Page 147 of 201 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 3009

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Love Greg Rucka's chic, Doctor Who-ish Circe -perfect fit for what the character should be in 2024! For once, Wonder Woman's #2 or #3 supervillain doesn't look like she's part-timing as a greeter, at Disney World. Lex Luthor isn't running around in a body stocking with a jet-pack attached, like the blamed JETSONS...stuck in the Silver Age - similarly growing up Circe's look isn't the end of the Wonderverse.

Love also that Tynion's Circe regards the very theatrical Perez look, with the commensurate chuckle it deserves. Heh!
    Rucka meant well, and probably thought she'd be taken more seriously, but that look extracts all the fun out of her. Theatrical or campy isn't always a bad thing. Don't believe me, watch "Valley of the Dolls" or "Mommie Dearest" sometime.

OOO! Ooo! I've got a new good one for you to check out, "Die! Die! My Darling!" it's free on Tubi, stars Tallulah Bankhead and it's riveting! It's not as great as the BEST Grande Dame Guignol film, "What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?" but it's right up there.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 01-12-2024 at 06:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

In the case of Yara, every depiction of her I've seen has consistently depicted her as an irreverent braggart. She also does not mince words about what she dislikes, considering she has stated multiple times how much she hates the Wonder Girl name.

So yeah I find her attitude her pretty in-character, she is the "Attitude" one. About the only quibble is that her dialogue is rather too flowery, but King does have a habit of writing his characters like philosophers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    In the case of Yara, every depiction of her I've seen has consistently depicted her as an irreverent braggart. She also does not mince words about what she dislikes, considering she has stated multiple times how much she hates the Wonder Girl name.

So yeah I find her attitude her pretty in-character, she is the "Attitude" one. About the only quibble is that her dialogue is rather too flowery, but King does have a habit of writing his characters like philosophers.
    I like flowery language. WW and Heroes in Crisis are the only Tom King books I've read, what should be next?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I like flowery language. WW and Heroes in Crisis are the only Tom King books I've read, what should be next?
    Mister Miracle and Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow are both excellent.

I get that Yara is known for her brashness and cocky attitude but it really comes off unlikable here in my opinion, especially considering the times she's worked with Diana up to this point, and the "flowery language" just doesn't sound like her.

Reading that preview....Are the Wonder Girls trying to make Diana stop, or trying to convince her to let them help?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Reading that preview....Are the Wonder Girls trying to make Diana stop, or trying to convince her to let them help?
    They are competing against her to be able to help her. If they lose, they have to swear an oath to not interfere.

As for Yara....I do not like the character. I have not liked the character...but this does seem to me to be in character for her. She's goading Diana, trash talking...it's usually more something you would see/hear between two guys.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I love everything about that Giganta page. The human's-eye view is insanely effective, really nails the "holy ****" factor of a woman the size of a building that gets lost too often. Even the lettering establishes her scale.

Seems like ego villain talk to me, considering the punchline is Circe turning the agents of her "better" into pigs...

I think the really off thing with Yara is her dialogue, not so much her attitude. Isn't she supposed to have grown up in Iowa or something?

I'm waiting until the rest of the issue to make any calls on the Wonder Girls stuff, but everything with Yara in the preview does seem a little odd to me. I'm glad King recognizes that Diana's relationship with Donna is unique and it's very much wishful thinking but I hope he helps re-establish how close they are.
    Yeah, that's how introduce you someone like Giganta.

Looking forward to how he introduces Pyscho and others.

Of the Wonders, Yara's got the biggest butt. I like her, but I don't think she's written in a way that delivers what she was created for. Mike and Becky wrote her as the fun Wonder Girl - playfully sexy, like Yvonne Craig's Batgirl.

We need to see more of that.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    They are competing against her to be able to help her. If they lose, they have to swear an oath to not interfere.

As for Yara....I do not like the character. I have not liked the character...but this does seem to me to be in character for her. She's goading Diana, trash talking...it's usually more something you would see/hear between two guys.
    Trash talking like she just came from a robot convention .

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    ...we're still with THAT Design?

If people hate Trinity..they will despise Yara in this issue
    Anyone who dislikes Yara in this issue probably didn't like her already.

And while this isn't my favorite Circe design, it is far from her worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I don't think her creator, William Moulton Marston, saw her that way.

As I see it, Dr. Marston's Wonder Woman weaponized the power of truth in her Golden Lasso, to fight for love and freedom. She believed, as I do -as many here do -that free societies, where peace flourishes, must always be ruled by love and truth. I don't think she's championing truth for truth's sake, as modern fans and writers seem to understand.

The children and parents and writers of the post-Cold War and Oprah Age have re-imagined Wonder Woman as a goddess of truth. I think we've pushed truth, through personal disclosure...however relevant or immaterial, to the forefront of what we need Wonder Woman to symbolize to us, ..because we're obsessed with public disclosure, political transparency and, through social media, instant affirmation for what we disclose about ourselves. Like the rest of America, we want to disclose things, secret pain, personal struggles...ANY-thing that might be deemed socially or politically relevant, ..and be applauded for it -that's the Oprah Age.

As an added bonus, ..we Wonder Woman fans have a ready-made, iconic, pop art Goddess of Truth, wrapped up in soft feminism, pretentions to classical literature and liberal politics...to justify our obsessive desire to disclose our truths. All of this Spirit of Truth business is fairly new, actually -not even as old as Lynda's TV show.
    What the hell are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ...What the hell are you talking about?
    What am I talking about?

If you can cite a specific part of my post that you don't or cannot understand, I'm more than happy to discuss it with you. Read my post again and try. If you're not willing to do that much, to have an actual conversation (this time) or ask an intelligent question, ..we have nothing to talk about. Furthermore, if we have nothing to talk about, you have no need to post another response to my comments, ..and trolling will not be tolerated.

So, what exactly are you talking about, Z?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-13-2024 at 05:33 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Every single time they try inserting a Portuguese phrase, they do it wrong lol. Don’t DC editors have access to Google translator?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Every single time they try inserting a Portuguese phrase, they do it wrong lol. Don’t DC editors have access to Google translator?
    Yeah I cringed at it too. In this case it wasn't even a structural issue, they just misspelled a very common word.

They wrote ligeria, instead of ligeira. The second "i" was in the wrong place

I read the PV again, and I think Yara Flor's dialogue is fine. Yara's the 'fun one', the Yvonne Craig of the Wonder Girls; I think Tom nailed that in this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It's great to see Giganta again, especially being drawn by Sampere. I like that they alluded to any and all of her origins being cannon. I'm fond of the gorilla version, myself.

King hit the nail on the head with Circe with why I usually find her disinteresting. Sure, she talks a lot of smack but in the end, she's a dreamer instead of a do-er in most scenarios. She was great in Phil Jimenez's run and in the most recent JLDark series but beyond those portrayals, she's been mediocre at best.
    Loved Circe and Giganta here! With the Tynion/JLD origin, the Who-ish, Ruckabirth Circe is the coolest Circe, ever! I'm still rallying Tom King to let Giganta eat Angle Man or some smaller, obscure wonda-villain.