Page 165 of 201 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 3009

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Man, I seriously love the negative space covers that Sampere has consistently churned out.
    They’re really, really great.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    King's romances always end badly don't they...
    He didn’t intend for BatCat to be one of them! That was a result of editorial kicking him off the main Batbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Always had a soft spot for the Odyssey suit because it was one of (if not the) first WW stories I read. Book was bad but I like that look. I’m curious how King will approach Diana/Steve, his love of Pre-Crisis stuff doesn’t work in Trevor’s favor here and Post Crisis Trevor is a non-factor. I do like how King is working through Diana’s entire relationship network and establishing how she feels about each major member.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He didn’t intend for BatCat to be one of them! That was a result of editorial kicking him off the main Batbook.
    What were his intentions for them? (asking out of curiosity)
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

What were his intentions for them? (asking out of curiosity)
    They were supposed to actually get married for real in continuity. His sales tanked after he pulled a fast one with issue 50, and because of that they ended up forcing him off early and ordering Tynion to tank the romance in prep for 5G.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

They were supposed to actually get married for real in continuity. His sales tanked after he pulled a fast one with issue 50, and because of that they ended up forcing him off early and ordering Tynion to tank the romance in prep for 5G.
    Did editorial make him not marry them?

Pretty much, among other things.

Issue 50 being a fakeout was always his plan, Bane ruined the marriage to break Batman emotionally/mentally instead of his physical breaking, but then issue 100 would see them get married for real. King just screwed himself over by trying to be clever and when his sales slipped, DC squashed his plans in favor of 5G.

That's not exactly what happened. #50 was always supposed to be a fake-out. King just fucked up by not telling DC marketing that they shouldn't have advertised it as much as they did.

By issue #80 or so, King gets the approval from Warner Bros to actually marry Batman and Catwoman, but then DiDio walks back on his promise and tells King "okay, you can marry Bruce and Selina, but then you are going to have to kill Selina to set-up 5G (yeah...lol). Also spend the last 15 issues setting up Luke Fox as the next Batman.".

King didn't want to write that, so he and DiDio agreed for King to write his ideal ending for his Batman out-of-continuity instead, which became Batman/Catwoman. It wasn't due to sales, it was because King didn't want to set-up 5G. Sales went down during the Knightmares arc but recovered for City of Bane.

King said all this during an interview. He also said Flashpoint Batman was an editorial mandate and his plan was for Bane to be the only main villain.
    Last edited by Reddead; 02-17-2024 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    That's not exactly what happened. #50 was always supposed to be a fake-out. King just fucked up by not telling DC marketing that they shouldn't have advertised it as much as they did.

By issue #80 or so, King gets the approval from Warner Bros to actually marry Batman and Catwoman, but then DiDio walks back on his promise and tells King "okay, you can marry Bruce and Selina, but then you are going to have to kill Selina to set-up 5G (yeah...lol). Also spend the last 15 issues setting up Luke Fox as the next Batman.".

King didn't want to write that, so he and DiDio agreed for King to write his ideal ending for his Batman out-of-continuity instead, which became Batman/Catwoman. It wasn't due to sales, it was because King didn't want to set-up 5G. Sales went down during the Knightmares arc but recovered for City of Bane.

King said all this during an interview. He also said Flashpoint Batman was an editorial mandate and his plan was for Bane to be the only main villain.
    Can I have a link to the interview, please?

Well if the Diana/Steve ship is going back out to sea, hopefully King has a good plan going forward with it. (and that editorial wont **** it up)

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Can I have a link to the interview, please?
    Here. Scott Snyder even tried to warn him that DC was marketing Batman #50 wrong and King was like "nah, it's soap opera, people are gonna love it" lol.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post

Its incredible how much stuff 5G wound up screwing.

Jon Kent was aged up to prepare him to become the 5G Superman and they still haven't walked back on that despite the whole thing going fear-shaped.

Absolutely insane and to think this is what Didio left us in his grand farewell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I love that Sampere cover. So dynamic and kinetic.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Issue 50 being a fakeout was always his plan, Bane ruined the marriage to break Batman emotionally/mentally instead of his physical breaking, but then issue 100 would see them get married for real. King just screwed himself over by trying to be clever and when his sales slipped, DC squashed his plans in favor of 5G.
    That's uncorrected. They weren't going to get married in issue 100. That was never the Tom's plan nor was it Dc's. Didio and Lee made it very clear in that interview that came out just before #50. Married Batman is only for Else World's

King said he ended the relationship exactly how he intended. The pair deciding they don't need a piece of paper. The part of his run that was left out when it prematurely ended was 15 issues of Villain of the week type stories.
    That was what was plan for the end. King hadn't really gotten the chance to do those type of stories in his run and he planned to remedy this by wrapping the run with a bunch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Absolutely insane and to think this is what Didio left us in his grand farewell.
    It was only going to get worse if he was going to stay on. Batman was going to prison after he released Joker in Joker War for him to kill Bane, Superman being a super fascist and a civil war between Jon and Bruce/Clark ending in Bruce killing Clark.

Didio was going to crash the DC plane with no survivors for god knows what. Spite for people loving Rebirth? Or did he think Rebirth was a failure because of weak TPB sales.

I have no idea what goes on in his head.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-18-2024 at 07:16 PM.