Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    An event that builds on and elevates Spider-Man as a hero and a character in the vein of what Dark Crisis (on Infinite Earths) ultimately did for Nightwing/Dick Grayson . . . that would be something to behold.
    I, too, crave another Spider-Island. "2 Spider, 2 Island: Bronx Bonanza", perhaps?

I can workshop it, I swear

The oddity of Marvel if you compare it to DC is that Peter's status in universe is not his status out of universe.
    The Justice Society and Justice League and Avengers were all created to do the same job: the companies took their B-list heros, stuck them all in a team book, and then declared that they were in fact the A-list. The two DC teams went on to stick Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman, their actual A-list, on the teams. Marvel did not, at least not until Bendis. (The MCU was repeating the same trick, since Marvel had sold the film rights to all its A-list characters.) So Spider-man's status as Marvel's mascot and A-list out of universe is not matched by his status in universe. While I approve of the situation in theory, in practice it means that Marvel editorial and writers have a weirdly conflicted relationship to Spider-man: there seems to be a feeling of slight resentment at the ambiguity. I think that's part of why editorial seem to want to treat Spider-man as a bit of a loser: his status in the one sense doesn't match his status in the other.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The oddity of Marvel if you compare it to DC is that Peter's status in universe is not his status out of universe.
    The Justice Society and Justice League and Avengers were all created to do the same job: the companies took their B-list heros, stuck them all in a team book, and then declared that they were in fact the A-list. The two DC teams went on to stick Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman, their actual A-list, on the teams. Marvel did not, at least not until Bendis. (The MCU was repeating the same trick, since Marvel had sold the film rights to all its A-list characters.) So Spider-man's status as Marvel's mascot and A-list out of universe is not matched by his status in universe. While I approve of the situation in theory, in practice it means that Marvel editorial and writers have a weirdly conflicted relationship to Spider-man: there seems to be a feeling of slight resentment at the ambiguity. I think that's part of why editorial seem to want to treat Spider-man as a bit of a loser: his status in the one sense doesn't match his status in the other.
    Next thing you'll tell me is that the Hulk isn't a rampaging monster, but a misunderstood gentle giant :P

(I mean no disrespect)

(Peter's hated in-universe because spiders are yucky. If he were real, me and my friends would’ve killed him with hammers I can tell you that much)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It's a similar situation with the X-Men, as despite being feared and hated outcasts that even the in-universe superhero community held at arm's length, they were, in their heyday, the most popular superhero team among real-life comics readers and fans. I think a lot of that came from how those readers and fans related more to the X-Men (and Spider-Man) as being misunderstood and alienated by society at large compared to the Avengers, who largely came off as champions and defenders of that same society, especially with Captain America and Iron Man --- the former with his American flag-themed costume and shield, the latter being a multibillionaire industrialist in his daily life --- as the leading figures there. (Of course, Cap and Tony were a lot more complicated and complex than those somewhat simplistic writeups would indicate, but you try telling that to the fans and readers who were more into X-Men and Spider-Man back in those days.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

If animated armored Spidey from TAS's finale stole all the other Spider-Men's luck . . . that kind of makes him the catalyst for nearly ending all reality, in a way, because the crap luck of that one reality where both Uncle Ben and then Aunt May died, leading to Spider-Man being cloned and one of the Spider-Men having a Carnage symbiote-influenced psychotic breakdown that drove him to wipe out existence itself out of spite for how badly he'd had it would be kind of his (Armored Spidey's) fault. Granted, I'm probably overanalyzing a joke, but still.
    I mean, if he really stole the luck from the other Spider-Men, he's just an unintentional, accidental universe destroyed, 'cause he didn't **** over the other Spiders on purpose, nor is he at fault for Spider-Carnage going insane and all lol.

That said, I do agree with your last point in particular; fandom should be something that unites us in love for the fictional media and characters that we all enjoy, not something that drives us to lash out at each other because we can't (or, in some cases, won't) engage in good faith with differences of opinion.
    Specially considering fandom butthurt is what killed this website before, and while it's unlikely it'll happen again with the more strict way this place is modded, it'd be better if Marvel didn't do **** that causes butthurt.

Not that I'm saying if they do cause butthurt that they're 100% at fault for it, ultimately people are responsible for their own actions, and any idiot doing **** like sending death threats to creators because of fucking comic books is pathetic, it's just it'd be better if Marvel didn't start this nonsense to begin with... But then again, Brevoort's disgusting sales method means they'll do it once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yes It’s time for Spiderman or the very least an event
    An event would be fine, but Spidey really shouldn't be a parasite to **** over the other franchises, it's not fun for the fan of those franchises, and it can be obnoxious for Spidey himself if he gets to be a boring, overpowered Mary Sue like Batman is once in a while.

