Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    He was a villain, though. He hit his daughter as a child, and then sued his wife for slander when she left him because of that. He stole a book and got his daughter to take the fall. Positing that if someone who did that got powers they would use them for evil is not a wild stretch. Then his younger daughter instead of letting her sister take the fall like he told her to betrayed him to the police (as he would see it).

While I like to believe nobody is beyond redemption, reconciliation with people like that tends to last only as long as it suits them.
    There are people who are beyond redemption. Hitler being an obvious non controversial example of this. In Marvel Red Skull and Cletus come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He allowed his other daughter to take the fall for him when he broke the law.
    That makes him an *******, not recurring villain material.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    He was a villain, though. He hit his daughter as a child, and then sued his wife for slander when she left him because of that. He stole a book and got his daughter to take the fall. Positing that if someone who did that got powers they would use them for evil is not a wild stretch. Then his younger daughter instead of letting her sister take the fall like he told her to betrayed him to the police (as he would see it).

While I like to believe nobody is beyond redemption, reconciliation with people like that tends to last only as long as it suits them.
    All this being said, it doesn't make him recurring villain material. His arc was completed and there is no reason for him to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    All this being said, it doesn't make him recurring villain material. His arc was completed and there is no reason for him to return.
    agree he already did his punishment idk why people want Peter to beat him down.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I would made an arc about expanding Peter with his parents. We had so little of them.

I'd make Teresa and Kaine regular cast members.

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    This too.

I don't understand why create Teresa and then practically use little.

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    Same here, especially Kaine.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    This too.

Because they’re scared of committing to a big continuity change. That’s why Peter has such a lackluster supporting cast.

I really wish Peter was allowed to have sidekicks or partners rather than just doing everything alone.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Because they’re scared of committing to a big continuity change. That’s why Peter has such a lackluster supporting cast.

I really wish Peter was allowed to have sidekicks or partners rather than just doing everything alone.
    And done in a way that didn't make him look completely incompetent for someone with his years of experience. As for committing to a big continuity change or status quo shift, that was his marriage to Mary Jane Watson(-Parker). That would have been him and MJ having and raising a child as a married couple, though you are definitely right that Marvel editorial was and is scared of committing to a major shift in the status quo or standard continuity of Spider-Man, and the backlash against him being married leading all the way to One More Day was quite the factor in that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    This too.

It connects to a weird part of Spider-Man's background which makes him less relatable.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It connects to a weird part of Spider-Man's background which makes him less relatable.
    A guy with Spider Powers is super relatable so I can see how this reason is justified. We don't want to do anything wacky that might make the character seem unrelatable; like a reality-warping deal with a Devil-stand in or becoming a magical totem or something, oh wait.....
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-30-2023 at 09:19 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

If you were in charge of the Spider-Man comics, what would you like to see?
    Somehow an idea to bring people back new and old. Somehow we're going to find a status quo for Peter that works for on-going never ending storytelling that isn't too big or crazy to revert the status quo. There will be strict editorial control to prevent the status quo from getting too big to the point where the comic can't get supported anymore without reverting. And that's why we're having TWO mainline books.

Amazing Spider-Man Classic

Amazing Spider-Man NOW!

Classic will resume the status quo before One More Day, but without the baggage of Civil War and everything. The comic will have a lot of freedom of what to do in Spider-Man's world, but editorial (me) will prevent the outside world (the marvel universe) from getting too crazy or alternate universesy so old school fans can feel at home. Modern changes like Miles Morales, and other similar storylines are allowed to exist. Basically the writer has the control of a whole pocket of marvel universe but it has to center around Peter. HOWEVER, if the comic has low sales and has to end.. it ENDS. The writers will be given time to finish off the comic, and once its done.. the story of this Spider-Man is done.. at least until we need a mini-series to pick up the sales slack. Oh, and Peter is a professional photographer and teacher. (He does both somehow..)

The NOW comic will be a streamlined version of the modern continuity by bringing back elements that worked even if it doesn't make sense. For example, Peter will be a scientist again like in the Big Time era..using his gifts to excel in life and actually feel like he's accomplished something beyond being a single loser who gets cucked by gods. Peter will work at Horizon Labs as a low level scientist or he's an inventor of sorts making inventions on the side to make money but never becoming rich or powerful enough to feel unrelatable.

What type of writers and artists would you seek out?

Man I don't know anyone who does a good job and is willing to stay within my vision.

What books would you publish?

Besides the comics above?

Miles gets a comic that greatly interconnects with both series. If Miles gets a new villain, then that new villain might show up in Spider-Man Classic if the writers want to. That doesn't mean the universes are connected, but we want Peter and Miles fans to read each other's comics. Miles comic should feel like a Spider-Man comic told through the lens of a different more modern character. Miles can do stuff on YouTube or live stream cause that fits him more so writers don't need to make Peter "hip."

I wanna add in comics for all the other spider people but oh my gosh they're so many... all the spider-women and venom characters get shipped off to editorial corners of spider-women and venom. Ummm we're doing a yearly Spider-Man 2099 mini. Ben and Janine get to be a superhero couple but they never have kids, Kaine is there too and they fight Chasm, who is a separate entity. He represents the darkness of Spider-Man clones or maybe the darkness of just Spider-Man himself? THIS IS HARD. Anyways, totems and mystical stuff is with Kaine, superhero high life is with Ben, Miles gets to be with the spider-verse... 2099 has his own world. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE?

Oh, and event tie-ins are mini-series that cover the entire 616 spider-verse. They're also gonna be 2.99 each. If we hypothetical workers at the spider office have to advertise one of the X-Men's storylines we're sure gonna advertise the other comics in our line too.

