Page 105 of 201 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 3012

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/live/5uuM2O2...qz47TigRcSb1BX

-First issue of King’s WW was the highest ordered issue of WW in 20 years and it sold out
    Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Now I'm wondering what happened 20 years ago that made the last highest-ordered issue sell so well. Maybe it was the issue where she kills Max Lord? Or Hippolyta's death during the big OWAW event?
    Was wondering that too. Originally thought it might have been something in the 90s (only that I realized the 2000s are what are 20 years ago now )

Think it'd probably be the first issue of the Heinberg relaunch, it ranked #4 in in the month it came out at over 130,000. Largely coming off the momentum of Infinite Crisis.

Bit on the demographic makeup of WW's readership I found interesting. Would be interested to see the makeup of other books.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-30-2023 at 02:10 PM.

Incredible Member

The 6-issue Walt Simonson run was in the first 1/2 of 2003, and there was national news coverage that WW (gasp!) CUT HER HAIR SHORT.

But my guess is that it's Rucka's first issue, which followed Simonson's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    The 6-issue Walt Simonson run was in the first 1/2 of 2003, and there was national news coverage that WW (gasp!) CUT HER HAIR SHORT.

But my guess is that it's Rucka's first issue, which followed Simonson's run.
    I don't see why Rucka's first issue would attract particular attention

It was Heinberg.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It was Heinberg.
    That makes sense. It was a pretty great issue -- and run -- short as it was. It was mostly downhill from there. The next arc was by a famous author (blanking on her name -- maybe Jodi Picoult) and didn't impress. I think they had loss Dodson by then, and most of the set up from the inital arc. Nothing like launching a book successfully -- then discarding everything that made it so.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    That makes sense. It was a pretty great issue -- and run -- short as it was. It was mostly downhill from there. The next arc was by a famous author (blanking on her name -- maybe Jodi Picoult) and didn't impress. I think they had loss Dodson by then, and most of the set up from the inital arc. Nothing like launching a book successfully -- then discarding everything that made it so.

The Dodsons hung around until the early part of Simone's run. Picoult's short run was during Amazons Attack which went over like a lead balloon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The Dodsons hung around until the early part of Simone's run. Picoult's short run was during Amazons Attack which went over like a lead balloon.
    Ngl I didn't hate Jodi Picoult's run. It was obvious DC didn't give her enough Wonder Woman background information, but she wrote fun dialogue. Her Diana and Nemesis were like Dave and Maddie or Sam and Diane, a bickering future couple you wanted to see get together.

For better or worse, Heinberg is who we have to thank for Sarge Steel's reemergence in the book. Though how he didn't figure out that Diana Prince was Wonder Woman, when she's standing in front of a giant monitor with Wonder Woman's image on it, I'll never know.

ww_400x600.jpg

Then and now Sarge Steel isn't very bright.

Ngl I didn't hate Jodi Picoult's run. It was obvious DC didn't give her enough Wonder Woman background information, but she wrote fun dialogue. Her Diana and Nemesis were like Dave and Maddie or Sam and Diane, a bickering future couple you wanted to see get together.
    No one wanted to see Diana get together with Nemesis. Not the way Picoult wrote him. I don't think even Picoult herself wanted to get them together based on a review I once read.
    For better or worse, Heinberg is who we have to thank for Sarge Steel's reemergence in the book. Though how he didn't figure out that Diana Prince was Wonder Woman, when she's standing in front of a giant monitor with Wonder Woman's image on it, I'll never know.

ww_400x600.jpg

Then and now Sarge Steel isn't very bright.
    Well, if this type of disguise still works for Superman...

Yeah, this is just one of many reasons the Diana Prince secret identity should have been left in the trash bin where it belongs.

For anyone that dislikes Diana Prince, hate to break it to you, but I think Tom King will use her in his run and prove her relevancy. The storyline calls for Amazon discretion, subterfuge and espionage, if they're going up against the United States. Diana Prince fits with those qualifications.

DP SAMPERE.jpg

Well, the idea of her creating a persona specifically to dismantle the U.S. government is interesting, but it doesn't feel much like Wonder Woman to me

And it's certainly not a classic seceret identity (thankfully)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Well, the idea of her creating a persona specifically to dismantle the U.S. government is interesting, but it doesn't feel much like Wonder Woman to me

And it's certainly not a classic seceret identity (thankfully)
    How could it not be? Diana Prince debuted when Wonder Woman did.

How could it not be? Diana Prince debuted when Wonder Woman did.
    Diana prince as a nurse is a classic secret identity.

Diana Prince as a persona she creates to dismantle the U.S. Governmet from the inside isn't how a classic secret identity. It's a bit subversive, and I like that. I still don't think it feels much like a Wonder Woman thing, but it is interesting if it's where it goes.

And I gotta say, Princess Diana hiding out in the world as Diana Prince is pretty dumb.

It's like Clark Kent calling himself SuperClark

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    And I gotta say, Princess Diana hiding out in the world as Diana Prince is pretty dumb.

It's like Clark Kent calling himself SuperClark
    Is it? Princess Diana/Diana Prince sounds clever to me. Create a real-sounding secret identity name by playing with your real first name and your royal title. Plus, I give it a pass in regard to feasibility since it was created in the forties, when silly, harmless conceits like alliterative names and punny names (Clark Kent, Lana Lang, Etta Candy) were popular tropes in comic book storytelling.

If she is hiding from the government in Washington, while being in Washington, and using the name "Diana Prince", it's kind of silly that she thinks that's a good persona yes.

I don't have anything against silly things, I'm just saying it's even more silly as a way of hiding yourself than Clark Kent wearing glasses