Page 26 of 201 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's weird to see WW have such high profile art again in her main book. Definitely brings a different feel
    Love the art but Diana using the lasso to grab what I think are humans by the neck (and even worse, drag them around by the neck, like those panels seem to show) is disturbing. Sorry, I know everyone's excited about the new artist (and so am I!), but little things like this seem so unlike Diana to do.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    My gosh that art is AMAZING!! The only thing I would quibble about is that it looks ike Diana has the lasso wrapped around the guy's throat. Not something she would do, I dont think. But good gravy, if the writing is up to that art....we are in for one of the best eras of Wonder Woman history.....but that's a big questionable IF.
    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Love the art but Diana using the lasso to grab what I think are humans by the neck (and even worse, drag them around by the neck, like those panels seem to show) is disturbing. Sorry, I know everyone's excited about the new artist (and so am I!), but little things like this seem so unlike Diana to do.
    I agree, but when people here worship the Hiketeia cover like it's an awesome moment of her being powerful, I'm not surprised they don't care about this.

The art is pretty, but the use of the lasso is not very encouraging. Is that what King by making her classic weapons "cool"? Making them as violent as the sword and shield?

Comments like this are always funny to me given how thrilled everyone was when King said he wouldn't be featuring the sword in this volume. You guys remember the David E. Kelley version didn't use a sword either, right?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-25-2023 at 04:50 AM.

Yeah I’m just gonna write a series where Diana just stands around twirling the lasso saying “Peace. Love. I’m stronger than Superman” over and over. Compelling stuff.

They could have shown her dragging him by looping the lasso around his chest/torso, but I think - considering how pissed Diana looks - it works for her to be a bit more aggressive. She might have been at the graveyard for a private moment, and she is still letting the agent use his hands. How well this moment works for me really depends on what's really going on. The run could be starting in-media-res. Things have already happened. Tensions are high.

"WW needs to use the lasso more"

*WW proceeds to use the lasso more*

"Wait, no not like that"

I mean, sure, she could've wrapped it around the guy's torso, but there's clearly no lethal force at any point and honestly...I'm just not gonna get mad about Diana being mean to essentially ICE agents.

With the world how it is right now, I'm so about that and so not about super-cop antics. Give me this over her being buddy-buddy with the military or peacefully handing robbers/drug dealers to the police any damn day.

Fantastic Member

I understand how the lasso around the neck could be a jarring image to longtime Wonder Woman readers. But it isn't really the first time we've been exposed to the visual idea of it. She generally employs it when in battle with other superpowered beings. I think that some writers believe that when it's employed in this manner, it adds a level of "Oh wow! The lasso is badass!" There are certainly other ways to visually convey this. Gail Simone spent a lot of time establishing that during her run.

I found its employment jarring, too. But I'm willing to wait to see the context as to why Diana thought that particular use of the lasso was necessary. I mean, outside of the fact that many people in the audience might actually want to choke an AXE (ICE) agent.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

She isn't killing the guy or has intent to kill him so i don't mind the visual

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Sampere's art gives Diana such a commanding presence. I love the use of the tiara & lasso seen in this preview. September can't come soon enough.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I don’t know, I kinda feel like the lasso around the AXE member’s head and shoulders is just for emphasis, like her casual shantay up to the the leader of the Amazon hunters.

She’s not going to hang him, but she’s letting them know they’ve messed with the wrong woman after everything she’s done for the U.S.

BUT, I could be reading way too much into it. It all depends on how you decide to interpret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "WW needs to use the lasso more"

*WW proceeds to use the lasso more*

"Wait, no not like that"
    They tried to murder her in cold blood! She’s within her right to not be gentle in return. I’m sure King will provide more legit reasons to be upset soon enough, but I don’t feel bad at all about Diana not handling these guys with kid gloves. Long as she’s not killing them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They tried to murder her in cold blood! She’s within her right to not be gentle in return. I’m sure King will provide more legit reasons to be upset soon enough, but I don’t feel bad at all about Diana not handling these guys with kid gloves. Long as she’s not killing them.
    I should have added a s/ for clarity.

I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I should have added a s/ for clarity.

I agree with you.
    Oh no I got your sarcasm lol, just reacting in agreement with you about some of the handwringing I’m seeing here. I got why the WW fanbase is sensitive to stuff like this, but nothing so far is worth being anxious about. Frankly it’s King’s dialogue more than anything I have trepidation for, still not recovered from BATCATBATCATBATCAT.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/