Page 31 of 201 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    You mean, like in her first animated movie?

Or in the new 52 under Azz where she didn't get this 'base' power until issue 11 or 12?

Or in the DCEU where she didn't fly until her 3nd solo movie which was her 4th appearance in the universe?

Or in her anthology series like Sensation or Agent of Peace where it is up to the whim of the writer to even include this base power?

Or how about the DC Superhero girls, where besides Batgirl, I think she was the only who couldn't fly?

These are the ones I could think right off the top of my head.

So...yes, I can certainly see them doing away with one of her 'base' powers since they have been so consistent with them in the past (sarcasm intended).
    The animated stuff and the DCEU aren't connected to the comics in any way.

Sensation and Agent of Peace were non-canon anthology series.

n52 was a hard reboot. Completely changed her origin and lore. Superman also couldn't fly for some time in Grant Morrison's n52 Action run.

I don't like when they get rid of her flight either, in fact it's a big pet peeve, but this is literally just a continuation of the current ongoing with new numbering and a new creative team.

Fantastic Member

I know some Wonder Woman readers are traumatized by DC's ongoing shenanigans when it comes to Wonder Woman, but some of you are in here inventing reasons to be upset. There has been zero indication that Tom King intends to take away her ability to fly and yet, the topic of conversation has become just that. Let's chill. Let's settle down. That's what I want to do. Just me and you. LOL!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Don't expect to hear a honest description about Azz's run in this forum.
    100% accurate.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Apart from the four villains who have tended to show up the most (Ares, Circe, Cheetah and Silver Swan), here are my top ten foes I’d really like King and Sampere to tackle and spend some time building their characters, motivations and designs. In no particular order:

1. A new, extraterrestrial Eviless.
    2. Villainy Inc - One of the first villain teams in comicdom needs to be explored and elevated within the DCU.
    3. Doctor Psycho - He needs to be developed as a frighteningly powerful villain for Diana and within the DCU.
    4. Giganta - We’ve gotten bits and pieces of an origin for Giganta, but never much of a deep dive into her psyche within the paces of Wonder Woman. She could be so much more than a good visual.
    5. Angle Man - Pick up where Jimenez left off with him and have some fun with him.
    6. Doctor Cyber - I prefer my Cyber a cyborg and I like the Bronze Age Bondian trappings too. Diana and friends need a cabal to go up against and Cyber could provide it in a human-techno-mysticism package.
    7. Superwoman - Time to flesh out the origins and machinations of the Wicked Wonder of Earth 3.
    8. Inversion - Sentenced to a lifetime of pain and discomfort can make someone due horrible things.
    9. Queen of Fables - There are no happy endings when QoF decides to tell your tale.
    10. Armageddon - The guy who thinks we’re better off dead, so a new beginning can be created.

If we’re getting the chance to reboot some things, I’d love to see:
    1. A return to Diana’s clay origin.
    2. Steve as a top agent of the ARGUS organization.
    3. Etta out of ARGUS and becoming Diana’s adventurous best friend and confidant again.
    4. Amazons that are technologically advanced.

Characters I could see getting the Kite-Man treatment:
    1. Mouse Man
    2. Doctor Domino
    3. Paper Man

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Apart from the four villains who have tended to show up the most (Ares, Circe, Cheetah and Silver Swan), here are my top ten foes I’d really like King and Sampere to tackle and spend some time building their characters, motivations and designs. In no particular order:

2. Villainy Inc - One of the first villain teams in comicdom needs to be explored and elevated within the DCU.
    3. Doctor Psycho - He needs to be developed as a frighteningly powerful villain for Diana and within the DCU.
    4. Giganta - We’ve gotten bits and pieces of an origin for Giganta, but never much of a deep dive into her psyche within the paces of Wonder Woman. She could be so much more than a good visual.
    5. Angle Man - Pick up where Jimenez left off with him and have some fun with him.
    6. Doctor Cyber - I prefer my Cyber a cyborg and I like the Bronze Age Bondian trappings too. Diana and friends need a cabal to go up against and Cyber could provide it in a human-techno-mysticism package.
    7. Superwoman - Time to flesh out the origins and machinations of the Wicked Wonder of Earth 3.
    8. Inversion - Sentenced to a lifetime of pain and discomfort can make someone due horrible things.
    9. Queen of Fables - There are no happy endings when QoF decides to tell your tale.
    10. Armageddon - The guy who thinks we’re better off dead, so a new beginning can be created.

3. Etta out of ARGUS and becoming Diana’s adventurous best friend and confidant again.

1. Mouse Man
    2. Doctor Domino
    3. Paper Man
    All of these are dope selections. I would add minor/rare Wonder Woman foes like Queen Bee/Zazzala and Lady Lunar.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    The animated stuff and the DCEU aren't connected to the comics in any way.

