Page 51 of 201 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Tom King did a Word Balloon interview, dropped tons of new details:

- Reiterated that the first arc is gonna be primarily about Diana (though Nubia is still queen of the Amazons and appears in at least the first issue), but said he plans to get to Nubia, Donna, and Cassie and wants to do a long run where he gets to include the whole Wonderfam. Doesn't want to control them so much that other writers can't do what they want with them

- The series is gonna have 10-page backups about the broader world of WW/the Amazons (some written by King, others not)

- Not a lot of mythological stuff or Themyscira in the run - wants to really have her on Earth interacting with the world like Superman and Batman do. The book is gonna be heavily based in Washington DC

- Asked about whether he's going to show Diana's queerness: "It's tricky but it also isn't, you're just gonna have to read the book." Interesting...

- Asked about Trinity's father: That's part of the mystery and it's possible that she doesn't have a father. Said the run is gonna explore how Trinity "comes to exist" or something sort of pointedly, which kinda hints that it's not gonna be a traditional birth

- Hippolyta is going to be an important part of Trinity's story

- When asked about the clay origin, he basically said as subtly as possible that DC won't let him make a definitive statement but he's pro-clay origin and pushing to make it canon. Also said he considers the Perez run definitive WW canon

- Thinks WW is the best person in the DCU, better than Superman. Talked again about how she's a rebel who's more radical in her beliefs and will take a step beyond just doing the right thing, status quo be damned - has no reservations about breaking the law whereas Superman is a bit more deferential to it. Says in the first issue she makes choices that Superman wouldn't

- Thinks WW has a really good rogues gallery and his favorite villains are Giganta and Circe, but the first arc is gonna have a new villain

- Gave huge praise to Historia (and apparently Kelly Sue and Nicola are gonna be on Word Balloon on Thursday to do a vol. 3 deep dive)

- Thoughts on WW's supporting cast: Likes Steve and Etta but feels like some work needs to be done with them, Steve being in the military is immediately gonna drive conflict between him and Diana. Some people asked about Ferdinand and he laughed and said "we'll see"

- Likes Rucka's Rebirth approach to Cheetah where she's not purely a nemesis, thinks sometimes she and Diana are better allies than enemies which is going to inform how he deals with her in his run

- Diana's gonna talk to animals. And the jet's gonna be there. Did not confirm or deny a Jumpa appearance
    You know how you want to hate on someone because they're a former CIA agent and they've written some quite problematic books in the past, but you can't because you like everything they're saying currently about a book you're going to collect?

That's me right now. LOL!

Y'know if there's one thing I'll give Trinity is they did not maker her a literal visual clone of Diana like how Jon and Damien are just mini-Clark and mini-Bruce.

Anyways, nice to see King has good taste with Circe and how he ranks the Perez run. He still wrote some pretty bad WW elsewhere but these interviews get me rather optimistic.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Tom King did a Word Balloon interview, dropped tons of new details:

- Reiterated that the first arc is gonna be primarily about Diana (though Nubia is still queen of the Amazons and appears in at least the first issue), but said he plans to get to Nubia, Donna, and Cassie and wants to do a long run where he gets to include the whole Wonderfam. Doesn't want to control them so much that other writers can't do what they want with them

- The series is gonna have 10-page backups about the broader world of WW/the Amazons (some written by King, others not)

- Not a lot of mythological stuff or Themyscira in the run - wants to really have her on Earth interacting with the world like Superman and Batman do. The book is gonna be heavily based in Washington DC

- Asked about whether he's going to show Diana's queerness: "It's tricky but it also isn't, you're just gonna have to read the book." Interesting...

