Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batman," "Amazing Spider-Man" Lead the Way in August

August's sales charts saw "Batman" soar to the top, followed closely by "Amazing Spider-Man," "Original Sin" and "The Multiversity."

Full article here.

Amazing Member

Good to see Superior Spider-Man back in the top 10.

Or at all.

Astonishing Member

Rocket Raccoon, Spiderman 2099 and starlord all number #1s and in the top 10 all drooped out of top 10. Amazing Rocket could not even stay in after being number #1 last month. I like months like this with few #1s it gives people a chance to see what is actually selling. Batman Eternal seems like its been a huge success.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Rocket Raccoon, Spiderman 2099 and starlord all number #1s and in the top 10 all drooped out of top 10. Amazing Rocket could not even stay in after being number #1 last month. I like months like this with few #1s it gives people a chance to see what is actually selling. Batman Eternal seems like its been a huge success.
    I think most people knew the #2s weren't going be on the August top 10 list. Hopefully Grayson #2 is in top 15 because the book has been great so far.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Wow, Rocket dropped out of the top 10? Even if you eliminate the 100k units sold to Loot Crate and halve the 200,000 remaining units, he should have been able to maintain a top 10 showing. That is a massive drop all things considered.

Amazing Member

Remember these are all sales to the comic book stores, not customers, and they had to order #2 before #1 hits the shelves. So it's just second nature to assume many people will drop off and order lots less of #2 of any title.

So it has nothing to do with a lot of people dropping a book necessarily. Until they can get a metric for how many books were sold to customers, these numbers are always a little misleading.

I continue to be amazed and more than a little mystified at Harley's sales, month after month.

I knew the character had a fanbase, but I always figured she was just a cult favourite.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by abysslord View Post
    Remember these are all sales to the comic book stores, not customers, and they had to order #2 before #1 hits the shelves. So it's just second nature to assume many people will drop off and order lots less of #2 of any title.

So it has nothing to do with a lot of people dropping a book necessarily. Until they can get a metric for how many books were sold to customers, these numbers are always a little misleading.
    Yeah, it basically means that the book was never a big hit to begin with; just overinflated first issue retail orders.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    I continue to be amazed and more than a little mystified at Harley's sales, month after month.

I knew the character had a fanbase, but I always figured she was just a cult favourite.

I think its refreshing to have another ongoing in the top ten besides bats and spidey.

BANNED

I think its refreshing to have another ongoing in the top ten besides bats and spidey.
    Well, she started out as a supporting character in a Batman cartoon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Well, she started out as a supporting character in a Batman cartoon.

Ya. And the punisher started out as a bad guy in amazing spiderman. That doesnt make him a spidey character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah, it basically means that the book was never a big hit to begin with; just overinflated first issue retail orders.

Its how Marvel stays ahead of DC. Throwing massive amounts of number #1s that get over ordered and having constant events.

BANNED

Ya. And the punisher started out as a bad guy in amazing spiderman. That doesnt make him a spidey character.
    The Punisher's family wasn't killed by Spidey's arch nemesis, though. Nor did he ever have a homoerotic relationship with Doc Ock.

Harley's connection to the Bat-verse runs pretty deep.

BANNED

Its how Marvel stays ahead of DC. Throwing massive amounts of number #1s that get over ordered and having constant events.
    When was the last time DC did not have an event (either line-wide, Bat-wide or Super-wide)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    When was the last time DC did not have an event (either line-wide, Bat-wide or Super-wide)?
    DC has had one line wide event since the new 52. ( forever evil). Marvel has probably had 5 since then.