Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like the idea of Escapade, I just don't like the execution. If they'd made her a major supporting character, instead of the lead, I think she'd be a lot more popular.

I mean, look at Gabby. Sure, some people still don't like her, but if they're ignored Laura and made Gabby the star? Can you imagine the outrage that would have generated?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    How are we gonna have a vehicle for someone who can't dress? There's a reason Rachel doesn't lead books. The only one who gets away with it is Kitty. I don't want to speak for the Trans community but I'm sure they would prefer someone with style and comprehensible powers.
    I mean, Charlie Jane Anders doesn't speak for the entire trans community but she is trans herself.....Like I'm not trying to single you out, but you're far from the first person I've seen say something similar and the thing is, from what I've seen from trans readers on twitter, Escapade IS being fairly well received by a lot of ppl I know who are trans, so I just mean....I don't think Anders is entirely pulling stuff out of nowhere when creating this character and she is resonating with a lot of people she's MEANT to be representation for. So this might be one of those instances where our assumptions of what members of a group we're not a part of are looking for in a character aren't necessarily in the right ballpark.

Note, this doesn't mean I'm saying cis readers can't have an opinion on Escapade or that we have to like her just because some readers who are trans do. I'm just saying those of us who aren't trans should probably stay away from projecting our own expectations of what the trans community (which of course is no more monolithic than any other) would or wouldn't prefer when it comes to Escapade.

Totally fair. I don't want to speak for them, and I won't. If Trans readers are loving and feeling represented by Escapade, I'm happy for them.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The only thing about Escapade I would prefer is that her powers made sense. Or at the very least the artist makes it seem as though it makes sense on the page.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I enjoyed this. I agree Escapade had too much spotlight but... not the end of the world.

Out of the chosen costumes, does anyone get any references? I'm pretty sure I saw those shoulder pads before, just not sure where.

Looks like Psylocke's Lady Mandarin look.

How are we gonna have a vehicle for someone who can't dress? There's a reason Rachel doesn't lead books. The only one who gets away with it is Kitty. I don't want to speak for the Trans community but I'm sure they would prefer someone with style and comprehensible powers.
    The vehicle is a derailing train. Look at all the outfits in this issue alone and see just what sort of clown show we have in terms of outfits.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I mean..........when you're right, you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The only thing about Escapade I would prefer is that her powers made sense. Or at the very least the artist makes it seem as though it makes sense on the page.
    Right?!? So I’ve been reading Escapade’s NM arc as it comes out on Marvel unlimited to see if it gave me an appetite to read this new series and BOY are these powers confusing. Since she can make any switch, big or small, it gets very hard to track what properties she’s taking from her targets. For example, sometimes the artist would draw Escapade as herself even though she had taken the appearance of a guard.

At the end of the day I don’t dislike Escapade, but it’s honestly a hard pivot from what we were getting before so I can’t help but associate this new direction with a loss of a book that I really loved.

Astonishing Member

The powers feel like a big hurdle for the character at the moment.

Design, personality and relations, can still be changed, altered, updated, expanded, etc. if they don't work for a larger audience in current form.

But the powers as they are presented now are so front and center for her, that they can't be easily "downgraded" to something easier to explain, display or use by following writers and disregarded as the type of "early weirdness" several characters display in their first appearances

Like Gambit needing to shoot green bolts from his eyes to charge up objects.

Looks like Psylocke's Lady Mandarin look.
    Only the head piece though. The rest doesn't resemble it all.

Incredible Member

Escapade makes as much sense in a NM book as Gosamyr did----meaning none at all since Gosamyr was basically a Power Pack character that was shoved into the title which was why pretty everything involving her turned out to be so wishy-washy.

Pretty much the same thing we saw with Gosamyr is repeating itself with the Escapade crud.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    At the end of the day I don’t dislike Escapade, but it’s honestly a hard pivot from what we were getting before so I can’t help but associate this new direction with a loss of a book that I really loved.

Perfectly stated.

But how do you let someone know you are listening to them and not thinking about Ravioli? I mean, it's Ravioli! Mmmm.

I guess I'm closer to indifferent on this? I think it was advertised as being "less serious" than the run that came before it. Which means not only is "that's it" for my beloved New Mutants for right now, it won't even have . . . what do you wanna call it? Like forward momentum of any kind? Which I suppose means it can be easily forgotten and certainly won't feel like a must read for people who want all the books to be moving the narrative forward more often than not.

So while my favs(Wolfsbane, Dani) are there it's almost guaranteed they wont get to do much. I guess it is interesting that Rahne is seemingly more outwardly compassionate towards the animal opponent they end up facing in this issue. I guess that's a space she could occupy that builds on one of her best character traits dating back to the original New Mutants books.

That said, I don't feel too strongly one way or the other about these new characters. Which to me means, I could always like them a lot more or less later down the road. Maybe even by the end of this run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Perhaps the person who said it was being sarcastic then lol
    It did come off as more wishy washy then I would have hopped.

Morgan comparing being able to live forever, fight and die and come back to being in hell made me wonder how Rahne is possessing the fact that she died. Forgive my ignorance of well . . . all religions but isn't resurrection a big deal in Christian faiths?

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    But how do you let someone know you are listening to them and not thinking about Ravioli? I mean, it's Ravioli! Mmmm.

I guess I'm closer to indifferent on this? I think it was advertised as being "less serious" than the run that came before it. Which means not only is "that's it" for my beloved New Mutants for right now, it won't even have . . . what do you wanna call it? Like forward momentum of any kind? Which I suppose means it can be easily forgotten and certainly won't feel like a must read for people who want all the books to be moving the narrative forward more often than not.

So while my favs(Wolfsbane, Dani) are there it's almost guaranteed they wont get to do much. I guess it is interesting that Rahne is seemingly more outwardly compassionate towards the animal opponent they end up facing in this issue. I guess that's a space she could occupy that builds on one of her best character traits dating back to the original New Mutants books.

That said, I don't feel too strongly one way or the other about these new characters. Which to me means, I could always like them a lot more or less later down the road. Maybe even by the end of this run.
    Hopefully this series will start to show that it's setting something up for Fall of X like some of the other minis are and then boom, we'll get an awesome announcement of a new New Mutants ongoing. There's supposed to be some new titles on deck and I have to imagine there's something in the works for the OG team. Fingers crossed!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!