Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool Scarlet Witch(2023) #3 Review

In Other Words,…My SISTER’S in Town!

The main themes of Orlando’s Scarlet Witch (2023) series where already pretty clear by issue #2 and the previews we have gotten up to this point, that of reconnection with those Wanda Loves and now always being their for not only them but for others down on their last leg so that no one falls again without someone that will help.

But I feel Issue #3 made it clearer in a way that cements in my mind this humanist approach to the book.

Even during the Big Dungeon and Dragons Quest adventure and Liberation story we got(Which is Incredibly Good by the Way, Felt Very Forklorist like out of D&D), it still came down to in the end besides the helping of MarDJ of the Sub-Atomic Universe, it is about restoring faith in ones beliefs like Wanda & Lorna did in helping MarDJ & her people, but also restoring faith and connection in themselves especially with how Wanda wants to change for the make the future better for her & her loved ones then before, not for things to slip through again anymore.

The quest feels like a folklore fable in this story that is homage of that, the healing of ones faith in what they believe in and that by working together even when the fables don’t work out in the way you hoped, it in the powers of working and caring about each other together that can alter the world to make your own hope and destiny.

I feel Orlando’s book is just that, about Wanda telling her story so far about her changing her outlook and destiny in life to being what she always wants it to be, but mostly to be their for the ones so loves to make those family and friend connections deeper then ever while being their for each other always.

This is like I have said before a deep book that requires more then 1 read threw to get the deeper themes and Orlando is a brilliant writer in how he gets those themes to paper!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

This issue was absolutely gorgeous. The best of the 3 so far for sure, I loved it.

It's a fun issue and felt like a fairy tale.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Chef's Kisses perfection.
    Loved the narration style of this issue...an interesting change that really suited the story being told. And allowed Pichelli to really flex with those splash pages.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

OK, fellow Magnus Sisters fans, I'm FINALLY goin' in! But before I do, in the meantime, a li'l...

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    So far, only 2 reviews are officially up here:

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b...witch-(2023)/3
    10.0 ComicBook.com - Jenna Anderson
    Mar 8, 2023

Scarlet Witch continues to be unabashedly, effortlessly sensational. ...
    spoilers:
    In this issue, Wanda teams up with Polaris in a fight to save part of Subatomica – a near-perfect combination of personal and larger canonical stakes for her case-of-the-week superheroics. Steve Orlando, Sara Pichelli and company take that idea and have some stylish and unexpected fun with it, and the execution is wonderful on practically ever level. You owe it to yourself to be reading this book.
    end of spoilers
    9.0 AIPT - Timothy ONeil
    Mar 8, 2023

'Scarlet Witch' #3 has big feelings in a tiny setting

Swords, coffee, and sass.

There's nothing small about this journey into the Microverse.
    spoilers:
    As Wanda and Darcy return from a coffee run, they are greeted by Wanda’s sister, the mistress of magnetism, Dr. Lorna Dane, Ph.D. It turns out Dr. Dane has discerned that the mysterious stone from the first issue is not a stone at all, but an “unstable ore” not unlike the mutant metal “mysterium” from the contemporary X-Men books. What this means is left unexplored, however, as the latest lady in need, Mardj of Tryfa, enters through the Last Door sending Lorna and Wanda on an adventure in the Quantum Realm. ...
    end of spoilers
    Read Full Review
    BUT just as before w/the 1st 2 issues, they're VERY POSITIVE!!
    REINFORCEMENT.

What a stunner!

Wanda's book feels like a nice fit for a story like this. Hope we get them semi-regularly, maybe as glue between arcs. Also a clear opportunity here to let Sarah relax a bit and let fill-in artists play.

Loved it, the art was really nice and I liked the sisters bonding

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's a fun issue and felt like a fairy tale.
    Indeed. Kudos to the previews not giving it away at all.
    I also must say I really liked the line about letting people fight their own fights. Especially in superhero comics this doesn't come up often but just hoping that someone else swoops in and literally solves all your problems isn't exactly a healthy attitude and I liked that Wanda herself is struggling with where to draw the line.

“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”

And from this fairy tale type of story we directly jump back into the bitter reality where Darcys past has caught up with her. I obviously don't know where the story will take us and Orlando has kept me on my toes so far. There was always something that subverted my expectations but I will say this. In like over 95% of the cases where a character makes an entrance like this and talks about "justice" it will be established they are just bullshitting and deserve a beatdown. It would be cool if a character like that would have an actual case of being wronged and kinda justified in their behavior. It would make for an interesting moral dilemma with the hero in question.