Like I do wish Spidey was more competent, 80's Spidey was generally pretty awesome (His victory over Firelord is still bad though), but he can be competent without being an obnoxious parasite like Batman...

An event that builds on and elevates Spider-Man as a hero and a character in the vein of what Dark Crisis (on Infinite Earths) ultimately did for Nightwing/Dick Grayson . . . that would be something to behold.
    But do that without being a less fun version of boring.

The Justice Society and Justice League and Avengers were all created to do the same job: the companies took their B-list heros, stuck them all in a team book, and then declared that they were in fact the A-list. The two DC teams went on to stick Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman, their actual A-list, on the teams.
    I mean, JSA and JLA both started with the actual A-listers of the time, it's just that they introduced other characters to actuall be able to develop, someone, since the actual development would happen in their own comics.

Avengers meanwhile was made up at first of "close enough" characters, since they all had their own stories, but not in their own comics, that until a bunch of members left and others were introduced.

Marvel did not, at least not until Bendis. (The MCU was repeating the same trick, since Marvel had sold the film rights to all its A-list characters.) So Spider-man's status as Marvel's mascot and A-list out of universe is not matched by his status in universe. While I approve of the situation in theory, in practice it means that Marvel editorial and writers have a weirdly conflicted relationship to Spider-man: there seems to be a feeling of slight resentment at the ambiguity. I think that's part of why editorial seem to want to treat Spider-man as a bit of a loser: his status in the one sense doesn't match his status in the other.
    I doubt it's anything like that, Iron Man and Black Panther have the same problem (And from what I hear they both also get treated with more respect everywhere except their own damn comics) and neither are as big as Spidey.

I think it's just Marvel picking Spidey's usual melodramatic traits and exaggerating them to the point he's just an annoying loser, instead of someone who has bad things happen and may be dramatic about it, that and, well, current writing trends are also significantly edgier than before, "loser" characters are more accepted and even liked, and this can also be Marvel's attempt at cashing into that, and failing at it lol.

But who knows, it could be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Next thing you'll tell me is that the Hulk isn't a rampaging monster, but a misunderstood gentle giant :P
    Well, thanks to magic math™ the Hulk never actually killed anyone lol.

(I mean no disrespect)

(Peter's hated in-universe because spiders are yucky. If he were real, me and my friends would’ve killed him with hammers I can tell you that much)
    You and your friends would certainly be capable of killing current Spidey.

I'm not even being sarcastic lol.

It's a similar situation with the X-Men, as despite being feared and hated outcasts that even the in-universe superhero community held at arm's length, they were, in their heyday, the most popular superhero team among real-life comics readers and fans. I think a lot of that came from how those readers and fans related more to the X-Men (and Spider-Man) as being misunderstood and alienated by society at large compared to the Avengers, who largely came off as champions and defenders of that same society, especially with Captain America and Iron Man --- the former with his American flag-themed costume and shield, the latter being a multibillionaire industrialist in his daily life --- as the leading figures there. (Of course, Cap and Tony were a lot more complicated and complex than those somewhat simplistic writeups would indicate, but you try telling that to the fans and readers who were more into X-Men and Spider-Man back in those days.)
    X-Men being isolated from the super-hero community is very much a recent thing though, before the other heroes treated them just fine, and while we did have hiccups like how the original Secret Wars had tension between the X-Men and the other heroes, that was about it, otherwise they all got along well enough.

A stupid thing about X-Men being isolated nowadays is that at some point, probably starting in the 2000s, whenever other heroes show up in X-Men comics, they have a high chance of being assholes (We even have a silly case like Reed being a douche to Cyke because the X-Men over manipulating satellites on the planet to hide the fact that the planet destroying bullet is coming to Earth so they can save Kitty, and Reed is still a douche after the explanation when he does worse **** just out of curiosity sometimes), and whenever other X-Men show up in another comic, the X-Men are the assholes... **** like Avengers vs X-Men certainly didn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I mean, if he really stole the luck from the other Spider-Men, he's just an unintentional, accidental universe destroyed, 'cause he didn't **** over the other Spiders on purpose, nor is he at fault for Spider-Carnage going insane and all lol.

Specially considering fandom butthurt is what killed this website before, and while it's unlikely it'll happen again with the more strict way this place is modded, it'd be better if Marvel didn't do **** that causes butthurt.

