would kill doing a Paper Doll story! Can you imagine what Alan Davis would do with Paper Doll?
    First time I ever saw Guiseppe's art was on the Wraith\Antivenom arc you two did right before Spider-Island. His renderings of both of those characters knocked me out flat. The colors were also just magical--in fact, I never saw his pencils colored like that ever again. One of my fave "small" stories from your run.

Anyway, excited for what's next in adjectiveless!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    First time I ever saw Guiseppe's art was on the Wraith\Antivenom arc you two did right before Spider-Island. His renderings of both of those characters knocked me out flat. The colors were also just magical--in fact, I never saw his pencils colored like that ever again. One of my fave "small" stories from your run.

Anyway, excited for what's next in adjectiveless!
    hes the guy who did volume 4 parker industries right love his art
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Up until issue 24, the last of the Clone Conspiracy tie-in issues, yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

How many years of an author’s work do you have to be familiar with before you can make assumptions about how you’re going to feel about their future work?
    Two years and one title change.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    he was great on Dark Wolverine and is currently on Undiscovered Country

Quote Originally Posted by Jwyatt View Post
    I liked North's run, but I don't think she's a regular fixture right now. What's the last time she was appearing regularly? It seems pretty quiet for her since the last cancelation.

The Inhumans were being promoted everywhere, and now they're regular fixtures nowhere.
    Except for Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl. Those two are successful in spite of their origins. Both of them had the Inhuman link removed for their TV shows.

As for Squirrel Girl, yeah, she was in Al Ewing's New Avengers and U.S. Avengers at the same time her solo was running, but since those all ended - and Marvel Rising bit the dust too - she's not appeared often. I think her last major appearance was in Outlawed, three years ago. She attends a meeting involving the Champions, seems to be a new member (she was on their Reinforcement Roster, i.e. reserves, but never physically appeared, during Zub's run). But once Kamala's Law passes, the team disperses, and the Champions book focuses just on Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Nova, Ironheart, Wasp, and Bombshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I think there's often a disconnect between gauging what "matters" and what's "being published right this moment."

Like, Hawkeye doesn't have a book right now, but it's hard to argue the character was all the rage between 2012 and the debut of his show. Same for Kamala, Squirrel Girl, Eternals, Moon Girl and DD, etc.

Meanwhile, Tombstone was in the best-selling ASM issues, but I struggle to say he's got the cachet of any abovementioned "out of print" characters

Anyway, gonna throw my hat into the guessing game and say the new character is Spider-Uatu, the Web-Watcher
    Moon Girl does actually have a book currently.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Local comic shop has the new character on display. All i can say is huh

Fantastic Member

Any chance you got a picture?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Any chance you got a picture?
    I'm sure the internet will provide soon--ish