- Asked about Trinity's father: That's part of the mystery and it's possible that she doesn't have a father. Said the run is gonna explore how Trinity "comes to exist" or something sort of pointedly, which kinda hints that it's not gonna be a traditional birth

- Hippolyta is going to be an important part of Trinity's story

- When asked about the clay origin, he basically said as subtly as possible that DC won't let him make a definitive statement but he's pro-clay origin and pushing to make it canon. Also said he considers the Perez run definitive WW canon

- Thinks WW is the best person in the DCU, better than Superman. Talked again about how she's a rebel who's more radical in her beliefs and will take a step beyond just doing the right thing, status quo be damned - has no reservations about breaking the law whereas Superman is a bit more deferential to it. Says in the first issue she makes choices that Superman wouldn't

- Thinks WW has a really good rogues gallery and his favorite villains are Giganta and Circe, but the first arc is gonna have a new villain

- Gave huge praise to Historia (and apparently Kelly Sue and Nicola are gonna be on Word Balloon on Thursday to do a vol. 3 deep dive)

- Thoughts on WW's supporting cast: Likes Steve and Etta but feels like some work needs to be done with them, Steve being in the military is immediately gonna drive conflict between him and Diana. Some people asked about Ferdinand and he laughed and said "we'll see"

- Likes Rucka's Rebirth approach to Cheetah where she's not purely a nemesis, thinks sometimes she and Diana are better allies than enemies which is going to inform how he deals with her in his run

- Diana's gonna talk to animals. And the jet's gonna be there. Did not confirm or deny a Jumpa appearance

I like most of what I read here. I'm a bit confused about his comments about his run not using much mythology yet one of his favorite villains is Circe... I'm glad to read that Giganta is a favorite of his. Hopefully he does something that really drives her home as a credible threat to Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I like most of what I read here. I'm a bit confused about his comments about his run not using much mythology yet one of his favorite villains is Circe... I'm glad to read that Giganta is a favorite of his. Hopefully he does something that really drives her home as a credible threat to Wonder Woman.
    I have *such* a Giganta storyline pitch. If I ever get to write Wonder Woman....

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I read it as there wont be gods being the big bads. Circe can kind of be that middle ground

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

King is saying a lot of stuff I love to hear, even if I'm still not wild about Trinity. Between the conflict with Steve, and the coy response to her parentage, it seems there is a good chance that Steve is not her bio dad (could still be an adoptive one though).

King's one long run is Batman, which was ...less than stellar. He tends to work better on one shots or minis, and even those are hit or miss. Hopefully this is more in line with Grayson, Up in the Sky, Supergirl, and the Hal one shot than HiC and Strange Adventures. He's either great or terrible, there is no in-between lol

I like most of what I read here. I'm a bit confused about his comments about his run not using much mythology yet one of his favorite villains is Circe...
    I understood it to mean that these adventures would largely take place in the human world as opposed to her journeying to mythological worlds.

I still hope Trinity has a father and Diana does end up being pregnant with her. Whatever Wonder Woman's origin is, her daughter should still have a natural birth imo. It could also create some interesting situations with the Amazons since Lizzie would still partially come from "man's world".
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-23-2023 at 09:43 AM.

Not really sure what the hang-up is. Circe's one of his favorites but he wants to do a run more focused on the tangible real world.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I read it as there wont be gods being the big bads. Circe can kind of be that middle ground
    Yes. Circe has cache outside of Greek myths proper. She can operate in the realm of super-villain without having to make direct connections to the gods or Olympus, etc.

Fantastic Member

31:59: "Steve [Orlando] said that Wonder Woman has radical empathy. It's beyond; the world isn't kind of ready for it yet. She fights entirely as a last resort. And she has a vision for peace and love that the other superheroes don't have."

That part.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I have *such* a Giganta storyline pitch. If I ever get to write Wonder Woman....
    Me tooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post

31:59: "Steve [Orlando] said that Wonder Woman has radical empathy. It's beyond; the world isn't kind of ready for it yet. She fights entirely as a last resort. And she has a vision for peace and love that the other superheroes don't have."

That part.
    Love it. Completely align with how I think of Diana.

Some really great stuff from the Word Balloon interview.

Happy to hear that Circe and Giganta will be used. If not an outright villain, I can deal with Diana and Cheetah’s relationship as very complicated and dramatic.

Bring on Villainy Inc, Doctor Cyber, Doctor Psycho, Angle Man, Inversion and Kung please!

I really hope we get some good Giganta stuff from the run. She needs it.