Page 160 of 201 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3010
    Fantastic Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/prin...e-vs-godzilla/

Issue 5 goes to second printing suggesting the series is still in high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post

Awesome news! Looks like King will get a long run if he wants after all.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    ...[When] they come to Wonder Woman stories, they don't engage with her unique world, they engage with medusas aand minotaurs.
    We were only five or six years past the very popular film, CLASH OF THE TITANS, when George Perez relaunched the title in the mid-80s, ..and Wonder Woman has been pigeon-holed by Greek mythology, since. I've been saying it for years. The solution is most certainly TWO WW monthly comics, but, WW's dismal or inconsistent sales promise DC Comics won't be trying that, anytime soon.

One monthly, a new Sensation Comics or Amazing World of Wonder Woman, etc...might set on the Island with Diana joining the Amazons on myth-inspired (Greek and others) adventures of the early Perez tone and variety ..AND heroic fantasy genre, recalling LOTR and other successful fantasy series. The other, Wonder Woman, featuring superheroic fantasy in bizarre and faraway worlds...occasionally into Greek myth and beyond -ALSO, teamups with other superheroes! The CloonRad run came very close to achieving this, ..with the TOTA miniseries, the Nubia comics and even that REVENGE OTG thing. The same tone and characters might have been better used, developing a fantasy genre WW monthly, to run alongside the FUN, superheroic, WW comic -classic cast, supporting characters, Checkmate House, Georgetown DC, etc -that Mike and Becky were building. The two monthlies might crossover in the occasional Greek myth story, as the Island and Man's World characters did in the Forties.

Sometimes, it seems Lynda Carter and CLASH are the best and worst things to ever happen to the WW comic. We'll never capture in a comic, what Lynda Carter gave us in her live-action TV show -not with all of these writers, who want to show WW flying around, contemplating what she represents to us. By the same token, the epic magic and DANGER of Ray Harryhausen's CLASH, which I saw in theatres, is more complex than it looks -the horror element, Perez and Bryan Azzarello tried to capture -and isn't going to be recreated in a WW comic, without a very clever and studied writer (horror, pulp fiction, etc).

CLASH even inspired comics writers, before the post-Crisis reboot. George Perez and Marv Wolfman even wrote a NEW TEEN TITANS story in the early 80s, pitting Thia and the Titans of Myth against Donna Troy, the NTT and the Amazons! As I recall, one of the chapters was entitled "Clash of the Titans". Roy Thomas pitted Diana against a Kraken in the pages of WW.

Anyway...well acquitted, Alpha. I think your idea for the WW monthly's content is sustainable, commercially and otherwise.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-25-2024 at 12:10 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post

Cool to hear .

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think it goes beyond myths. Major problem with WW is that almost every new creative team throws away what previous one did. So this lack of consistent vision is felt at every level of WW.
    We can't even get like good striking designs for the Gods. They always keep reverting back to the generic toga look.

I mean if there's at least one thing you should keep from the 2011 WW run its the God designs by Cliff Chiang. At least those were visually interesting.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    We can't even get like good striking designs for the Gods. They always keep reverting back to the generic toga look.

I mean if there's at least one thing you should keep from the 2011 WW run its the God designs by Cliff Chiang. At least those were visually interesting.

Some of the gods have retained their newer designs like Strife/Eris(Chiang) and Ares(Sharp).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The Lasso of Lies
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sovereign’s status is clearly tied to the Lasso of Lies. He probably either used it to retcon history so that he was always America’s secret ruler… or he’s simply used it to trick everyone into thinking he is.
    That's interesting, I didn't think about that. The Lasso of Lies wasn't in the scene with the President so it would have to operate differently than the Lasso of Truth. There is internal monologue that suggests he believes it himself, though he could easily have convinced himself of a lie

Supes stands for “Truth, Justice, And a Better Tomorrow” now so that problem isn’t actually one lol.
    They made Superman woke!!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Maybe you need to believe it yourself for Lasso of Lies to really work?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Maybe you need to believe it yourself for Lasso of Lies to really work?
    I might be misunderstanding what you mean, but that wouldn't be the case would it considering the soldier had no problem with Wonder Woman or his masculinity in that exchange where he was affected.
    Unless you mean the user of the Lasso of Lies. Because that I could see. The user must believe what he infects the person with.

Fantastic Member

It might have been here it was said, but I really liked the theory I read that said that issue 7 the "for the Batman who has everything" issue actually is Diana fighting (or what you want to call it) the Lasso of Lies. So it actually is a Wonder Woman story after all, but they try to trick us into thinking it isn't. After all we know she is captured after 6. Yes 8 says she falls under the influence there, but could be a misdirect.

I'm responding to a comment from another thread here because I think this applies more to King's run in general than Trinity specifically:
    Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Also, is anyone else bothered by the fact that he set everything up around a shallow immigrant/ICE allegory in the first issue (which he immediately dropped) only to completely undermine it by writing Amazons who are just as hyper-violent and hateful as the supposed reactionaries in the story claim? Just threw in some dead lesbians to set the stakes and then forgot what he was even doing.
    Yeah, the potential of the AXE sub-plot kinda fizzled out to nothing, which is actually disappointing because there was a juicy premise there. Back when they first announced this arc, I thought AXE was going to set up a situation where women who don't act a certain way (according to patriarchal standards) are accused of being Amazons, thus intimidating other women into acting/doing as they're told by men.
    Would've been on-the-nose McCarthy-ism/witch hunt metaphor, but having it revolve around the persecution of women and challenging gender roles could've been intriguing ground for Wonder Woman to cover.

But that flew right over King's head and AXE became a literal Amazon hunting team because, apparently, there are/were hundreds of Amazons living in America and we never knew about it.
    And Diana opposing this oppression just became four issues of her beating up the army and government agents that attack her or get in her way with no specific goal or objective. Which is another problem--for all the talk of how much she challenges the status quo, King's Diana has been mostly reactive and rarely pro-active in this run.

I get that it’s a lot of tell not show, but King does make it clear that

A. At first she rallied the JL, media, and anyone who would listen to oppose AXE
    B. When that failed she launched her own investigation, and has done stuff like march right into Steel’s office to get info she needs
    C. Tried to force the Wonder Girls to stay out of it via the contests

So Diana is doing things and making moves, but her problem is she doesn’t know who her real enemy is yet. Once Sovereign attempts to brainwash her, then she’ll know.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The amount of Superman wanking in this run is really getting obnoxious. Last issue we had a whole page of Diana saying how powerful he is, and now she's saying she doesn't have his power. And then issue 7 is gonna Superman-centric. It's like King would much rather write his book instead...

...or I'm just salty about the SS game, I don't know

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    The amount of Superman wanking in this run is really getting obnoxious. Last issue we had a whole page of Diana saying how powerful he is, and now she's saying she doesn't have his power. And then issue 7 is gonna Superman-centric. It's like King would much rather write his book instead...

...or I'm just salty about the SS game, I don't know
    He would rather write sm and it shows.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    He would rather write sm and it shows.
    As a reader of the current Power-Girl run I have to laugh at this. Cause that has an actual implication of a writer preferring another character through Leah Williams blatant favoritism of Lilith Clay/Omen over Power Girl to the people PG is completely reliant on Omen and had to be saved by her from the main villain.

By comparison here its just a couple tokens mentions to another character who hasn't even physically appeared. Kind of puts things in perspectives as to whats really bad.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-31-2024 at 02:31 AM.