Also can someone give me rundown on Sub-Atomica? Im not really familiar with the setting. Is it like a different dimension that you reach by shrinking?
    Last edited by Galerion; 03-08-2023 at 02:36 PM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Seeing Wanda and Polaris bonding is cute, nice to see Wanda's relationships with her family are currently fine

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Did anyone else notice that probability drop? Could we be seeing a return to her and Pietro’s mutant status?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I also must say I really liked the line about letting people fight their own fights. Especially in superhero comics this doesn't come up often but just hoping that someone else swoops in and literally solves all your problems isn't exactly a healthy attitude and I liked that Wanda herself is struggling with where to draw the line.

“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”

And from this fairy tale type of story we directly jump back into the bitter reality where Darcys past has caught up with her. I obviously don't know where the story will take us and Orlando has kept me on my toes so far. There was always something that subverted my expectations but I will say this. In like over 95% of the cases where a character makes an entrance like this and talks about "justice" it will be established they are just bullshitting and deserve a beatdown. It would be cool if a character like that would have an actual case of being wronged and kinda justified in their behavior. It would make for an interesting moral dilemma with the hero in question.

Also can someone give me rundown on Sub-Atomica? Im not really familiar with the setting. Is it like a different dimension that you reach by shrinking?
    Subatomica is a solar system located in the Microverse. It’s where the Psycho-Man’s from.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 03-08-2023 at 03:54 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

BANNED

"Doctor MAGNETIC"... oh Darcy, lol, she's somethin' else. Already love how Lorna & Wanda are complimentarily collaborating with their powers. Them working together as an almost singular, fused unit, just seems so natural.

The shrinking charm & linguistic enchantment to 'The Last Door' - COOL! And the technology is evil theme being carried on here, from the X-books, is a nice, connective thread I wasn't eXpectin' to see.

Ooh, total change in style as they begin their quest, lending it a unique, fable-esque quality that works really well & I like A LOT!

"TWO SISTERS WITH A BOND MORE POWERFUL THAN BLOOD..."

"HEY, WANDA? YOU'RE ENOUGH. TRUST ME..."

"...I'M A DOCTOR."

The splash pg. where they create 'The Sword in the Star' & the epilogue one w/their beautiful, bonding moment(s) were worth the price of admission alone. And that CLIFFHANGER - WOW!!! Can't wait for the neXt ish.

I... LOVED THIS!! I'll be following Steve O. & Sara P. on the Twitter IMMEDIATELY, while tweeting about how much I enjoyed it at the same time, something I've barely done since their appearance at last year's Hellfire Gala together. This was just wonderful, and if I had to sum it up in 1 word...

POETIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

This is something I have envisioned for Wanda. She has the power to end so much conflict in peopleÂ’s lives, but in doing so she understands that she would deprive them of their own growth. She doesnÂ’t turn them away if their problem can be easily solved, but she serves as a temporary guide so that the persons own inner strength is found so they can grow. Just as she is still growing
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Subatomica is a solar system located in the Microverse. It’s where the Psycho-Man’s from.
    I was a bit confused because I assumed they were just tiny but then they talked about a star system and I was like "wait a moment"
    But yeah that clears it all up.

Also loved loved how Lorna gave Darcy credit for holding her own in their sass battle.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

We got another official review to add: https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b...witch-(2023)/3

9.2 The Super Powered Fancast - Deron Generally
    Mar 8, 2023

The Rundown: Wanda and Polaris find themselves fighting to liberate an alien world.

Pichelli delivers some visually stunning moments throughout the issue. The art is absolutely beautiful and perfectly captures the beauty and majesty of the story being told.
    spoilers:
    The Story: Orlando crafts a wonderful tale of myth and legend in this issue and I loved seeing how their adventure together affects the bond between Wanda and Lorna. The story is filled with great character moments and a narrative structure that is engaging and compelling to the reader. The story takes some interesting and entertaining turns throughout and ends on a fantastic cliffhanger that makes me excited to see what happens next.
    end of spoilers
    Read Full Review
    I put the spoiler tags on so I can bring it over to the HoM thread, which is where the OG quote came from.

Also, we'll have...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’ll have mine up on the site tomorrow, as my vacation cut into my reviewing time (damn you vacations!). My editors asked if I wanted someone else to take this issue, and I told them they’ll have to pry this book from my cold, dead hands. It’s as close to tens across the board as it can get.
    And have to agree on Wanda's introspection, it was enlightening, both as to where her character's head is currently at & honestly... on a personal level. I gained insight & learned some new ways of looking at things, when it comes to those pesky, existential questions we all find ourselves often asking, during those troubled times filled with heightened emotion & conflicted feelings. In fact, I wanna read it again, just to make sure I got the gist of it right.

Lastly, Wanda & Lorna really do make for a STRIKING PAIR, in all respects. In both an aesthetic sense & when it comes to their innate chemistry, I feel they actually could be...

MARVEL'S
    Dynamic
    DUO!!
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 03-08-2023 at 08:10 PM.