Sensation and Agent of Peace were non-canon anthology series.

n52 was a hard reboot. Completely changed her origin and lore. Superman also couldn't fly for some time in Grant Morrison's n52 Action run.

I don't like when they get rid of her flight either, in fact it's a big pet peeve, but this is literally just a continuation of the current ongoing with new numbering and a new creative team.
    If nu52 was a hard reboot, then what about Batman? His lore and titles did not get a reboot whatsoever, if I am not mistaken.

But...you are throwing away the fact that even in other comic books writers have written her as flightless, whether they are anthologies or not.

Time will tell and I am assuming we will get a flying Wonder Woman, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't or in her (hopefully) upcoming animated series.

Here is hoping Tom King can make her into the powerhouse she is supposed to be instead of the lip service that we always get!
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 03-28-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Oh this is an interesting thought experiment.
    I have little confidence in this run being near as good as King is hyping it up to be but for the sake of making a fun little wish list...

Villains I want to see

1. Blue Snowman. In recent years we have been getting more and more of this villain. Its about time we got to see someone take a closer look at Byrna Brilliant and give em their due. Show off why people should care about this fun villain.
    2. Doctor Cyber. One thing that has been made rather clear is that King really has a fondness for the Mod Era. Thus is stands to reason that he would have a pretty good handle on how to approach a nemesis like Doctor Cyber. Let her found Villiany Inc this time around, and go have a ball.
    3. Duke of Deception. If instead things go the mystical and the gods route, id love to see another crack at the god of lies and deceit. Hes never really gotten a chance to break out since his heyday in the golden/silver age, and it would be nice to see him make a better comeback.
    4. Vulture King. A monster that kidnaps people and augments them to become his army of mindless flying minions would be a delight to see.
    5. Doctor Domino. An evil doctor whose head is a domino and he wants to conquer the world! Why is this not used more?!

My top 10 villains I'd like to see in King's run:
    1. Queen Clea - Most of the villains on my list are women, and I'm not sure I fully trust King to do them justice, but one can hope. Clea's been out of commission for way too long and needs to return.
    2. Sharkeeta - I'm a Sharkeeta stan and I'm not sorry about it.
    3. Priscilla Rich - This is cheating a little bit since she's part of the top 4 mentioned previously, but unless Barbara Minerva does something really cool before Cloonrad's run is up, I'm... kind of over her? I really didn't like her become a supporting character. But I've always been in the Cheetah-is-Diana's-Archenemy camp. Bring Prissy back!
    4. Giganta - We still have yet to see a really great Giganta story blow us away which is crazy considering how often she's used.
    5. Zara - Okay, most of this list is classic Villainy Inc., but Zara has such an intriguing backstory. Add in fiery occult fun and I think Zara could be very popular.
    6. Eviless - I really loved Saturna, but honestly I want the name "Eviless" back.
    7. Hypnota - Hypnota's my least favorite of the OG Villainy Inc, but there's still a lot of potential with her. Ditch the "Hypnotic Woman" codename though.
    8. Mouse Man - My pick for the "loser dude" character that King excels at.
    9. Decay - My fondness for Decay knows no bounds, since she was in the first WW comic I ever picked up as a kid (sadly not the Perez one, but the Byrne one featuring Doomsday).
    10. Osira - Such a cool villain with the fun pink pyramid aesthetic.

Honestly I'll be surprised if we see any pre-existing WW villains though.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I know some Wonder Woman readers are traumatized by DC's ongoing shenanigans when it comes to Wonder Woman, but some of you are in here inventing reasons to be upset. There has been zero indication that Tom King intends to take away her ability to fly and yet, the topic of conversation has become just that. Let's chill. Let's settle down. That's what I want to do. Just me and you. LOL!

You don't understand! I'm cool in real life, this is where I get to be an unhinged nerd :P

(But seriously, you know how Myspace used to have Autoplay music? I think we need a chill '90s R&B soundtrack autoplaying here, though I'm more into the mid-late '90s neo-soul vibe myself...)

1. Mouse Man
    2. Doctor Domino
    3. Paper Man
    Love all of this, though I'll admit that I don't really care what happens to Steve at this point and I really am not into the ARGUS stuff at all. Let him ride off into the sunset with Siggy.

Another pick for me would be Adjudicator. Given how much Tom King has emphasized scale and grandeur, I could totally see him coming into play.

And Mouse Man is an absolute prime candidate for the Kite-Man treatment. They should pair him with Giganta now that Ryan Choi's out of the picture, keep up her trend of dating teeny guys (see also: her being Dr. Psycho's ex in the Harley Quinn series).