What approach would you take to villains? New and returning villains for everyone! Shared villains for everyone! Some random villains so we can maybe do a memorable story with them like Juggernaut for everyone!

How often would there be guest stars? Ideally every 10 issues we'll get a team-up issue (but not at the expense of derailing a story), this will mostly be fanservice stuff to showcase Peter's bonds with his friends, spider-family, and other allies.

What would you like to see in the supporting cast? New and returning shared cast members for everyone. Kaine, Ben, Miles, and Teresa are supporting characters but they can't show up too often, just have Peter check on them every so often or they lean on each other. Classic characters will be shared by everyone? Huh, the main writer doesn't wanna use Jameson for his run? Well, farm him out to the other comics for a while..

This took a lot of random thinking, man I kind of wanna write Spider-Man comics now... I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Maybe someday I'll write a Spider-Man fanfic.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    If you were in charge of the Spider-Man comics, what would you like to see?
    Somehow an idea to bring people back new and old. Somehow we're going to find a status quo for Peter that works for on-going never ending storytelling that isn't too big or crazy to revert the status quo. There will be strict editorial control to prevent the status quo from getting too big to the point where the comic can't get supported anymore without reverting. And that's why we're having TWO mainline books.

Amazing Spider-Man Classic

Amazing Spider-Man NOW!

Classic will resume the status quo before One More Day, but without the baggage of Civil War and everything. The comic will have a lot of freedom of what to do in Spider-Man's world, but editorial (me) will prevent the outside world (the marvel universe) from getting too crazy or alternate universesy so old school fans can feel at home. Modern changes like Miles Morales, and other similar storylines are allowed to exist. Basically the writer has the control of a whole pocket of marvel universe but it has to center around Peter. HOWEVER, if the comic has low sales and has to end.. it ENDS. The writers will be given time to finish off the comic, and once its done.. the story of this Spider-Man is done.. at least until we need a mini-series to pick up the sales slack. Oh, and Peter is a professional photographer and teacher. (He does both somehow..)

The NOW comic will be a streamlined version of the modern continuity by bringing back elements that worked even if it doesn't make sense. For example, Peter will be a scientist again like in the Big Time era..using his gifts to excel in life and actually feel like he's accomplished something beyond being a single loser who gets cucked by gods. Peter will work at Horizon Labs as a low level scientist or he's an inventor of sorts making inventions on the side to make money but never becoming rich or powerful enough to feel unrelatable.

What type of writers and artists would you seek out?

Man I don't know anyone who does a good job and is willing to stay within my vision.

What books would you publish?

Besides the comics above?

Miles gets a comic that greatly interconnects with both series. If Miles gets a new villain, then that new villain might show up in Spider-Man Classic if the writers want to. That doesn't mean the universes are connected, but we want Peter and Miles fans to read each other's comics. Miles comic should feel like a Spider-Man comic told through the lens of a different more modern character. Miles can do stuff on YouTube or live stream cause that fits him more so writers don't need to make Peter "hip."

I wanna add in comics for all the other spider people but oh my gosh they're so many... all the spider-women and venom characters get shipped off to editorial corners of spider-women and venom. Ummm we're doing a yearly Spider-Man 2099 mini. Ben and Janine get to be a superhero couple but they never have kids, Kaine is there too and they fight Chasm, who is a separate entity. He represents the darkness of Spider-Man clones or maybe the darkness of just Spider-Man himself? THIS IS HARD. Anyways, totems and mystical stuff is with Kaine, superhero high life is with Ben, Miles gets to be with the spider-verse... 2099 has his own world. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE?

Oh, and event tie-ins are mini-series that cover the entire 616 spider-verse. They're also gonna be 2.99 each. If we hypothetical workers at the spider office have to advertise one of the X-Men's storylines we're sure gonna advertise the other comics in our line too.

What approach would you take to villains? New and returning villains for everyone! Shared villains for everyone! Some random villains so we can maybe do a memorable story with them like Juggernaut for everyone!

How often would there be guest stars? Ideally every 10 issues we'll get a team-up issue (but not at the expense of derailing a story), this will mostly be fanservice stuff to showcase Peter's bonds with his friends, spider-family, and other allies.

What would you like to see in the supporting cast? New and returning shared cast members for everyone. Kaine, Ben, Miles, and Teresa are supporting characters but they can't show up too often, just have Peter check on them every so often or they lean on each other. Classic characters will be shared by everyone? Huh, the main writer doesn't wanna use Jameson for his run? Well, farm him out to the other comics for a while..

This took a lot of random thinking, man I kind of wanna write Spider-Man comics now... I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Maybe someday I'll write a Spider-Man fanfic.
    Sounds good, generally speaking. I particularly like your note on having Miles be the more "modern/hip/young" Spider-Man that could go on YouTube or livestreams while letting Peter be the more "classic/timeless" Spider-Man, though it would be interesting to see them intersect on one of those at some point. Given that there should be a ten-plus-year gap between them in age, having a generationally based compare-and-contrast for them could be worth exploring, as much for what's changed as what hasn't changed since Peter's starting years as Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Sounds good, generally speaking. I particularly like your note on having Miles be the more "modern/hip/young" Spider-Man that could go on YouTube or livestreams while letting Peter be the more "classic/timeless" Spider-Man, though it would be interesting to see them intersect on one of those at some point. Given that there should be a ten-plus-year gap between them in age, having a generationally based compare-and-contrast for them could be worth exploring, as much for what's changed as what hasn't changed since Peter's starting years as Spider-Man.
    I think that’s honestly short sighted. People are going to get bored of Miles the same way they got bored of Peter. Forcing him into the “kid” role will only put him in the same boat as Tim Drake where writers view him as redundant.