Page 121 of 201 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3009

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not a Justice League book, though. Also, technically not in the Bronze Age

And even though I'm not wild her appearance there at all, people's hatred of that story has always been overblown. Mongul was a villain who Superman at the peak of his powers was never able to beat on his own, and misses his chance to do it in that story. The power gap was consistent with what came before at that point. Later to make Clark and Diana more equal, they had to power him *down*
    I know it isn't a Justice League book but it still very much counts as a crossover.

And it isn't just Diana getting the crap beaten out of her by Mongul. It's the lecherous comments from Jason and Bruce, the lack of any meaningful exploration of her character (we see Bruce's desire to save his parents) and even Jason gets to contribute something by putting the Black Mercy on Mongul. Superman also fairs far better against Mongul than she does as he as at least able to hurt him. Even her gift ends up being pointless since it's just a replica of Kandor that Superman doesn't actually need because he has one already. All of this combined makes her presence in the story is superfluous at best, outright offensive at worst.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-07-2023 at 01:43 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I know it isn't a Justice League book but it still very much counts as a crossover.

And it isn't just Diana getting the crap beaten out of her by Mongul. It's the lecherous comments from Jason and Bruce, the lack of any meaningful exploration of her character (we see Bruce's desire to save his parents) and even Jason gets to contribute something by putting the Black Mercy on Mongul. Superman also fairs far better against Mongul than she does as he as at least able to hurt him. Even her gift ends up being pointless since it's just a replica of Kandor that Superman doesn't actually need because he has one already. All of this combined makes her presence in the story is superfluous at best, outright offensive at worst.
    The "lecherous" comments from Jason and Bruce are nothing to get worked up over. Bruce is mainly teasing a horny teenager who is going through puberty, and I doubt Diana would care since she and Bruce had a much less contentious relationship back then. They even planned on going out for drinks together in a prior team up. It wouldn't phase her.

Superman faring better is no surprise since it's his book, and the Kryptonians and the Marvels were the top ones back then, and this was a villain that Superman at his peak couldn't definitively beat. I would still prefer her putting up a better fight and excising Jason so she could drop the Black Mercy (the only improvement Bruce Timm has ever made), but there aren't many others who could last against Mongul at the time. In the context of the time, her even surviving with minor sprains at the end puts her over most others.

The gift is just a harmless joke that people can relate to Superman over. He gets a gift he already owns, and lies because he won't hurt his friend's feelings. He even has the intention of displaying hers instead of the other one. That one seems like a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    But the point is that ultimately the reason Diana was put in the book was to throw an attractive woman at Batman, whom he can reject to show his faithfulness. The whole arc is structured around that, so its hard to ignore it.
    But Diana was also with Steve at the time. Just because Diana flirts, doesn’t mean she’s interested..

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Omg you mean she doesn't spend her entire childhood dressed as Robin!?! I'm SHOCKED

Such great art, glad she’s on a book where more people will see it. Funny thing about Trinity, I was listening to an interview Scott Snyder and Tom King did with each other, and King shared that he was stuck on how to do with a Trinity story that had corgis and samurai because Ortega told him that’s what she wanted to draw. He cheated by asking his daughter for ideas and she said Lizzie should have gotten assigned homework on samurai and King decided to make it a time travel story where Lizzie goes back in time to just interview real ones that also included corgis showing up.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Omg you mean she doesn't spend her entire childhood dressed as Robin!?! I'm SHOCKED
    I feel like the lesson we should take from this is that Damian and Jon should both dress up like a Wonder-Girl.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

The "lecherous" comments from Jason and Bruce are nothing to get worked up over. Bruce is mainly teasing a horny teenager who is going through puberty, and I doubt Diana would care since she and Bruce had a much less contentious relationship back then. They even planned on going out for drinks together in a prior team up. It wouldn't phase her.

Superman faring better is no surprise since it's his book, and the Kryptonians and the Marvels were the top ones back then, and this was a villain that Superman at his peak couldn't definitively beat. I would still prefer her putting up a better fight and excising Jason so she could drop the Black Mercy (the only improvement Bruce Timm has ever made), but there aren't many others who could last against Mongul at the time. In the context of the time, her even surviving with minor sprains at the end puts her over most others.

The gift is just a harmless joke that people can relate to Superman over. He gets a gift he already owns, and lies because he won't hurt his friend's feelings. He even has the intention of displaying hers instead of the other one. That one seems like a stretch.
    Being helpless against Superman and his villains after all the lipservice that she is on his level. No skills or gear making any difference either. Do you defend the notion that she is no match for kryptonians? BEcause comics like that only bhelp to promote that message. Call me when the lipservice about her being a top tier starts to have actual feats to back it up.

I think she looks better in this than in her official costume.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    You said you are ok with guns being a legi threat to her.
    Post what I actually said, please. I'll wait.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    Guys, take it easy, but I think Bilquis Evely is going to work on this run, and that she is going to draw Circe again
    https://twitter.com/BilquisEvely/sta...934226432?s=20
    Think this may actually be for her new book Helen of Wyndhorn which was announced today - written by Tom King.

Mighty Member

For as much as people complain about Wonder Woman in the Justice League, the Bronze Age comics were pretty good at having all the heroes team up with nobody getting screwed over.
    How the heck does that claim fit to this:

The power gap was consistent with what came before at that point. Later to make Clark and Diana more equal, they had to power him *down*
    And i am pretty sure i remember you even claiming in another thread that we should honor the probably most sexist era of DC and it's follow-up by making Wonder Woman inferior to Superman's whole goddamned race and Shazam's whole family which must even specifically mean the Bronze Age in case of the latter, can't have been that great in the Bronze Age Justice League if Wonder Woman was even according to you that pathetic....

There's no need for it. Wishing for her to beat up and humiliate other heroes is too petty.
    Maybe someone should've told that to the Batman and Superman editorials as a rule at some point........

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    How the heck does that claim fit to this:

And i am pretty sure i remember you even claiming in another thread that we should honor the probably most sexist era of DC and it's follow-up by making Wonder Woman inferior to Superman's whole goddamned race and Shazam's whole family which must even specifically mean the Bronze Age in case of the latter, can't have been that great in the Bronze Age Justice League if Wonder Woman was even according to you that pathetic....

Maybe someone should've told that to the Batman and Superman editorials as a rule at some point........
    I don't know what conversation you are referring and while I disagree with siege, that really does not sound like them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't know what conversation you are referring and while I disagree with siege, that really does not sound like them.
    He of course did not directly say we should honor the probably most sexist era, but it was something along the lines of Wonder Woman should be weaker than kryptonians and Shazam's family because of the Silver and Bronze Age in a Wonderlight thread about Shazam in the DC forum.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    He of course did not directly say we should honor the probably most sexist era, but it was something along the lines of Wonder Woman should be weaker than kryptonians and Shazam's family because of the Silver and Bronze Age in a Wonderlight thread about Shazam in the DC forum.
    Her most sexist era is the Silver age (more in her own book than JL, funnily enough) than Bronze. And I'm just not an insecure enough WW fan to be bothered by her power ranking compared to the Kryptonians and the Marvels in DC's pretty consistent history.

Her own corner has more pressing concerns.