Page 112 of 201 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 3009

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I'm just hoping that DC and the editors are listening to this. Your top female shouldn't be deemed as difficult to write & draw
    I feel you on the writers but a LOT of great Superman artists have talked about how difficult he is to draw, including Sampere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    They really trying to appeal to the straighties with this comic, huh.
    Hahahahahahaha. My first thought was that it sounds like a riff on the very fun double date issue in his Batman run, but I can't deny that it and the Super Sons + Daughter thing are, like, "sings Sweet Caroline at karaoke" levels of straight.

Tom King is clearly trying his best but the poor man is so terminally a straight guy, and not a "my besties are women" straight guy like Greg Rucka. I'm not surprised he's finding Diana so hard to write - it's hard to get into the mind of an Amazon if being one of the girlies is an entirely foreign concept.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Being strong and gentle is not a contradiction. This is only a problem because most comic books are super one dimensional. And no matter how much people in the industry want to deny it. It is a fact. Most cvomics are super one dimensional.
    You're right that 99.9% of superhero comics are shallow as hell but he was speaking about how the balance is hard to strike visually. I imagine it's difficult to make a character look larger than life and muscular but still warm and approachable.

And man, Sampere hasn't missed even once with these covers. Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, so much for a Cassie costume reveal .

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

With having read only one issue, I dont mind at this point in King saying he finds her difficult to write, if he came in after not having written her really at all (what...one issue of Batman?) I would be more concerned. It's more important if he is actually working to find her character, that he reads his scripts aloud and even her in her accent is far more than I would have given him credit for quite honestly. That she is going on a shopping trip with Clark, makes me hope that King is bringing back the Diana Prince identity.

And yes...Sampere's covers have been just spectacular.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Oh, great. More Batman and Superman stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    They really trying to appeal to the straighties with this comic, huh.
    How? It's not described as a date and Clark is still with Lois.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    There's a reason for that though.

Attachment 135092
    The thing is that's a Roman Goddess.

I know we tend to assume Roman gods are Greek gods with a change of name, but it's really more complicated than that.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-15-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The thing is that's a Roman Goddess.

I know we tend to assume Roman gods are Greek gods with a change of name, but it's really more complicated than that.
    It's been said that Marston used Roman names when he wanted a god to be instantly recognizable, and Greek names when he did not.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's been said that Marston used Roman names when he wanted a god to be instantly recognizable, and Greek names when he did not.
    Wouldn't he have used the names Venus and Minerva instead if that were the case?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wouldn't he have used the names Venus and Minerva instead if that were the case?
    He may have wanted the Amazon's patrons to have more of an air of mystery.

One of the Golden Age Amazons was named Metala. Let's not pretend Marston ever had any rhyme or reason with the names he used.

Don't even get me started on out two favorite redheads Orana and Artemis. The former is named after an Australian Aboriginal word for "welcome" and the latter is an Egyptian Amazon named after a Greek goddess (even though her tribe hates the Greek gods).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Beautiful. I love the use of negative space.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    With having read only one issue, I dont mind at this point in King saying he finds her difficult to write, if he came in after not having written her really at all (what...one issue of Batman?) I would be more concerned. It's more important if he is actually working to find her character, that he reads his scripts aloud and even her in her accent is far more than I would have given him credit for quite honestly. That she is going on a shopping trip with Clark, makes me hope that King is bringing back the Diana Prince identity.

And yes...Sampere's covers have been just spectacular.
    This is where I’m at too. Difficult isn’t necessarily a bad thing when you think about Diana, her spirit, her contradictions (to some people’s interpretations), etc.

I’d rather this process go on than trying to simplify her as acstranger-in-a-strange-land, ingénue warrior babe with a broadsword as she’s been in the past.

I may not love everything King and Sampere end up doing with her, but I appreciate the effort to try and understand and write and depict her complexity from their POVs and creative thinking.

More than Marston used Greek and Roman names interchangeably like most 19th/early-20th century fiction did.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Amazing how much of the hate Yara endured has now been transferred to Lizzie. I wonder what the next Wonder character will be like to take the hate off of Lizzie? lol
    we love to see it
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

My LCS got issue 2 today so I already read it and I know this is early but I do want to jot down my thoughts while they're fresh...

spoilers:
    It's objectively a very well-crafted comic and Sampere once again knocked it out of the park but it made me...weirdly sad? TK doesn't write Diana OOC or anything, but I just don't think he understands what makes her special. Honestly my feelings would be a lot less complicated if the issue was bad or there had been a clear issue with her characterization.

It's pretty clear here that TK's take on the character is "badass rebel with a cause who defaults to mercy but isn't afraid to get her hands dirty." His take on what makes her awesome is that she's an unbeatable warrior who's decisive and stands her ground, and she doesn't revel in violence but she'll switch right to business mode if she must. She hasn't had an opportunity to be warm or gentle yet and we haven't seen much of her supporting cast so maybe this will change, but she seems sort of distant, lonely, and joyless and it feels like TK is afraid to get too close to her. His Supergirl was that way as well, but with her it made sense because she's supposed to be more closed off and alienated.

I'm also questioning the decision to narrate all of it from the villain's perspective. It adds to that distance and I think it's a little jarring how distinctly masculine the whole thing feels. Part of what made, say, Perez's run so special was that the voice behind it didn't feel gendered, but with this book there's absolutely no doubt that a man is at the wheel. And using the unreliable narrator as a way to once again dodge the origin question is a cop-out, but at least he posed doubt.

It's also weirdly not clear if Diana can fly. Maybe she's just choosing to stay on the ground. Idk.

But again, it was a very well-crafted comic with excellent action, really creative structure, and extraordinary artwork. The parallel between the contest and the battle with the army was really cool. I really liked what the issue did with Steve - I'm glad TK took a risk and didn't make it a "not all soldiers" thing. And I'm definitely still intrigued to see where the story goes.

Definitely plan to reread it and I'm fully locked into the story, but right now my enthusiasm for the run is kind of tempered, which is a shame because I was so excited for it.

end of spoilers