I hope we get a super soldier story for Steve.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

1. Mouse Man
    2. Doctor Domino
    3. Paper Man
    My only change here is that I would prefer any Dr Psycho story be in the distance a year or two or three.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My top 5 villains I hope to see in this run:

5. Giganta
    4. Angle Man
    3. Kung
    2. Osira
    1. Queen Clea
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Fantastic Member

You know what? I retract that statement. Googling "Wonder Woman" this evening, I found this bit of information I never heard of before. Apparently, in a now-deleted post on his website from around 2005, writer Mark Millar shared this bit of information:

https://logfaqs.com/topic.php?id=79352562

spoilers:
    "The Rape of Wonder Woman" is an unreleased comic book story written by famed Scottish writer Mark Millar, mostly known for his works at Fleetway, DC, and Marvel. These include Wanted, Kick-Ass , Superman: Red Son, Ultimates, and X-Men: Old Man Logan (which would later be loosely adapted into the film Logan).

Millar's body of work in the comic book industry is usually a subject for controversy, since most of his writings are known to be laden not only with political connotations but also gruesome displays of graphical violence. Such examples include scenes in Kick-Ass 2 where the villain known as Motherfucker kills a bunch of kids before he heads out to rape Kick-Ass' alleged girlfriend, and Bruce Banner/The Hulk mating with She-Hulk (his cousin) to create an army of Hulks.

During a talk that allegedly took place on a thread in his own Millarworld forums, Millar stated:

'I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like 'Death of Superman', we had 'Rape of Wonder Woman'; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did.'
    The comic's idea surfaced around 1993, the year of the mentioned Death of Superman arc as well as the Batman arc Knightfall where the Caped Crusader got his spine broken by Bane and is forced to give the Batman identity to violent anti-hero Azrael as he recovers. Despite Millar saying that the story was just a joke he had made, he mentioned the fact that DC Comics was actually considering publishing the story and already had an artist draw a sketch for the comic's first page.

This was meant to be DC's way of exploring a state of weakness to Wonder Woman in a similar vein to the previously Superman and Batman stories; with the comic starting with Wonder Woman being violated in public. However, the increase of rape allegations in the media at the time and a lot of complaints in both DC's writing and art departments lead to the comic's quick cancellation."
    end of spoilers

Wonder Woman readers have every right to be skeptical, suspicious, and terrified. Both because someone thought this pitch was "funny." And because DC seriously wanted to publish it.

That's the thing, there's no telling what they'll come up with.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

You know what? I retract that statement. Googling "Wonder Woman" this evening, I found this bit of information I never heard of before. Apparently, in a now-deleted post on his website from around 2005, writer Mark Millar shared this bit of information:

https://logfaqs.com/topic.php?id=79352562

spoilers:
    "The Rape of Wonder Woman" is an unreleased comic book story written by famed Scottish writer Mark Millar, mostly known for his works at Fleetway, DC, and Marvel. These include Wanted, Kick-Ass , Superman: Red Son, Ultimates, and X-Men: Old Man Logan (which would later be loosely adapted into the film Logan).

Millar's body of work in the comic book industry is usually a subject for controversy, since most of his writings are known to be laden not only with political connotations but also gruesome displays of graphical violence. Such examples include scenes in Kick-Ass 2 where the villain known as Motherfucker kills a bunch of kids before he heads out to rape Kick-Ass' alleged girlfriend, and Bruce Banner/The Hulk mating with She-Hulk (his cousin) to create an army of Hulks.

During a talk that allegedly took place on a thread in his own Millarworld forums, Millar stated:

'I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like 'Death of Superman', we had 'Rape of Wonder Woman'; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did.'
    The comic's idea surfaced around 1993, the year of the mentioned Death of Superman arc as well as the Batman arc Knightfall where the Caped Crusader got his spine broken by Bane and is forced to give the Batman identity to violent anti-hero Azrael as he recovers. Despite Millar saying that the story was just a joke he had made, he mentioned the fact that DC Comics was actually considering publishing the story and already had an artist draw a sketch for the comic's first page.

This was meant to be DC's way of exploring a state of weakness to Wonder Woman in a similar vein to the previously Superman and Batman stories; with the comic starting with Wonder Woman being violated in public. However, the increase of rape allegations in the media at the time and a lot of complaints in both DC's writing and art departments lead to the comic's quick cancellation."
    end of spoilers

Wonder Woman readers have every right to be skeptical, suspicious, and terrified. Both because someone thought this pitch was "funny." And because DC seriously wanted to publish it.
    Someone who'll never touch the character and an entire DC team that hasnt been in charge for 20 years....there's nothing to be terrified of in that aspect. That type of storyline would never happen in todays world and its far from a power not appearing. 2 totally different issues.