Page 148 of 201 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 3011
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I love everything about that Giganta page. The human's-eye view is insanely effective, really nails the "holy ****" factor of a woman the size of a building that gets lost too often. Even the lettering establishes her scale.

Seems like ego villain talk to me, considering the punchline is Circe turning the agents of her "better" into pigs...
    Yeah, the comments on Circe give the same vibe as all of his unreliable narrator speeches about Diana and the Amazons.

King using the Sovereign to muse about Giganta's conflicting origins makes me wonder if he will do the same thing for Cheetah and the Swan.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I read the PV again, and I think Yara Flor's dialogue is fine. Yara's the 'fun one', the Yvonne Craig of the Wonder Girls; I think Tom nailed that in this scene.

Loved Circe and Giganta here! With the Tynion/JLD origin, the Who-ish, Ruckabirth Circe is the coolest Circe, ever! I'm still rallying Tom King to let Giganta eat Angle Man or some smaller, obscure wonda-villain.

I'd be fine if Giganta ate Circe or Ares and gained their powers from it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'd be fine if Giganta ate Circe or Ares and gained their powers from it.
    Me too, DP. LOL

Let a clever writer introduce some cryptic story references suggesting Circe's been lurking through world history, influencing pivotal events...warping reality, subverting destiny, innumerable times -I think I'm intrigued. It presents a kind of cosmic tyranny that's an affront to everything a freedom-loving Amazon, like WW, is foresworn to fight, ..bringing some long-overdue clarity and structure to the enmity between Circe and Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Rucka meant well, and probably thought she'd be taken more seriously, but that look extracts all the fun out of her. Theatrical or campy isn't always a bad thing. Don't believe me, watch "Valley of the Dolls" or "Mommie Dearest" sometime.

OOO! Ooo! I've got a new good one for you to check out, "Die! Die! My Darling!" it's free on Tubi, stars Tallulah Bankhead and it's riveting! It's not as great as the BEST Grande Dame Guignol film, "What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?" but it's right up there.
    Purely from a stylistic POV, I'd love to see Circe adopt a 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' look...a little creepy, like something out of a David Lynch movie. Maybe, for a little while ..or an Elseworlds story. I like the Doctor Who-ish look and cranky, 'old immortal' attitude on her, myself.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-13-2024 at 11:53 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Circe to me should be like Emma Frost. She's sexy and she knows it. She likes to pull a lewk.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, the comments on Circe give the same vibe as all of his unreliable narrator speeches about Diana and the Amazons.

King using the Sovereign to muse about Giganta's conflicting origins makes me wonder if he will do the same thing for Cheetah and the Swan.
    But how many musings can we get about each character in WW without King giving us the definitive origins for most of these characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Circe to me should be like Emma Frost. She's sexy and she knows it. She likes to pull a lewk.
    I agree on this. 100%

Hell, I think Diana fashion needs to also be consistent like Storms.

But how many musings can we get about each character in WW without King giving us the definitive origins for most of these characters?
    I don't think we should expect King to give us the definitive origins, because even if he tried to nail it down, someone else would undo it anyway.

Through Sovereigns musings, we get the options presented and we get to pick. I get clay birth and gorilla girl back for this story if I so choose, so I'm happy

I don't think anyone's brought up ape Giganta in years...

I don't think we should expect King to give us the definitive origins, because even if he tried to nail it down, someone else would undo it anyway.

Through Sovereigns musings, we get the options presented and we get to pick. I get clay birth and gorilla girl back for this story if I so choose, so I'm happy
    To each their own. Tom is all about making his mark and playing coy with every single origin is safe imo

To each their own. Tom is all about making his mark and playing coy with every single origin is safe imo
    And you can make more than mark than just deciding an origin only 12 people care about. Last time anyone cared enough to do anything with Giganta it was almost two decades with Simone and that had diddly-squat to do with whether she was an ape or a scientist who became an ape.

If this was a ground up reboot like what Perez got, or a soft one like Rucka, than sure pick an origin. But it's not, so playing coy and just making sure the characters is memorably/impactfully in the story is what's important.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    And you can make more than mark than just deciding an origin only 12 people care about. Last time anyone cared enough to do anything with Giganta it was almost two decades with Simone and that had diddly-squat to do with whether she was an ape or a scientist who became an ape.

If this was a ground up reboot like what Perez got, or a soft one like Rucka, than sure pick an origin. But it's not, so playing coy and just making sure the characters is memorably/impactfully in the story is what's important.
    Yeah, what Gaius said. Continuity is a free for all in general at DC now, and Wonder Woman in particular has always been a mess. King's usual style actually works better for her than Batman, because she and her characters have never been that solid to begin with. I don't mind the coyness.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I agree on this. 100%

Hell, I think Diana fashion needs to also be consistent like Storms.
    Exactly! Circe is a villain that's changed outfits 10 times in a single issue. Why would she dress down to that one specifically?

Yeah, what Gaius said. Continuity is a free for all in general at DC now, and Wonder Woman in particular has always been a mess. King's usual style actually works better for her than Batman, because she and her characters have never been that solid to begin with. I don't mind the coyness.
    It's annoying, don't bring it up if you're not going to discuss it. All he's doing is making everything more ambiguous.

If someone gives you a puzzle with part of the pieces missing you can put it together and see that it's the Statue of Liberty, but with all the holes in the picture the end result isn't as satisfying.

It's actually worse than that, because sometimes King is calling into question what was either irrelevant, or was a given before he highlighted that it's not.

Exactly! Circe is a villain that's changed outfits 10 times in a single issue. Why would she dress down to that one specifically?

It's annoying, don't bring it up if you're not going to discuss it. All he's doing is making everything more ambiguous.

If someone gives you a puzzle with part of the pieces missing you can put it together and see that it's the Statue of Liberty, but with all the holes in the picture the end result isn't as satisfying.

It's actually worse than that, because sometimes King is calling into question what was either irrelevant, or was a given before he highlighted that it's not.
    Why discuss it? What about Gigantas various origins is substantial for the story?

It's seriously a non-issue

Why discuss it? What about Gigantas various origins is substantial for the story?

It's seriously a non-issue
    I agree, that's why there's no reason to go into it if you're not going to go into it.

I agree, that's why there's no reason to go into it if you're not going to go into it.
    Well he's already not going into it. But Sovereigns musings do allow us to pick the origins we prefer. Sometimes that's better than having a dumb origin nailed down.