Not that I'm saying if they do cause butthurt that they're 100% at fault for it, ultimately people are responsible for their own actions, and any idiot doing **** like sending death threats to creators because of fucking comic books is pathetic, it's just it'd be better if Marvel didn't start this nonsense to begin with... But then again, Brevoort's disgusting sales method means they'll do it once in a while.

An event would be fine, but Spidey really shouldn't be a parasite to **** over the other franchises, it's not fun for the fan of those franchises, and it can be obnoxious for Spidey himself if he gets to be a boring, overpowered Mary Sue like Batman is once in a while.

Like I do wish Spidey was more competent, 80's Spidey was generally pretty awesome (His victory over Firelord is still bad though), but he can be competent without being an obnoxious parasite like Batman...

But do that without being a less fun version of boring.

I mean, JSA and JLA both started with the actual A-listers of the time, it's just that they introduced other characters to actuall be able to develop, someone, since the actual development would happen in their own comics.

Avengers meanwhile was made up at first of "close enough" characters, since they all had their own stories, but not in their own comics, that until a bunch of members left and others were introduced.

I doubt it's anything like that, Iron Man and Black Panther have the same problem (And from what I hear they both also get treated with more respect everywhere except their own damn comics) and neither are as big as Spidey.

I think it's just Marvel picking Spidey's usual melodramatic traits and exaggerating them to the point he's just an annoying loser, instead of someone who has bad things happen and may be dramatic about it, that and, well, current writing trends are also significantly edgier than before, "loser" characters are more accepted and even liked, and this can also be Marvel's attempt at cashing into that, and failing at it lol.

But who knows, it could be something else.

Well, thanks to magic math™ the Hulk never actually killed anyone lol.

You and your friends would certainly be capable of killing current Spidey.

I'm not even being sarcastic lol.

X-Men being isolated from the super-hero community is very much a recent thing though, before the other heroes treated them just fine, and while we did have hiccups like how the original Secret Wars had tension between the X-Men and the other heroes, that was about it, otherwise they all got along well enough.

A stupid thing about X-Men being isolated nowadays is that at some point, probably starting in the 2000s, whenever other heroes show up in X-Men comics, they have a high chance of being assholes (We even have a silly case like Reed being a douche to Cyke because the X-Men over manipulating satellites on the planet to hide the fact that the planet destroying bullet is coming to Earth so they can save Kitty, and Reed is still a douche after the explanation when he does worse **** just out of curiosity sometimes), and whenever other X-Men show up in another comic, the X-Men are the assholes... **** like Avengers vs X-Men certainly didn't help.
    Good and valid points, all things considered.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

I feel the show is good but overrated.

For a visual medium, I find it strange how in all the numerous video appraisals on YouTube, no one ever seems to critique the shows art style.

For me this is the main deterrent- dumbed-down 'cartoon' like proportions, a simplified Spidey costume, and bland washed out muted colours. Venom for example- looks like freakin Johnny Bravo- HUGE upper body, tiny baby-esque legs.

No thanx brah, I much prefer comic/real life accurate proportioned character's. SMTAS is way better, and my personal favourite- Spider-Man 1981 which looks just like a John Romita issue.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    For a visual medium, I find it strange how in all the numerous video appraisals on YouTube, no one ever seems to critique the shows art style.
    Yes, it's stylised. I found it off-putting for about one minute. But the characters' faces were really expressive. They could convey character subtext by facial expression alone. I think it was much the better solution that the 90s Animated Series where the characters were a bit closer to realism, but they couldn't animate facial expressions for toffee.
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 03-15-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Mighty Member

Really? It seems that that is the MAIN thing that gets critiqued... The artstyle (which people commonly mistook for animation) was HEAVILY critiqued back then and nowadays that's almost the only thing people critique. Also back then other stuff that ultimately didn't matter like Montana being Shocker instead of Herman Shultz was critiqued (though people care less about the man behind the mask now).
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 03-15-2023 at 11:35 AM.

The best part of Spectacular's animation style is how fluid and dynamic it made the animation, especially for the fight scenes.

It's why Spectacular has some of the best fights of any Spider-Man show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Really? It seems that that is the MAIN thing that gets critiqued... The artstyle (which people commonly mistook for animation) was HEAVILY critiqued back then and nowadays that's almost the only thing people critique. Also back then other stuff that ultimately didn't matter like Montana being Shocker instead of Herman Shultz was critiqued (though people care less about the man behind the mask now).
    I think people relate to Herman Schultz more after Superior Foes of Spider-Man and just how pathetic they treat him these days .

Also knowing Spectacular they probably would've established his real name was Herman Schultz anyways to have their cake and eat it too.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, like, do I love the art style on its own? No, not really. Do I love that the art style facilitated extremely fluid and fast action scenes that, without exception, looked absolutely fantastic? Yes, I do.

The X-men have kinda become the assholes in their own book these days. Most of them seem to have forgotten that they used to fight against supervillians and racists instead of embracing them.

Astonishing Member

My headcanon is that Spider-Man in-universe has "Bernie Sanders popularity". In the sense that he is probably one of the most liked superheroes in the Marvel Universe (if not the most liked), but certain sections of society - the police, the media, the rich, and the most conservative older Americans - all vehemently dislike him. Also, just like how Bernie inspired a gen of younger politicians (AOC and the others), Peter's Spidey inspired a gen of younger Spidey's (Miles and the others).

The problem is that no higher-up at Marvel would embrace this kind of analogy with Spider-Man, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-15-2023 at 06:16 PM.

I feel the show is good but overrated.

For me this is the main deterrent- dumbed-down 'cartoon' like proportions, a simplified Spidey costume, and bland washed out muted colours. Venom for example- looks like freakin Johnny Bravo- HUGE upper body, tiny baby-esque legs.

No thanx brah, I much prefer comic/real life accurate proportioned character's. SMTAS is way better, and my personal favourite- Spider-Man 1981 which looks just like a John Romita issue.
    The art style is pretty goofy, yeah, and the elbows look like something that action figures would have.

Colors are a bit dull but I don't find it that bad.

Even with those issues though, I feel it did almost everything else right, it's to the point they managed to make Miles Warren interesting lol.

Also while it is worth mentioning that a simpler art style is better for animation, they could really try to make it look better, because DCAU also has a simpler art style and its animations can be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah I remember years ago that whenever I talked about it, a friend of mine would always mock the art style, he always said that Venom looks like a gorilla lol.

Also, really? Montana being Shocker was critiqued? Because that's one of the least weird changes, 'cause Montana had the Shocker tech stolen, he didn't create it, so it makes sense for him.

I like to imagine that Herman exists in Spectacular and works for TriCorp, and that he was the one who came up with the tech, would be funny if he got pissed with Montana for stealing his tech lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The best part of Spectacular's animation style is how fluid and dynamic it made the animation, especially for the fight scenes.

It's why Spectacular has some of the best fights of any Spider-Man show.
    Symbiote Spidey's fight against Sinister Six is still so good.

I think people relate to Herman Schultz more after Superior Foes of Spider-Man and just how pathetic they treat him these days .

Also knowing Spectacular they probably would've established his real name was Herman Schultz anyways to have their cake and eat it too.
    Possibly lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The X-men have kinda become the assholes in their own book these days. Most of them seem to have forgotten that they used to fight against supervillians and racists instead of embracing them.
    Wrong parts of the forum man lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    My headcanon is that Spider-Man in-universe has "Bernie Sanders popularity". In the sense that he is probably one of the most liked superheroes in the Marvel Universe (if not the most liked), but certain sections of society - the police, the media, the rich, and the most conservative older Americans - all vehemently dislike him. Also, just like how Bernie inspired a gen of younger politicians (AOC and the others), Peter's Spidey inspired a gen of younger Spidey's (Miles and the others).

The problem is that no higher-up at Marvel would embrace this kind of analogy with Spider-Man, for obvious reasons.
    I don't think there's a lot of evidence to support this even before the 2000's, 'cause we had silly situations like other heroes starting fights with him just because, and even when the Avengers returned, when the Avengers were recruiting, Spidey decided to refuse and some guy talked **** to him for not trying to join.

What seems to happen with Spidey is that it's a flip of a coin if a random hero is gonna like him or not if they don't really know him, but the heroes who have worked with him a few times tend to hold him in high regards.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 03-15-2023 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I don't think there's a lot of evidence to support this even before the 2000's, 'cause we had silly situations like other heroes starting fights with him just because, and even when the Avengers returned, when the Avengers were recruiting, Spidey decided to refuse and some guy talked **** to him for not trying to join.

What seems to happen with Spidey is that it's a flip of a coin if a random hero is gonna like him or not if they don't really know him, but the heroes who have worked with him a few times tend to hold him in high regards.
    I don't think pre-2000's stuff is as reliable in determining Spidey's status in-universe today. 10+ years happened in the Marvel Universe, and a lot has changed between when Peter was a teenager and became a teacher. Spidey as a teen definitely didn't have that kind of rep, but a Spidey who's been around for a good while? There has to be a reason why Tony wanted Peter to set an example and unmask during Civil War. Or why the same event says Google searches of Peter Parker broke the internet. Stuff like that makes more sense if huge portions of the population like Spidey.

Besides, I said it was a headcanon. lol